Page 1 of 2
..on misdemeanor charges.

Taken from here,

"A Missouri mother on trial in a landmark cyberbullying case was convicted Wednesday of misdemeanor computer charges instead of felonies in a cruel Internet hoax played on a 13-year-old girl who later committed suicide.

The federal jury could not reach a verdict on a conspiracy allegation against 49-year-old Lori Drew and rejected three other felony counts of accessing computers without authorization to inflict emotional harm on the girl.

Instead, the panel convicted her of three lesser offenses of just accessing computers without authorization. Each of those counts is punishable by up to one year in prison and a $100,000 fine. Drew faced up to 20 years in prison if convicted of the four original counts. "

I'm glad that she wasn't found guilty of the more serious crimes. Obviously what they did to the girl was awful, but she still made the choice to kill herself. I have been insulted a ton on here, but I haven't killed myself.
to much text, but I read the title, so i'll just respond...

ha ha!
Quote by Spamwise
..on misdemeanor charges.

Taken from here,

"A Missouri mother on trial in a landmark cyberbullying case was convicted Wednesday of misdemeanor computer charges instead of felonies in a cruel Internet hoax played on a 13-year-old girl who later committed suicide.

Quote by numinis
to much text, but I read the title, so i'll just respond...

ha ha!

Yeah, hilarious.
Wow. I was reading this story soon after it happened, strange to see it pop up again with new information.
Why the hell was a 49 year old woman cyber bullying a 13 year old girl?
?!
She got off easy.

I normally don't have sympathy for teen suicidals, but I remember reading the story of the girl, and she never would have been driven to the edge if it wasn't for the mother.

This case shows off the flaws in the justice system.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by grenade24

As it said in the article, apparently the girl who commited suicide "said mean things about her daughter."
Quote by grenade24

thats what I was wondering
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Is this the one where she didn't hang out with her daughter so she made her life hell?

If so... s'about time isn't it.

EDIT: Yeah it is.... good. Very good.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Why is that article so damned recent?
This ****'s as old as the earth itself.

EDIT: Summary:
Girl broke up with best freind.
Mum of best freind was a bitch about it and had to protect her precious little ho.
Made a myspace (i think) and pretended to be a dude who thought Megan (the fat and now dead chick) was attractive. They started a little relationship.
Megan was a fatty with little confidence, so when her best freind's mum broke up with her and insulted her it hurt her alot, she went to her mum who had a go at her for being on the computer too often (had lots of restrictions of something like that) so she ran back to her bedroom and hung herself in a closet. She failed at hanging herself and cause she was on her tip toes she drew out the process more than half a ****ing hour.
Last edited by thestonedone at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by Spamwise
As it said in the article, apparently the girl who commited suicide "said mean things about her daughter."

Oh.

Seriously, i have to agree with Just Andrew. She got off way too easy, and that girl wouldn't have done a thing if that 49 year old hadn't pushed her to the edge.
?!
Quote by thestonedone
Why is that article so damned recent?
This ****'s as old as the earth itself.

Because the conviction was just handed down. It takes a long time for most cases to be tried.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Dude she deserves more than 20 years, that's a horrible, pathetic thing to do.

My thoughts exactly.
?!
Quote by Spamwise

It is more than insulting her. What happened was the girl who committed suicide, we'll call her Sarah, offended that ladies daughter at school, the lady created a myspace of like a perfect boy to hook up with Sarah so to speak. Sarah "fell in love" with the fake boy. Eventually the lady, pretending to be the boy, said things like that she is a **** up and he would never date her and all this jazz after a while of sweet talking her and telling her she was in love.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by tayroar
It is more than insulting her. What happened was the girl who committed suicide, we'll call her Sarah, offended that ladies daughter at school, the lady created a myspace of like a perfect boy to hook up with Sarah so to speak. Sarah "fell in love" with the fake boy. Eventually the lady, pretending to be the boy, said things like that she is a **** up and he would never date her and all this jazz after a while of sweet talking her and telling her she was in love.

I know. I'm saying that's why the mom did it, because "Sarah" insulted her daughter.

Yep. That's why I don't think the mom desrves more punishment. I do feel sad for the girl and her family, but it's hard to feel anything but contempt for suicide over myspace.
Quote by Spamwise
Yeah, a little bit deeper than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megan_Meier

I wish I could find the article about her, it went in depth and really had some interesting info. However, the wikipedia article seems to just give the basic analysis of what happened.

Simply,and from what I can remember of the article:

-Depression prone 13 Year Old Girl, Megan, was finally given permission from her parents to create a Myspace account, with her parents monitoring it, of course
-Megan meets someone online who she becomes good friends with
-That 'friend' later becomes hostile and starts taunting Megan, causing her to her suicide
-That 'friend' was actually the mother of Megan's real life friend

The reason behind it, I can't remember. I think it was because a foosball table was destroyed, or something along that lines. If I could find the article, I will surely post it.

EDIT:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/686259/The_Girl_Who_Will_Change_The_Internet.html#readmore

There, interesting read.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Last edited by Just Andrew at Nov 26, 2008,
I don't think she deserves anymore punishment than she got, but she should have definitely known better than to do what she did.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Yeah, a little bit deeper than that.

Again, I'm talking about why the mom harrassed the daughter, not why the girl committed suicide. That is the reason the article gives, anyway.

