Page 1 of 4
Just read this in The Times, this afternoon.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5233864.ece

Pubs and clubs will face strict orders to tackle Britain’s booze culture when bans on happy hours and discount drinks are announced next week.

The Government is considering the introduction of cigarette-style health warnings on bottles and cans containing alcoholic drinks. Ministers also want television adverts for alcohol to carry warnings of the danger of drinking to excess.

The new regulations to deal with excessive drinking and to tackle alcohol-prompted violence and disorder are contained in a code of practice to be imposed on the drinks industry. Whitehall has recommended that the code be mandatory but a final decision has yet to be taken by the Prime Minister, The Times has learnt.

Gerry Sutcliffe, the Licensing Minister, told the Commons Culture Select Committee: “We want this to be proportionate and related to the actual harm it causes. If it is a promotion causing people to get drunk and causing problems then it is right that we should act.”

A report published in the summer showed evidence of widespread abuse of the existing voluntary code. Ministers and Whitehall officials have lost patience with attempts to persuade the drinks industry to police pubs and clubs voluntarily.

A report by the Department of Health in the summer said that ten million adults in England regularly drank more than the recommended limits set by the Government and that the cost to the NHS of alcohol misuse was more than £2.7 billion a year. It said that alcohol misuse cost £25 billion a year in policing and lost work, and that each year there were 811,000 alcohol-related admissions to hospital.

Under the new code, the rules will be enforced by local government trading standards officers and the police. They will have the power to place conditions on the issuing of licences and to remove licences where premises breach the code.

Promotions such as happy hours and free drinks until a certain time, or for particular customers, will be banned. Pubs and clubs will display unit levels around the till and offer large and small glasses for wine.

The industry is to be given until early next year to print health warnings on drink labels. If it fails to meet the deadline, the Government will bring in legislation to force it to act.

The announcement, which is likely to be criticised by the drinks industry, will not deal with supermarkets that sell beer and wine at reduced prices.

The Government’s official advisers on the misuse of drugs yesterday gave their full support for a range of actions, including linking the number of calories in a drink to those in a sausage roll and putting the comparison on the labelling.

The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs called for a ban on off-licences and supermarkets selling drinks at lower than cost price and suggested a reduction of alcohol content.

It said that in the past 20 years the average alcohol content of beers and lagers had risen from 3½-4 per cent to 5-5½ per cent. In a submission sent to Alan Johnson, the Health Secretary, last month the council said that drink should be taxed at various levels, linked to alcohol content.

It gave warning of the “hidden problem” for older drinkers who were exposed to higher risk levels, and of excessive drinking in their homes by smokers who could no longer use pubs because of the smoking ban.

Caroline Healy, a member of the council, added that a zero drink-drive limit should be imposed on drivers under 21.

Code of practice

— Happy hours, drinking games and free drinks for women to be banned in pubs and clubs

— Cigarette-style medical advice on adverts for beer, wine and spirits

— Cans, bottles of beer and wine to carry medical advice on drinking

— Pubs and bars to offer large and small glasses for wines Code of practice expected to be mandatory

— Local councils and police will enforce rules – allowing them to impose restrictions on licences and remove licences for breaches of code

What do you lot think of this? I'm really pissed off, I just find it puritanical and pointless. Firstly, British binge drinking is a cultural thign which has existed for hundreds of years and wont be reversed; I think the 24 hour drinking law should be cut back instead, Britain is not like Continental Europe, and we don't drink like Continental Europe, and we wont.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I'm American, but I'm pissed there trying to ruin the Britain stereotype that I love so much.

I wish i was british =[
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Less alcohol can only be a good thing IMO (apart from hobos, etc.)
Raising alcohol prices can, once again, be a good thing.

And somewhat unrelated, but I wish they made it legal to whack a smoker in the face if they smoke near you. Cigarette smoke damages my health (can affect me within an hour or two, and I end up being ill - and yet all these smokers are blind to the fact that people similar to me can get affected within an extremely small period of time - honestly, if someone smokes a TINY TINY amount, or even a whiff of cig smoke, within 45 minutes a sore throat begins to develop - eventually headache, lightheadedness, etc.).

Also, Metallica.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
It won't happen.

