Hey guys. I'm new to the forums, so I'm not exactly sure I placed this in the right section.

Anyways... I've been playing for about 9 months now, and I'm mainly self taught, but I've progressed quite a bit since then. My main focus for the past month has been some of Kirk Hammett's works, and I've just come across something I can't figure out. There's a lick in Battery by Metallica that ends in a double stop bend on the 14th frets of the 2nd and 3rd strings, with the 2nd string being bent up a half step, and the 3rd string bent up a whole step.(If I remember correctly, the solo begins with a series of those bends as well.) I haven't been able to figure out how to bend two adjacent strings like this with one finger, and my fingers are a bit too bulky to fit two of them on the 14th fret. Any advice?

Edit: ...144th fret. Right.
Well, you could either bar the two strings with your ring finger, using your index and middle fingers on the strings to assist with the bend, or, and this is preferable, put your pinky on the 2nd string and ring finger on the third and bend like that. THis affords more control and allows you to add tastier vibrato.

oh yes.
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
can u not use your third and fourth fingers sincle they are the least chunky. i think it is impossible to bend two stings different amounts with one finger
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
I don't think he is consciously bending them different amounts, If you just kind of bar it and rock n roll style lift the strings, you may well find that you are bending different strings different amounts....due to grip, resistance or vibrato....so its easy enough to get that lift using a bar. Trust me...I'm a doctor.
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
No, my fingers are just a bit too large. No combination of my fingers that I've tried have been able to fit on the fret except the ring and pinky, only after about 7 or so seconds of adjusting my wrist to an awkward angle... And that's not very practical for such a fast passage.

Edit:
so its easy enough to get that lift using a bar

Didn't see that... but it sounds a bit off when I tried that. I don't really see much else I can do. Maybe no one else would notice if I played it like that.
Last edited by Erick vonZipper at Nov 26, 2008,
Different notes on other strings or lower on the neck perhaps?

I will be a different voicing but...

I dunno.

Bend one and get half the sound?
Quote by Axe Murderer
Different notes on other strings or lower on the neck perhaps?

I will be a different voicing but...

I dunno.

Bend one and get half the sound?

Ah... thanks. I feel like an idiot now. But now it's probably going to bother me until I figure out a way to do it as it was tabbed <_<