Page 1 of 2
Hey guys... I've been playing guitar for two years now and I'm really into it, it's amazing. My first guitar and the one I play now is a fender strat standard ($400) and with my christmas money I'm buying a new guitar. What's the best guitar in the $400-$700 range? I'm trying to decide between a schecter c-1 classic or a prs se singlecut/custom but other suggestions are good too... I play mainly rock and classic rock but also hard rock, blues, and a little bit of metal
Last edited by aceofspades15 at Dec 4, 2008,
Those both are pretty good. I think you'll be happy with either but I would go with the schecter. Go play em both and figure it out for yourself though.
Have you tried them out?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Try them both, see what suits you.

But I think that the PRS would suit you more, as the Schecter is good mainly for metal.
try em, and if you can't, go forum hunting and review searching, that usually works for me
Quote by michal23

But I think that the PRS would suit you more, as the Schecter is good mainly for metal.

not the classic extremely versatile.
Quote by michal23

What this guy said.

For hard rock/blues a PRS would be amamzing. I'm not saying Schecter wouldn't, 'cause they're pretty damn good guitars too, but I think the PRS would suit you more.
PRS is also a very versatile guitar, so you could easily cover metal with it too.

Nevertheless, you should still try 'em both.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
You're getting great quality for the money out of a Schecter. I'm not sure that it's perfect for your musics, but I am sure it'll be cheaper and at least just as good a guitar as the PRS. But if you aren't concerned about price then play them both often as you can until you can pick one.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

If you get the PRS, you'll find yourself just thinking "My strat is better than this"

I would definitely recommend the shecter. My only quarrel with schecter is that I think they feel awkward. Play them both. If one feels more comfortable but sounds worse, you can always swap in new pickups.

But the Schecter classic is unique for scheters in thst it is not hell bent on being metal. It can be, but it is really versatile. I have one and it has never let me down on tone.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
Get the PRS
can't beat PRS, seriously!

It will probably be a better purchase in the long run and they adapt really well to a variety of styles
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by Shukman_Jr

I would definitely recommend the shecter. My only quarrel with schecter is that I think they feel awkward.

It's cause they tend to have smaller frets, isn't it? My C-1+ has pretty small frets, but I'm not sure that applies to all of them. (It's a good thing for me. I have stubby, webbed fingers.)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I'd go for the Schecter. It's great for rock and metal, and some decent cleans on it.

The PRS SE series is a load of rubbish, to be honest. The pickups are alright, but they don't feel right. I'd avoid them.
I have a schecter and i love the hell out of it, the only issue i have with them is that if it isn't a model that stocks with seymour duncans then its a model stocks with pickups that sound terrible.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"
never played the scheter but i played the prs and hated it
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by fusionsan
I have a schecter and i love the hell out of it, the only issue i have with them is that if it isn't a model that stocks with seymour duncans then its a model stocks with pickups that sound terrible.

Cough* EMG's Cough*
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Cough* EMG's Cough*

I repeat.

Quote by fusionsan
if it isn't a model that stocks with seymour duncans then its a model stocks with pickups that sound terrible.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"
Well, at the lower end you'll get more bang for your buck with Schecter, but if you can fork out $1,500 USD, the PRS Mira is balls out one of the better guitars around.
Owning two Schecters, I think they make great guitars at their price points with plenty of features for coin. I would recommend them, but I haven't tried PRS guitars (i'm in australia and music shops are few n far btw, + hardly anyone seems to carry em) so I can't say.

Schecter's quality is supposedly uniform across the board, meaning pretty much regardless of which model u buy and at what price, they were all made in korea and all inspected and setup to play at schecter in the usa. PRS SE's are apparently made in korea as well, but i don't know where they are setup/inspected.
Quote by michal23

No it's not. I've always thought Schecters play a lot better than PRS SE guitars, but it's different from person to person. I really recommend the Schecter, though.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Both aren't that much of an upgrade from your Fender. I'd rather save up and buy something even better, because what you are about to do is not very economical. You'll be wondering why you bought a second intermediate guitar two years or so from now.

By the way, what amp are you using? An amp upgrade usually does more for your sound than a new guitar. For your money you could get a really nice tube amp, and maybe swap the pickups on your Fender if necessary.
Quote by aceofspades15
another option is the schecter c-1 floyd rose

YES!!! way beter than the classic!!! get the C-1 FR! theyre like 450-500 depending on where you get them. played both the schecter and the PRS. i wouldnt pay $100 for that POS PRS!!! now one of the $3000 ones...
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
i've played the se custom and it's not a bad guitar. i've played schecter's and i just dont think that they are the most versatile. the PRS is a pretty well rounded guitar for the money.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by michal23

The classic isn't really a metal guitar... I mean, look at the pickups!

Try them both out...