-Depression prone 13 Year Old Girl

Isn't that redundant?
Quote by Just Andrew
The reason behind it, I can't remember. I think it was because a foosball table was destroyed, or something along that lines. If I could find the article, I will surely post it.

Nah, that was what the Meier family did for revenge.
Sadly to say, Sarah became an hero, but it was caused from the non-stop harassment by some old woman...
Quote by Spamwise
Isn't that redundant?
Perhaps.

But add that with Attention Deficit Disorder and the fact that she contemplated suicide as early as the 3rd grade, I'd say we have someone who you want to treat carefully.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by thestonedone
Made a myspace (i think) and pretended to be a dude who thought Megan (the fat and now dead chick) was attractive. They started a little relationship.

Why is it relevant that you keep calling her fat? I mean really?
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
She wasn't even fat, from what I can tell of the pictures, and the 20 pound she dropped by September.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

She wasn't bad looking actually for a thirteen year old and all. Not that it is relevant or anything.
Quote by Just Andrew
She got off easy.

I normally don't have sympathy for teen suicidals, but I remember reading the story of the girl, and she never would have been driven to the edge if it wasn't for the mother.

This case shows off the flaws in the justice system.

Flaws? She did nothing wrong. There is no law protecting you from someone encouraging you to commit suicide.

Learn2U.S.Law
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
The mom is a pretty bad for trolling that girl. The girl is pretty stupid for commiting suicide. Someone needed to tell her that the internet is very serious buisness.
Quote by Spamwise

Isn't that redundant?

Not really, there's a big difference between being depressed at points during adolescence and suffering from clinical depression.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
she was acting extremley immature for her age, and the result is someone died for it, she wasnt just throwign insults at her she said "the world would be better off without you, go kill yourself" after pretending to be her friend so she was egging her on to do it. she should be charged much more than that.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Flaws? She did nothing wrong. There is no law protecting you from someone encouraging you to commit suicide.

Learn2U.S.Law
How about just a precedent is set, then?

Though you're right, encouraging someone and driving them to take their life isn't a crime.

Just a crime against humanity and set moral decency.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Fuzzbox91
she was acting extremley immature for her age, and the result is someone died for it, she wasnt just throwign insults at her she said "the world would be better off without you, go kill yourself" after pretending to be her friend so she was egging her on to do it. she should be charged much more than that.

The world would be better off without you, go kill yourself.

She did nothing illegal. Heck those charges of accessing a computer she shouldn't have been on were bull**** anyway. Oh hurry, between you and the guy who's kid committed suicide on web-cam the emo attention ***** population of the U.S. is just getting all that they need.

No one is ever responsible for their own actions today are they?

*EDIT*

Quote by Just Andrew
How about just a precedent is set, then?

Though you're right, encouraging someone and driving them to take their life isn't a crime.

Just a crime against humanity and set moral decency.

The internet is serious business. Maybe the girls parents should have been more aware of what she was up to.

Again. Is no one responsible for their own actions in this world anymore?
Quote by sargasm
The mom of the girl who committed suicide came to my school and talked. Really nice lady, very sad story.
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
Quote by deanfreak93
The mom of the girl who committed suicide came to my school and talked. Really nice lady, very sad story.

You should have troll'd her in person and put it on YouTube.
Quote by sargasm
why the **** would someone do that!!!! thats not harmless nor funny!!! WTF!!! PEOPLE are the problem. there sick!!! find a hobby go get a life, dont ruin someone elses for entertainment!!! ****!!!
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
The world would be better off without you, go kill yourself.

She did nothing illegal. Heck those charges of accessing a computer she shouldn't have been on were bull**** anyway. Oh hurry, between you and the guy who's kid committed suicide on web-cam the emo attention ***** population of the U.S. is just getting all that they need.

No one is ever responsible for their own actions today are they?

*EDIT*

The internet is serious business. Maybe the girls parents should have been more aware of what she was up to.

Again. Is no one responsible for their own actions in this world anymore?
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

Not only did the parents monitor the ENTIRE Myspace, but they were the only ones who knew the password to the account, meaning Megan could never get on the site without her parents watching her or being aware she was on. They knew exactly what was happening to Megan.

Though, they seemed rather angry at her for getting upset over her 'friend', regardless, her parents were monitoring the entire thing.

Also, this is far different from some attention-grabbing drama *****, she was actually diagnosed with legitimate depression and had thoughts of suicide at a very early age, a age where most kids can't even grab the concept of eternal death.

Megan was doing better and was on the right track of living a normal, stable life, but the mother caused her to kill herself. There is no denying Megan would still be alive today if the Mother didn't have better judgment then to mess with a mentally unstable child.

EDIT:

I'm still trying to figure how you can see this as a tragedy of justice against the mother? There isn't a crime against driving or egging someone on to kill themselves, but this is a rare situation where the mother was the cause of death, without any sort of physical contact.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Last edited by Just Andrew at Nov 30, 2008,
how the **** does one get cyber bullied?! i mean if you're on lets say the pit and you get called a n00b guess what leave!! so can someone please explain to me how the **** does one get CYBER BULLIED or what are you know things that happen when one is cyber bullied. I mean when I think of bullying I think of a punk kid getting raped/beaten/raped again/castrated/his anus eaten/his stick jerked by a tube that slides over his wang but the tube has tons of nails inside it >______________________> or he gets gangraped by hordes of girls and they jeer at him you know the usual stuff
Page 1 of 2