hello, i am fairly new to guitar and all the theory about it etc.
i've read about scales and theory and stuff.
but is it really needed to learn a bunch of scales and all the notes on the fretboard to play well?
i'm not really into creating my own solo's and writing music for now, i just like to play along with songs i like rather than making my own music.
i'm not interested into forming a band or something like that for at least the upcoming 5 years so i just play guitar for myself and not with anyone else.
so when i see ppl asking in all those threads: what to learn now and what shall i start doing now. there are always ppl telling them to learn scales and chords etc around the fretboard.
so is it really needed to start learning scales and a lot of theory to become a good guitar player that can play along with songs like Racer X - Technical Difficulties? just to name one.
if someone or a few ppl could plz clear this up for me, since if its that important i rather start with it as soon as possible so i wont say after 2 years... damn i wish i learned this and that back than..
also, what are stuff like scales for? learning a good sounding pattern to make solo's with or to increase your speed/accuracy/stamina and technique?

Greetings, Rob
learning music theory will allow you to understand the natural flow and progression of music and the overall mathematical equation that it is. guitar playing is no different than playing something classical on a piano - just a different instrument. now, if you want to randomly throw stuff out there - then that's your dig. but if you talk to/listen to real musicians, there's an art in what they do. scales/tune/timing etc...all these things go into playing a song. you don't randomly play a rhythin under a solo and vice-versa...they are intertwined, in the same key etc..knowing music theory and scales etc.. can help you with that.

It will also help you to understand the music you read and what you are playing...you'll get the feel for the music and you'll start to add your own element to it as you understand it.
Its will help you to learn a song. If a song is in a key of D minor (Just a random scale), and you are good at ear training, you will be much better at learning the song. It's just going to help you so much when you learn songs.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
As with any instrument, you're better off knowning the fundamentals than not knowing them. In 2 years, do you want to be like the person that listens to a song, figures out it's in D# in the blues scale and then name the chords of the rythm (and understand why it sounds good), or do you want to be the person that just plays some Metallica riffs? The way I see it, that's what it really boils down to.

If you want to understand the instrument, you have to learn music theory. Also if you don't know anything about music theory, how would you jam with a fellow guitarist? Just my 2c.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I'd learn the theory if I were you (but I'm not so it's your choice)!

When you do finally start playing in a band, if the other members have even the basics of theory you'll be lost and having to play catch up.

This site (or rather the people on it) will always argue about this topic. Learning theory won't make you a worse guitarist but it will make you a better musician. Is it really too much effort?
Yep. It's pretty essential to know the nuts-n-bolts as you progress. Sure, you can get by without knowing anything about chords or scales, but it'll make life a whole lot easier and make the guitar seem less difficult to understand once you have a grasp on some theory basics.

It's like trying to find your way through a strange neighborhood. Sure, you can just drive around getting lost untill you find your destination, but it'd be a lot less hassle with a map.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play