I've played both of those guitars, and they were both very good instruments, but they were also very different.
Quote by TheQuailman
Both aren't that much of an upgrade from your Fender. I'd rather save up and buy something even better, because what you are about to do is not very economical. You'll be wondering why you bought a second intermediate guitar two years or so from now.

By the way, what amp are you using? An amp upgrade usually does more for your sound than a new guitar. For your money you could get a really nice tube amp, and maybe swap the pickups on your Fender if necessary.

Alright so I just upgraded my amp this summer from a terrible marshall 15 watt cd to a fender cyber champ which is a great amp for me. So I really don't want to upgrade my amp right now and I'd like to keep my strat the way it is. What better guitars would you recommend?
To be fair i don't think either are comparable but if your after metal go for a schecter, however you will get much more versatility out of a PRS however the price difference is quite staggering
I'd go Schecter...in fact, I did...it just felt more solid than the PRS of the same price. but I would take a high end PRS anyday...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
In that price range I believe you'd be better off with a Schecter. For some reason the PRS SE series and other "budget" PRS guitars just don't match the quality of Schecters around that range. Even the upper echelon of Schecter w/Duncans or EMG's, grover tuners, solidbodies etc will run approx $600-$1100, and those are essentially the same as a custom shop, the only difference being where it's manufactured (South Korea for the bulk of them). If it's metal you're looking for Schecter is leaning their entire company marketing in that direction, and so they are tailoring their guitars to better suit that. PRS has a couple, but you won't find exceptional quality until you're into the $1500+ range w/PRS, and they are more ideal for rock/country (the endorsees w/signature models should be a good guide for this).

That's just my recommendation. For example my Schecter Hellraiser was about $800 when my wife bought it for me 2 years ago, and there wasn't even a PRS out that had EMG's loaded up (though it appears one of the members of slipknot now has 3 custom PRS' w/EMG's loaded up - latest issue of guitar player w/live rigs of most big bands). Either way a PRS that was similar in materials would still require a $250 EMG upgrade, and I would be paying almost double right out of the gate.

I haven't tried a PRS recently from the budget line (my store doesn't carry them), but that's my 2 cents on the matter...Schecter = metal.

Besides the freakish slipknot customs, I've only ever seen Mikael Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgren playing PRS guitars in the metal world, and their music is quite diverse so it still suits their "quieter" and progressive side. Schecter on the other hand is being used now by a lot of players including Jeff Loomis of Nevermore, Jack Owen formerly of Cannibal Corpse and now w/Deicide, both the guys from Avenged Sevenfold and Ministry's two guitarists and bassist also use them. Your call, ultimately as a guitar salesperson, the final choice should be more the feel and sound TO YOU! not anyone else

Hope this helps a bit
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
People keep saying Schecter is only for metal or geared toward it...that is only because their most popular model happens to be the Hellraiser which by all means is a metal guitar, but the classic is completely different than the Hellraiser as far as sound goes. I have a PRS Tremonti SE (essentially the older version of the Singlecut SE) and I got really bored with it. The neck feels really awkward to me now and the pickups are very bland and the opposite of articulate. There's virtually no compression with the stock pups. The Schecter on the other hand, plays a million times better IMO. It always pisses me off whenever I pick up my PRS b/c things I can play easily on my Schecter are 10 times harder simply because the neck sucks IMHO. If you ask me the gap of quality between SEs and real PRS is the widest of all the mass produced brand's budget brands.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Demon_dave
Besides the freakish slipknot customs, I've only ever seen Mikael Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgren playing PRS guitars in the metal world, and their music is quite diverse so it still suits their "quieter" and progressive side. Schecter on the other hand is being used now by a lot of players including Jeff Loomis of Nevermore, Jack Owen formerly of Cannibal Corpse and now w/Deicide, both the guys from Avenged Sevenfold and Ministry's two guitarists and bassist also use them. Your call, ultimately as a guitar salesperson, the final choice should be more the feel and sound TO YOU! not anyone else

Hope this helps a bit

lots more people play prs then that, paul allender for example
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
PRS Se is a worthless pile of junk.

I'm not a huge schechter fan either but they're stuff generally is far better than the SE models. And to say schechter is only for metal is silly. More of thier guitars come with duncans than come with emgs. It's the player that makes the genre anyways not the guitar. I've seen a blues guy who used an Old Ibanez X series (forget the model number but It's similar to the xiphos but was more rounded. It also was discontinued in the 80s)
I wouldn't really compare them... high end PRS guitars are epic, yet I love Schecters, I find them to be incredibly versatile.

If you're looking at low end guitars, I'd take a Schecter C1 or Hellraiser over a PRS SE any day. At the high end... you win either way.
I have the C-1 classic. My band plays all types of different covers from 70's to now. It has semour duncans that sound great and it plays awesome. Real easy to play. Never played a PRS though. GO try them both out.
Fender HSS Deluxe Special Edition
Scheckter C-1 classic
Orange rocker 30
A few boss pedals
Page 1 of 2