I've been playing for just over two years and just playing with my thumb. I want to play with a pick but I have a hard time to hit one string at a time. Usually what happens is the pick continues and hits one or two strings below. And even I have muted them the noise is there and is frustrating. Please don't tell me to practise, It's what I do for the past month, any other advise?
uhh uhh uhh maybe if you hold your pick a different way, making the pick just come out of your thumb so where your thumb goes the pick goes.
You've been playing for 2 years yet you can't play with a pick or pick single strings? It seems like you have a bigger issue than just the inability to play like that.

You said don't say practice, but thats all there is too it. Perhaps try different practicing techniques. When I started to learn how to pick properly I had 3 methods.

1. Use all four fingers and start at the top fret to the fourth fret. Pick the string open, then 1-2-3-4. Then repeat this up and down the strings.
2. Get used to picking a single string with a line of notes on the same string.
3. The best method to use with these would be to attempt to play them without looking at the guitar. Close your eyes, look up, or whatever. This is how I truly learned how to pick properly without the issues your encountering. If you can feel the guitar, than you can play the guitar. You don't need eyes to play.
What i did to fix that was to not come straight down at the other strings, have it come off at an angle, so it misses the strings below it.
wow, I thought this was mastered after the first month of playing 0.0 atleast thats how it was with me...
use heavy picks.
practice scales without looking at the guitar (watch a movie while your at it)
use alternate picking
Practice - there's nothing else to say. You know what it is you want to do, work on it until you can and play slowly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
And if you're still struggling after all that get a teacher - they'll be able to watch you and tell you exactly what you're doing wrong.
Quote by steven seagull
Practice - there's nothing else to say. You know what it is you want to do, work on it until you can and play slowly.

Haha, slowly? I can play slowly! I mean how could I play a piece like cliffs of dover right?
Learn to play it slowly first - you can't learn how to play something quickly until you can first play it correctly.

There's a speed at which you will be able to play any piece correctly, it may be a snail's pace but that's where you have to start. Use a metronome to set the beat, when you feel you're ready then increase the speed by 5 bpm...if you start mucking up then you've sped up too soon and need to slow back down.

Might take days to get some pieces up to speed, might take months or even years - it all depends how far ahead of your current abilities something is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Erm, this has'nt really been a problem for me, but you could try doing at an angle like sw1ss023 said, or you could take the pic off the string quickly. never know, it could work!?!
Just practice. I had this skill down in the first two months of playing. The best thing to do is practice some scales and alternate picking.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
try anchoring your pinky.

just rest it wherever it is most comfortable and that will serve as a kind of guide to let you know where you are.

Also, make sure you're using both downstrokes and upstrokes. Once you pick down once, you should automatically get ready to pick up on that same string again.

Just get on your low E and spend a while practicing picking it.
Scales, scales and more scales. I can't fingerpick. Never cracked it. But I can arpeggio pretty good and fast. Its what your right hand's for.
Quote by Rasputin92
Haha, slowly? I can play slowly! I mean how could I play a piece like cliffs of dover right?

Sound advice is offered and you get snippy with the people trying to help you? If you can play Cliffs, then why are you in here asking for help for a problem that 1 month n00bs have no issues with?

You obviously need more control from you picking hand (and no I dont mean fingerpicking). Using a pick has a different feel and technique, as you have painfully discovered.

Practice at it till you get it. It IS that simple
Quote by Sharck
try anchoring your pinky.

just rest it wherever it is most comfortable and that will serve as a kind of guide to let you know where you are.

Also, make sure you're using both downstrokes and upstrokes. Once you pick down once, you should automatically get ready to pick up on that same string again.

Just get on your low E and spend a while practicing picking it.

No.
Just no.
Don't do it.
I'm learning to pick all over again because I used to anchor.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Benjabenja
No.
Just no.
Don't do it.
I'm learning to pick all over again because I used to anchor.

Hes right, anchoring is the worst advice anyone can give you, you better learn to pick without anchoring, or you'll be forced to learn to pick all over again in the future...
Nothing wrong with anchoring. A lot of great guitarists do it. It's just a choice.

Edit: I know that it's kind of a controversial issue, but you can't just say that it doesn't work for no one. Just like playing with your thumb, Wes Montgomery was amazing, but it's not something anyone would recommend really to start of with.
Last edited by Thunderstorm at Nov 27, 2008,
Theres a lot of very good advice here but I thought I might add is that your wrist action might need to be a bit more controlled if your pick continues. Kust work on and... practise what people have already mentioned here
Customized Fender Stratocastor Standard
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Lag GLA200BCE
Quote by Thunderstorm
Nothing wrong with anchoring. A lot of great guitarists do it. It's just a choice.

Edit: I know that it's kind of a controversial issue, but you can't just say that it doesn't work for no one. Just like playing with your thumb, Wes Montgomery was amazing, but it's not something anyone would recommend really to start of with.

Truth.
I can't stand when people say something like "anchoring automatically equals bad form" and everybody treats it as if it's an absolute law.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.