Im about to get a guitar in the next couple of days off ebay providing it all goes through fine, now ive picked up a beginners book and a dvd to hopefully teach me some basics (im a complete beginner)... just out of curiosity is it worthwhile taking guitar lessons at all? as ive heard ppl say that everything you need is available on the net nowdays.

If i was to get lessons should i try getting some basics down first and then look into it or start pretty much when i get my guitar .. just looking for some opinions on this.
You can find a how to on just about anything on youtube. If you want the face to face instruction go for the lessons, otherwise i would say you dont really need them. Its really personal preference man
a guy on youtube, his name is justin sandercoe, im not sure if im spelling his name right but search google and look up his website. Incredible man that will teach you everything you need to know about guitar. The rest you will pick up naturally.

But if you can afford lessons, go for it! Theres no faster way to learn, just make sure the teacher is reputable and is going to teach you stuff you actually wanna learn!

Good luck!
Yes nearly everything you need to know about guitar is on the internet

but

no one on the internet can evaluate your playing in real time, and give you feedback on your progress, keep you focused for an hour or so at a time, work out exactly what you need to do to progress in guitar and give you enthusiasm to keep practicing, or kick your ass when you arent practicing.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Yes nearly everything you need to know about guitar is on the internet

but

no one on the internet can evaluate your playing in real time, and give you feedback on your progress, keep you focused for an hour or so at a time, work out exactly what you need to do to progress in guitar and give you enthusiasm to keep practicing, or kick your ass when you arent practicing.

exactly. a video cant help you with your physical technique. you will usually pick up bad habits and not realize it. if your in person a teacher will recognize this and help. a video wont tell you when your holding your pick wrong or holding your wrist wrong. these are small things that you may not consider now. but later down the road may affect your progress or your technique
Once you get your guitar start getting to know it first. Look thru the local classifieds or bulliten borads at the local guitar shops for musicians teaching. Guitar lessons can get expensive I paid $40.00 a half hour or so for my son to get lessons because I do not have the patience to teach and I don't consider myself that good anyway. Those lessons were thru a guitar shop and overpriced IMHO. Someone that teaches on the side should be a lot cheaper. The only plus was I got to sit in on the lessons so I actually pick up a couple things. Where I live if your young enough the Boy and Girls club has someone giving guitar lessons and all you had to be was a member so look around your area and see if there is any local comunity centers that offer lessons. I basically taught myself but I know I would have been much better off taking lessons and would have learned stuff much faster. Luckily I picked a lot from other guitarists over the years. As far as the lessons on the internet go they are OK but I have a hard time following them for some reason.

Here is the big thing and where my son messed up! If you seriously want to play, practice when ever you have spare time and I mean every spare minute you can pick up your guitar. My kid would drop his guitar and run out with his friends and never get much practice in and it took him forever to learn basic songs.
Cheers for the responses im thinking i will get a few lessons even if it is to pick up on bad habits i may be developing etc cos im pretty keen to learn... might have to look into the classifieds.
Hello, I would recommend lessons if you want to progress fast and learn the correct way. There are things that are very difficult to learn on your own and it helps to be taught certain things from someone who is able to teach correctly. Here is a great website that offers a great program. It is one of the best on the net and they are actually offering a special right now. I would take advantage of the deal before it is gone. I just hope you get to read the reply before it is taken down. You really can't go wrong for the price. It is loaded with so much great info that will make your playing take off fast. Let me know if you have any questions, have a great thanksgiving: http://pinurl.com/9p3
I take lessons, best thing I ever did. You'll understand theory alot better IMO. Alot of people have there own opinions. Just trust your teacher and do as he says and you'll be fine I bet.