I like how happy hours are never actually an hour though

'Happy hour: 12pm-7pm' for example.
there are going to be alot of pissed off football(soccer) fans
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by Simsimius

And somewhat unrelated, but I wish they made legal to whack a smoker in the face if they smoke near you. Cigarette smoke damages my health (can affect me within an hour or two, and I end up being ill - and yet all these smokers are blind to the fact that people similar to me can get affected within an extremely small period of time).

Also, Metallica.

Well, don't stand next to someone smoking, or tell them to smoke somehwere else, I think the solution is obvious. I doubt anyone is a dickhead so much to smoke at you purposely, either. Approving violence upon people with an addiction? Sounds a bit like Kristallnacht, to me.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I never was a fan of The Times, but unfortunately they're a reputable source of rumours.
I don't like the idea, but it seems Parliament has its heart set on it so it's unlikely (from my point of view anyway) that they're going to change their mind.
We can kick our feet and stomp about all we like, but to what avail?
Hence why I don't believe in Democracy.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by freddaahh
Well, don't stand next to someone smoking, or tell them to smoke somehwere else, I think the solution is obvious. I doubt anyone is a dickhead so much to smoke at you purposely, either. Approving violence upon people with an addiction? Sounds a bit like Kristallnacht, to me.

I know, but walking though a street can be extremely unpleasant.
Especially when its unpleasant types smoking.
Plus, a lot of smokers don't give a sh!t.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
happy hours only serve to promote binge drinking.

can't really see the downside of this.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by BlackLuster
I never was a fan of The Times, but unfortunately they're a reputable source of rumours.
I don't like the idea, but it seems Parliament has its heart set on it so it's unlikely (from my point of view anyway) that they're going to change their mind.
We can kick our feet and stomp about all we like, but to what avail?
Hence why I don't believe in Democracy.

Go fascism, I say.

I don't think this is a rumour, it seems pretty definite now.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by Simsimius
I know, but walking though a street can be extremely unpleasant.
Especially when its unpleasant types smoking.
Plus, a lot of smokers don't give a sh!t.

I smoke just to piss people off.

Man I thought we had all the Puritans over here on our side of the pond. Apparently you Brits didn't get rid of all of them.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Doubt it will help to be honest. If they really wanting to curb binge drinking, how about restricting supermarkets from selling ridiculously cheap canned booze? Most people who go and get trashed do so deliberately, and won't be put off because happy hour gets cancelled. If supermarkets weren't allowed to sell 12 cans of strongbow for £5, there would be far less drunks vomiting all over the cities.

Grrrrr.....
Happy hours i dont mind getting rid of... cheap drinks for students... please god no.

You solve binge drinking by bringing children up to be sensible around alcohol like european cultures do, not by making it more expensive.
Quote by freddaahh
Go fascism, I say.

I don't think this is a rumour, it seems pretty definite now.

I'm still all for the idea of a dictatorship.
Especially if they put me in charge

I could tell the definitive-ness was coming: from the article alone you can pinpoint sections where it's obvious.
Oh well. What can you do? All that will happen is the idea of it will die out pretty soon and it will pass into everyday life. Within a couple of years it wil be totally forgotten about.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
One more example of government deciding it knows better than the people what's good for the people. It's great to be an American. Silliness like this would never be tolerated in the U.S.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by Lemoninfluence
happy hours only serve to promote binge drinking.

can't really see the downside of this.

Agreed. I think it's good that the goverment are teaching people you don't have to bringe drink at happy hours, all the hours of the week are good!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
What's worse is the fact they're making a pint up to about £3.60 in an average pub/bar/club!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by freddaahh
Just read this in The Times, this afternoon.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5233864.ece

What do you lot think of this? I'm really pissed off, I just find it puritanical and pointless. Firstly, British binge drinking is a cultural thign which has existed for hundreds of years and wont be reversed; I think the 24 hour drinking law should be cut back instead, Britain is not like Continental Europe, and we don't drink like Continental Europe, and we wont.

So the British 'culture' is to get so pissed you throw up everywhere and make a complete fool of yourself? nice...

Sometimes, I really do love having a dual nationality.

EDIT:
Quote by PatchworkMan
One more example of government deciding it knows better than the people what's good for the people. It's great to be an American. Silliness like this would never be tolerated in the U.S.

*AHEM* Prohibition '21 - '33 *AHEM*
Quote by PatchworkMan

Patriot Act?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by PatchworkMan

well in this case it has to do something.

