i've found a second-hand Boss GEB-7 for the equivalent of USD35, and i'm finding the offer particularly hard to resist at this price. the thing is, i'm not sure if i need an EQ pedal. here's my situation.

i currently play a Gibson Thunderbird Studio, which i am trying hard to sell off so i can get a Fender. in the meantime, i've got myself a Hartke Bass Attack and a CMATMODS Signa Comp in my effects lineup.

as most of us know, the Thunderbird is quite a mudbucket. i've been toying around with my Bass Attack to try getting a good tone, but i think i can still hear some muddiness in it. my ideal tone would be something like the classic Fender Jazz tone, but that's going to be hard to get with my current gear, so i'm just looking to get a nice, decent, non-muddy tone suitable for stuff rock, classic rock and metal. and so i'm wondering if an EQ pedal will help me with that.

any advice on whether i should get an EQ? or am i just not fully utilising my gear?
I'd recommend that you buy a new bass if you aren't happy with yours.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
unfortunately i don't have the money to do that, so i have to sell it off first. i'm stuck with it until then.
Well, i cant say whether or not you need an eq but i've got the geb-7 and it works wonders. I basically use it as a boost but it gets the job done and then some.
Im getting the GEB7, mainly using it to switch EQs from a gritty, rock one to a bouncy, thumpy indie one.

The 7 bands beats my amp's 5 by a long way so im looking forward to the added flexibility. Should get it tomorrow or friday, for £40 used, its a bargain.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
sounds like an EQ will give me more tonal versatility too, huh.

by the way, does muddiness in tone come from too much of a certain band of frequencies? i think i heard somewhere that it was the low mids or something.
Quote by chernk
sounds like an EQ will give me more tonal versatility too, huh.

by the way, does muddiness in tone come from too much of a certain band of frequencies? i think i heard somewhere that it was the low mids or something.

I have the Boss pedal you're talking about and I find that the mud is around 120Hz so I always cut that frequency some.

EDIT: This pedal did the seemingly impossible;it made my Behringer sound decent.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
bah someone got the pedal before i did while i was in school. thanks for the advice though!