Yo!

Time for my first build.
yeah!
Body and Neck are going to be from Warmoth.
All the other Hardware form a site here in Sweden (GMF.se).
Made this alread now so that I can ask questions and later on upload pic when I get to work.

Here are the stats:
Strat body
EMG H in neck and 81 in bridge
rear routed
routed for 3 controls in standard strat position
custom routing for the pickup selector at the lower horn
Original Flyod Rose Tremolo
KWS neck (maple with rosewood fretboard)

Here are the Questions I have so far:
Will it be ok to paint the body outside by around 0 degree Celsius, but of course inside to dry?
What sort of color/lacquer do you recommend?
How many layer of the different lacquertyps would i need to do?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Nov 26, 2008,
I wouldn't paint in freezing weather, paint won't flow consistently at that temp. If the wood isn't hideous why not stain it?
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
Quote by damskippy
I wouldn't paint in freezing weather, paint won't flow consistently at that temp. If the wood isn't hideous why not stain it?

Well. that would also be a solution. Body wood is alder so it's not going to be super pretty. but this would defiantly be the cheapest solution, i guess.
what would I need to do it?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
Well. that would also be a solution. Body wood is alder so it's not going to be super pretty. but this would defiantly be the cheapest solution, i guess.
what would I need to do it?

Go to the hardware, store find the color stain (waterbase) that appeals to you and some tung oil. They make a stain prep as well, but I didn't use any on my Strat, just a very, very fine sandpaper and some diluted Murphy's oil soap to clean up the wood. Get a micro fibre or terry cloth towel and some latex gloves and dip the the cloth in the stain, removing the excess (you don't want it dripping wet, just a little more than damp) and gently rub it in WITH the grain of the wood. I'd advise starting on the back of the axe so you can get a feel for how it's gonna flow. Do this in light coats until the shade you're shooting for comes out. Heavier on the outer perimeter if you want a sunburst kind of array. If you want to make it look like a relic you may sand (very fine grit) the usual wear prone areas and restain over the entire body, this technique worked very well for me. After you are finished staining and have let the stain cure, rub the whole thing down with tung oil, a couple or three coats will suffice, and TAA-DAA, you're done. You will want to rub her down with the tung oil from time to time (once a year), but Murphy's is gonna do the trick for regular cleaning. As always, follow the directions on the can of stain TO THE LETTER. The benefits to this process are many, not the least of which is sustain. Yeah it'll ding easier than a twenty coat glossy job, but the heavy paint impedes the sustain and tone. This method also allows the wood to "breathe" or cure over time which matures the tonality of the instrument. And of course, you'll have an original looking piece, people are always complimenting my HM Strat, it just looks f'ing cool. Hope this helps, good luck and let me know how it turns out if you go that rout. Oh, and if it turns out that you don't like it, you can always sand it down a little and paint over it.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Quote by LP Addict
dont buy from warmoth, buy from me. =]

Well, do you have the body that I want?
Ash body
Rear Routed
3 controls ( in classic strat layout just no pickup selector)
pickup selector at the lower horn (incl. channel for wires)
Floyd rose routing
2 humbucker (neck and bridge)

If yes, how much?
Warmoth wants 225 $ + shipping.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
What you can do to help with the fact that cold paint spits alot is take the spray cans, if you are using spray cans. And put them in a thing of warm to hot water and let them heat up. Then as the can gets colder replace it in the water and use another one that has been sitting in the water for awhile.
Quote by damskippy
Go to the hardware, store find the color stain (waterbase) that appeals to you and some tung oil. They make a stain prep as well, but I didn't use any on my Strat, just a very, very fine sandpaper and some diluted Murphy's oil soap to clean up the wood. Get a micro fibre or terry cloth towel and some latex gloves and dip the the cloth in the stain, removing the excess (you don't want it dripping wet, just a little more than damp) and gently rub it in WITH the grain of the wood. I'd advise starting on the back of the axe so you can get a feel for how it's gonna flow. Do this in light coats until the shade you're shooting for comes out. Heavier on the outer perimeter if you want a sunburst kind of array. If you want to make it look like a relic you may sand (very fine grit) the usual wear prone areas and restain over the entire body, this technique worked very well for me. After you are finished staining and have let the stain cure, rub the whole thing down with tung oil, a couple or three coats will suffice, and TAA-DAA, you're done. You will want to rub her down with the tung oil from time to time (once a year), but Murphy's is gonna do the trick for regular cleaning. As always, follow the directions on the can of stain TO THE LETTER. The benefits to this process are many, not the least of which is sustain. Yeah it'll ding easier than a twenty coat glossy job, but the heavy paint impedes the sustain and tone. This method also allows the wood to "breathe" or cure over time which matures the tonality of the instrument. And of course, you'll have an original looking piece, people are always complimenting my HM Strat, it just looks f'ing cool. Hope this helps, good luck and let me know how it turns out if you go that rout. Oh, and if it turns out that you don't like it, you can always sand it down a little and paint over it.

You mean these 2:
http://shop.gmf.se/product.htm?product_id=330938&search_page=
and
http://shop.gmf.se/product.htm?product_id=97327&search_page=

I also found some Murphy's oil soap but it was put under leather care products. is it still the same and should I buy it?

and how fine should the grit of the sandpaper be?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by helsinki_vampir

To do an oil finish and stain, you're gonna want some really fine stuff for a nice shiny but not too glossy finish... I'd say start with 150 to 220 and work up to the 400 grit area... More for a sort of super-sand
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Quote by helsinki_vampir
You mean these 2:
and

I also found some Murphy's oil soap but it was put under leather care products. is it still the same and should I buy it?

How about the rest. Is it the right stuff?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
let me guess your going for a tom morello type of guitar?
Don't say no, because it pretty obvious your a fan, got all the same gear and amp as him

I don't know anything about finishing though
Quote by guitarcam123
let me guess your going for a tom morello type of guitar?
Don't say no, because it pretty obvious your a fan, got all the same gear and amp as him

I don't know anything about finishing though

busted

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
bump

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
You mean these 2:
and

Is this the right stuff? I'm mostly unsure about the Murphy's.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
Is this the right stuff? I'm mostly unsure about the Murphy's.
Yeah, Murphy's is used for leather care as well. NEVER, EVER use Pine-sol or anything with the word SOLVENT in it. If the Murphy's specifically says LEATHER, it's one I've never seen, but if it just says oil soap you're good. As for the Stains, I just used Formby's, but I'm sure the stuff to which you refered is just fine. And yeah, start out with like 250 grit and work up to 400 or more, gives the wood a satin feel, that's what you're going for. I'm gonna try to get a pic of my strat up but it'll be a couple of days.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus