Ok... let me just say if this is in the wrong place I apologize. I skimmed the forums looking for an appropriate place and this seemed the best one.

I've never played live short of band practice. I always just turn it up to loud enough so the guitars are clear to each other, the drums are audible and the bass rumbles enough.

But when you're playing live... how loud is loud "enough"? I know once long ago I was at a show and one of the lead guitarists was just far too loud, all you heard from the stage was his half stack driving into your ear (if you're familiar with 3 Inches of Blood you know why it was especially grating.)

So what's a good level? The same level I set it to at practice? Do I just turn up to a point then let the sound guy fiddle with the PA's volume? I've once heard "Loud enough to where you can hear it."? But what if the song starts and surprise! You're lost in the drums lol.

Thanks for the advice fellas.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Really? Maybe I never pay attention but I don't notice anything... unless there's some hand signals taking place during the sound check that I don't watch.
Quote by sargasm
After that day at 3 Inches of Blood I always wondered "So... the sound guy won't say 'Holy crap dude turn that **** down."

I also saw Napalm Death open for DevilDriver last year, and EVERYTHING was far too quiet... even the PA was too low.
Quote by sargasm
The reason some people play loud is so they overdrive the tubes on their amp, other than that, there is no reason to play very loud. If it's audible, you're good to go, make sure you do some sound checks.
No. This was an error in sound-checking. His guitar was far above that of the other guitarist and nearing on drowning out their drummer from where I was standing. (I was off center towards his amp...)
Quote by sargasm
Alot of it has to do with amp placement, idealy you want your drummer to be able to hear everyone clearly and the drums at a good level to the bass and guitar. Quiet enough that you can still yell over it to each other. If you need volume to drive your amp, face it away from the drummer (even at an angle to the side wall) guitar amps are very directional and can blast one part of the crowd and miss everyone else. Then let the sound guy do the rest.
Lolololololno.
Turn it up to ELEVEN.

If you're going for power tube distortion, turn it up as loud as your scenario will allow, or use an attenuator or indeed a variac.
If not, turn it up as much as you want, but if it gets to the point of break up you may want to stop.
Quote by Tempoe
Alot of it has to do with amp placement, idealy you want your drummer to be able to hear everyone clearly and the drums at a good level to the bass and guitar. Quiet enough that you can still yell over it to each other. If you need volume to drive your amp, face it away from the drummer (even at an angle to the side wall) guitar amps are very directional and can blast one part of the crowd and miss everyone else. Then let the sound guy do the rest.

Well it's metal. I've yet to see a band at a decent venue where the drummer doesn't have one or even two monitors right at him.

And I've never been able to yell over at band practice. Ever lol.
Quote by sargasm