Binge drinking is the cause of a lot of crime at the weekends.

You do want the government to stop crime don't you? or is that not for them to meddle in either?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
First trick or treating and now this? christ i'm glad i live in a country that knows how to have fun.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by Lemoninfluence

You do want the government to stop crime don't you? or is that not for them to meddle in either?

Walking outside causes alot of crime during the weekends. Maybe we should ban people from doing that too?
Quote by michal23
So the British 'culture' is to get so pissed you throw up everywhere and make a complete fool of yourself? nice...

Sometimes, I really do love having a dual nationality.

The point I was making is that it's an ancient part of British culture - I'm not saying it's a good thing, just something that one law won't help to get rid of.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Baaaad news . What will us students do!? This is such a joke, they have already increased the prices on alcohol...just leave it the hell alone plz
However, i agree with the last bit... tho it should read, a zero drink-drive limit on ALL drivers, regardless of age.
Less alcohol =/= something to be pissed off about..
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by Simsimius

And somewhat unrelated, but I wish they made it legal to whack a smoker in the face if they smoke near you. Cigarette smoke damages my health (can affect me within an hour or two, and I end up being ill - and yet all these smokers are blind to the fact that people similar to me can get affected within an extremely small period of time - honestly, if someone smokes a TINY TINY amount, or even a whiff of cig smoke, within 45 minutes a sore throat begins to develop - eventually headache, lightheadedness, etc.).

Also, Metallica.

I love you.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Quote by urbanfox
It won't happen.

I like how happy hours are never actually an hour though

'Happy hour: 12pm-7pm' for example.

Thats not a happy hour your discribing, its a lock in.
Gear:

Squire Fat Stratocaster (Gotoh Pickups)
Marshall 50 DFX amplifier
Marshall Guv'nor II Distortion Pedal
Jim Dunlop Standard Cry Baby
Vintage VS6
im a student and i ****ing rely on happy hours and such!
i hope they dont go crazy with this and ruin drinking, got mangled in an irish pub last night for 10 pound, and danced the night away to live folk music.
its not binge drinking its ****ing awesome!
Quote by Kensai
Walking outside causes alot of crime during the weekends. Maybe we should ban people from doing that too?

simply existing causes a lot of crimes.

we should kill everyone at birth

drunk people fight and break ****. or at least over here they do.

Quote by element4433
Quote by freddaahh
The point I was making is that it's an ancient part of British culture - I'm not saying it's a good thing, just something that one law won't help to get rid of.

'Ancient'? Are you sure about that?
Yeah I heard about it on my local news. Its to reduce deaths of people 21-25 or something like that.
Whats a sig?
Quote by freddaahh

we also used to partake in slavery and conquering foreign lands.

while one law won't do anything it's a step in the right direction. you can't do things like this in one go, it has to be a gradual effect so that the attitude is gradually bled out of the culture.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
simply existing causes a lot of crimes.

we should kill everyone at birth

drunk people fight and break ****. or at least over here they do.

Are you arguing against your own point now...?
Quote by Kensai

By your argument, we should allow average people to posess nuclear warheads...

Even though they do cause 'damage', "f1t3 4 Fr33d0Mz!", right?
Quote by Lemoninfluence

"Government has to do something" is the lamest argument in the history of politics. No, government does not have to do something. There are already laws against public intoxication, against selling alcohol to intoxicated people, and against all the crimes that drunk people commit. Banning happy hours won't prevent binge drinking, it will only prevent happy hours. The government knows this, but they do it anyway, because they "have to do something".
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by Kensai

no, I'm saying you can take causation to it's extreme if you really wanted to. your point didn't really have any weight behind it.

Quote by element4433
Quote by michal23
By your argument, we should allow average people to posess nuclear warheads...

Even though they do cause 'damage', "f1t3 4 Fr33d0Mz!", right?

I didn't even realize it was possible for people to miss the point so gravely. You convinced me it was.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
no, I'm saying you can take causation to it's extreme if you really wanted to. your point didn't really have any weight behind it.

I'm pretty sure people outside are the cause of stuff happening outside.
Quote by Kensai
I didn't even realize it was possible for people to miss the point so gravely. You convinced me it was.

I know what your point was entirely. I'm just showing how one can take your point to the extreme in exactly the same way how you took his.
Page 1 of 4