Page 1 of 2
So, my band finally got our first gig, supporting the biggest local band; Shoot The Moon, now we're getting loads of offers to play loads of places and stuff so we want to be ready... now, my amp, Line 6 Spider III is no where near loud enough ... so I was thinking a nice stack, unfortunatley I am very poor and can't afford anything too fancy ... I was looking on the internet at www.gak.co.uk and I noticed how cheap the Marshall MG100 Head and Cabinet Combo is. I was thinking "this must be **** to be that cheap" so I whipped up the reviews on Ultimate Guitar and they seemed pretty positive, not for though practice amps however.

I am pop-punk, punk guitar player in a pop-punk band and hope to do a small tour around the UK in the Summer. So it will have to be freakin loud ... thats why I have opted for the head/combo thing instead of a small amp.

My favourite bands: Blink 182, Sum 41, Green Day, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Bad Religion, The Misfits, Paramore, Nirvana, MxPx and many more ... but I also like some metal; Metallica and Bullet For My Valentine, and if you call Avenged Sevenfold metal then them aswell. But my favourite band of all time is definatley HIM!

So what are your opinions?

EDIT: My band is pop-punk with solos and sweeping ... technical punk? :S

EDIT: I also use about three/four pedals; distortion, flange, wah pedal and delay
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
yes they are that bad
all the reviews are done by people who have just bought their first marshall and have never played a decent amp before
Quote by WtrPlyr
Do not get the MG.

Tell us your budget

350-400 pounds ... its sucks being 14 with a single mum and two brothers
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
MGs are terrible.
EDIT***
I don't know how much B-52s cost in the UK, but an AT will get the sounds you're after. Your call on going for the head or the 212 combo, but they're both 100 watts and loud as hell.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Try a Vox AD50VT or if you want to get an halfstack, the AD100VT Top with Box... it sounds pretty good and should be able to handle pop punk and punk
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by GangsterLi

How about a Bugera? Can you find those easily in England?
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Quote by OrangeWalls
Try a Vox AD50VT or if you want to get an halfstack, the AD100VT Top with Box... it sounds pretty good and should be able to handle pop punk and punk

price?..
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
They all are bad when its less then 100 watts.

I have the half stack with the 100 Watt head, and it is stable enough for playing with my band.

Its all personal preference. If other people hate MG's, but if you like them, buy one whether everone else likes it or not. If you like the sound, go for it.

People will probably yell at me for this, but I don't give a flying ****. I love my 100 Watt MG, and it works fine for me.

Also, if you have a modeler, you can pretty much make your own tone doing that.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by stradivari310
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=Vox+AD100VT

You can do better... I'd recommend a Laney and an OD pedal for what you want to do.

that link thing was so aweseom
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by tmfiore
They all are bad when its less then 100 watts.

I have the half stack with the 100 Watt head, and it is stable enough for playing with my band.

Its all personal preference. If other people hate MG's, but if you like them, buy one whether everone else likes it or not. If you like the sound, go for it.

People will probably yell at me for this, but I don't give a flying ****. I love my 100 Watt MG, and it works fine for me.

I think it's just the 100 watt that sucks. The 10, 15 maybe even 30 watts are fine as a practice amp, but for the money you blow on that 100watt halfstack, you could have gotten something way better.
I still don't think it sounds that good. Granted he is a good player but I've actually heard better demo's of the MG then that. They all sound the same. Sorry, you can still do better. And that is not to mention the reliability issues. If that thing crapped out on you at a gig you would have no way to fix it.

PS: I hope you are not trolling because we get these MG threads two or three times a week. Just check the Search Bar if you don't believe me.
VC30 and Classic 30 are nice amps but they don't have enough gain.

If you don't use cleans that much get a Peavey Windsor head with a cab.

If you do, then a Valveking is probably the best option if you need that much gain and budget is an issue...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I have a MG30 combo and its a decent practice amp, at best.

Don't get an MG stack, especially if you're gigging.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Do not buy it. Seriously, I've gigged with MG combos before. Not good.

Get a Laney VC30 and OD pedal, or a Peavey Valveking 112. They may look small, but 50w of tube power is all you need, trust me. They are seriously loud amps.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by OrangeWalls

Do this. From my experience VOX make amazing amps.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by WtrPlyr
I think it's just the 100 watt that sucks. The 10, 15 maybe even 30 watts are fine as a practice amp, but for the money you blow on that 100watt halfstack, you could have gotten something way better.

Its only temporary anyway. I will use it for like 3 years, and will need it for jamming and playing like one school talent show until I turn 16. I will then get a job and spend a few months trying to buy one of those $3000 Marshall Tube Half Stacks.

Sorry, but I love Marshall too much, despite the price.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Your in the UK, so we should take advantage of the cheapness of laney amps. A VC combo will do very nicely for you, and it is plenty plenty loud enough. Dont be tempted by the bigness and the 120 watt-ness of the LX120 halfstack, its not really worth it.

Laney VC30.

Quote by GangsterLi

then get a job

Quote by tmfiore
Its only temporary anyway. I will use it for like 3 years, and will need it for jamming and playing like one school talent show until I turn 16. I will then get a job and spend a few months trying to buy one of those $3000 Marshall Tube Half Stacks.

Sorry, but I love Marshall too much, despite the price.

to be honest it seems like you only the glam of having a marshall. there are many better amps for a better price that sound better then modern marshalls (the jvms are pretty bad, not sure about the vintage modern)

or go used and get a jcm

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Last edited by timzee117 at Nov 26, 2008,
ok ... im not buying XD
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by timzee117

to be honest it seems like you only the glam of having a marshall. there are many better amps for a better price that sound better then modern marshalls (the jvms are pretty bad, not sure about the vintage modern)

or go used and get a jcm

Nope, I just love how Marshalls sound.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
The only thing that makes the video sound good is the guy's playing. The distortion totally sounds like bees.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Like many people here, I would recommend either a Laney VC30 or a Peavey Classic 30 over the MG. They should be loud enough, and although they don't have a huge amount of gain, if you have a distortion pedal already then that isn't really a problem.

Of course, they aren't the only possibilities, that you go to a shop and try stuff out. If you prefer the MG, then get that. But you should definitely go and try out all powerful enough amps in your price range before buying anything.

One thing to keep in mind is that a 30-50W valve combo will easily be loud enough for any small gig. You won't need 100 watts.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Okay, hands down I am just going to say that I like how my amp sounds.

End of discussion.

I use a multi-effect/modeler anyway, and it sounds good through it.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
my buddy plays aloota heavy stuff he uses a classic 30 with a drive pedal to get heavyer sounds.... sounds great man... give them a shot plus tehy are cheep if u can find them used and they are work hourses...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
The small ones are great practice amps, but there's no point to the large ones, like the head + halfstack...they are big, it breaks up too easily at higher volumes...which defeats the purpose of buying a big one in the first place. This isn't exclusive to MGs - a lot of low-end solid state amps do this.

It's pretty low build quality too, if you want something that lasts.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Page 1 of 2