Hey guys I was just wondering how to figure out what key a song is in. I made up this song with my roommate and I am trying to write a solo over it. The rhythm chords I play are E to F to Eb. So I don't ask this again, can someone explain how I can figure out what key this is in? Maybe a website or something? Thanks guys.
sounds like dazed an confused. what i would do is pay attention to the chord being played at the moment and play some notes that are in that chord...good luck
it might be a minor key, like maybe in e minor?? idk
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
E: E, G#, B
F: F, A, C
Eb: Eb, G, Bb

It's really weird. I wouldn't really call it diatonic to anything. I'd make it resolve to one of the chords somehow (I didn't think they resolved well to anything) by adding more chords or changing the tonalities of them as they are now (like make the Eb a D#min7b5 and F>F#min or Eb> D#7, and E>Eminor or some crap, idk I'm typing without thinking.).

Quote by fifer
it might be a minor key, like maybe in e minor?? idk
For real? The first, out of 3, chords is an E major chord and you're guessing the key is E minor? That seems really "outside-the-box" to me.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by metal4all
E: E, G#, B
F: F, A, C
Eb: Eb, G, Bb

It's really weird. I wouldn't really call it diatonic to anything. I'd make it resolve to one of the chords somehow (I didn't think they resolved well to anything) by adding more chords or changing the tonalities of them as they are now (like make the Eb a D#min7b5 and F>F#min or Eb> D#7, and E>Eminor or some crap, idk I'm typing without thinking.).

For real? The first, out of 3, chords is an E major chord and you're guessing the key is E minor? That seems really "outside-the-box" to me.

yeah I was guessing, thats why I said idk, maybe you need help reading.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
yeah I was guessing, thats why I said idk, maybe you need help reading.
I wasn't being a dick to you. I was just pointing out that I didn't follow your logic. I didn't even say I was right. Hell, I have no clue what key this is in if it even is in one. Don't be a dick to me. Have a good day
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
you could possibly be in f melodic minor but probably not
www.facebook.com/allbutimpossible

Live Arsenal

Guitars
ESP EC1000 FR
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
ESP H1000 Deluxe
Ibanez RG7321

Amp
Line 6 Valve HD 100 Head
Line 6 Spider Valve 412VS 412 Cab

Misc
Shure PGX14 Wireless
Korg DTR-1000
Are these power chords or triads?

shockdoctor92: You can't be "in" melodic minor since it's just a scale and not a key, and F melodic minor wouldn't make sense. F melodic minor ascending is F G Ab Bb C D E so I don't necessarily see that working.
Quote by and1balla15
Its usually the first chord of a chord progression. For example, the chord progression E to F to Eb, the song could be in E.

COULD be, not necessarily though...let's say I play a chord progression of A G D...that isn't in A major just because the first chord i'm playing is A