So after a long time discussing it with Jim Price, head of Omega Amps, I decided to get my amp modded by him.

Here's his site, omegaamps.com

He makes hot rod deluxes and devilles sound like dumbles, just listen the clip "ear candy" towards the end.

he's doing the $250 mod, plus adding a mid boost and a pre amp boost, and all new tubes.

I'm sending it out this weekend, I'm stoked!

I recorded some clips of the stock HRD and I'll record some of the modded HRD when I get it so UG can see the differences.

I can't wait!!!!!!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
imay do that nowlol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Modded amps are very cool - got some minor things done on mine - wow - hell of an amp
Quote by timzee117
imay do that nowlol

I'll definitely let you know how it is.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

i was going to do that on my HRD, but im glad that im just going to buy a new amp. the amp isnt reliable enough for me, i would rather have a great sounding amp thats built well and doesnt need mods.
im anxious to hear yours after its modded.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i was going to do that on my HRD, but im glad that im just going to buy a new amp. the amp isnt reliable enough for me, i would rather have a great sounding amp thats built well and doesnt need mods.
im anxious to hear yours after its modded.

I get what you mean, and like to do that as well, but I can't. I was going to get a Ceriatone and an avatar cab but spending 1500+ for all that just won't work for me. This is going to cost me maybe 600 tops, and I'll have money left over for pickups for the Paul, and maybe for the strat too.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
I get what you mean, and like to do that as well, but I can't. I was going to get a Ceriatone and an avatar cab but spending 1500+ for all that just won't work for me. This is going to cost me maybe 600 tops, and I'll have money left over for pickups for the Paul, and maybe for the strat too.

maybe hearing your clips will change my mind.
and i dont think the problems im having with my amp are normal. at least i hope not.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
maybe hearing your clips will change my mind.
and i dont think the problems im having with my amp are normal. at least i hope not.

We'll see. I have really high expectations for this, and I can't wait.

I'm just thinking to myself what it'll be like to have Clean channel, clean channel + mid boost, clean + PAB, drive, drive + mid, drive + PAB, more drive, more drive + mid, more drive + PAB. and new tubes added aswell! so many options!

I'll PM you guys once I record.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

awesome, i cant wait.
i wonder how much the clean channel can be improved. its already really nice. just needs to be a bit tighter in the bass. i wouldnt mind if it was more of a blackface sound
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I got the amp last week!

First review: The amp sounds beautiful on the clean channel, but muddy on the drive channel. MUCH improved on the drive, but still muddy. Both the mid boost and pre amp boost sound good. The amp absolutely SHINES with a strat and a tube screamer over the clean channel, way better than without the mod.

Second review: After turning up the amp and really messing with my EQ, the amp is really cool. I discovered that the clips on the website are not that accurate, but the amp has its own thing going on. I'm still learning how to play the amp. It clearly shows all of the nuances of my playing, and even the mistakes Overall, it's a real players amp, and you have to be a really good player to make it sound good. It's not a simple plug and play. In the end, the amp will sound awesome if you're a great player or horrendous if you're a bad player. It is super touch sensitive, and the guitar's volume control alone can give you a whole array of sounds. Jim did a great job.

One last thing, I also was a able to play a Two Rock Custom Reverb a couple days after playing my amp. The Two Rock (with no pedals) has cleans that are equally rich and full as the omega amp, but the OD on the two rock was not as good as the Omega HRD.

The two rock did sound better, though, when I matched it with a Zen Drive.

If you have any questions, I would love to answer them.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

oh that is so sweet. i have been waiting to hear your review.
any chance of you recording some clips of it? i would love to hear some clips that arent the ones on the official website.
congrats!!!
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I haven't had much time but there is a possibility I'll get some up later tonight.

And chea, I played a Mark III today, too. Also a very cool amp.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

i musical mentor and one of the guys who first gave me an opportunity to be in a pro band is thinking about selling some of his amps. one of the amps he said he would give me a good deal on is an original Mesa Mark I (not a reissued one.)
that should nail the dumble tone!!!
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I'd be jealous.

I'm pretty much a sucker for any amp that sounds good.......

Although the Two Rock wasn't nearly as impressive as I thought it would be. Definitely didn't sound like a $6000 amp on it's own.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

ive wondered how they were.
perhaps its one of those amps that really need to be at stage volume. although i hate it when amps are like that.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I don't know

*shrugs*

I always wonder why John Mayer uses so many effects when he had a Two Rock, though. And a fricken SSS too!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

had a two rock? does he not use it any more?

i think he uses all the effects because he can haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Type. Meant to say has.....

Anyway, I'll return later. It's clip recording time!!!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

YYYEEESSSS.
i cant wait to hear it.
thanks man.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
hey hows the zen drive pedal? i heard those get towards that dumblesque tone.

but i would to play that mod, just cause ive played so many devilles to see how it was. but only a dumble is a dumble at the end of the day.

also, does omega do other mods or just fender? ive been looking at getting an amp done by voodoo labs, i was wondering if you heard anything about them either.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
i was just thinking about this thread then it popped up

cant wait for clips

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Clips are up! Sorry for any playing mistakes too; I couldn't really think of anything to play. Go easy on me gang, I'm still tweaking her.

To answer hoondog's questions, the zendrive does a good job of getting the dumble tone, for sure. But then again I played it through a really pedal friendly amp that's already very dumble-esque, so I don't know.

Omega only mods the fender HRD amps now I think, but you could ask. They've modded other amps in the past. They can also gut an amp (like an old bandmaster) and put in a dumble circut or whatever you want.

FYI, Jim told me that he's going to stop doing mods soon, so if you want one, get it now!

LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE THE CLIPS!!!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Is it too quiet?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
Clips are up! Sorry for any playing mistakes too; I couldn't really think of anything to play. Go easy on me gang, I'm still tweaking her.

To answer hoondog's questions, the zendrive does a good job of getting the dumble tone, for sure. But then again I played it through a really pedal friendly amp that's already very dumble-esque, so I don't know.

Omega only mods the fender HRD amps now I think, but you could ask. They've modded other amps in the past. They can also gut an amp (like an old bandmaster) and put in a dumble circut or whatever you want.

FYI, Jim told me that he's going to stop doing mods soon, so if you want one, get it now!

LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE THE CLIPS!!!

ah thanks. ive heard good things about the zen drive, u may have given me the final excuse to get one i need. oh yeah, i think theres something wrong with your new clip.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by LP51122
I'd be jealous.

I'm pretty much a sucker for any amp that sounds good.......

Although the Two Rock wasn't nearly as impressive as I thought it would be. Definitely didn't sound like a $6000 amp on it's own.

Two-Rocks have a really different gain structure that makes them difficult to dial in. I know I've talked to a lot of people who've had the same reaction you had, which is confusion at why it's such an expensive amp.
With a T-R you've really got to sit down and get to know it. The learning curve is pretty steep. That's not to say that you couldn't have just disliked it, but maybe it explains your confusion at how normal it sounded.
I want to do this >___> hell yeahhhh
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Roc8995
Two-Rocks have a really different gain structure that makes them difficult to dial in. I know I've talked to a lot of people who've had the same reaction you had, which is confusion at why it's such an expensive amp.
With a T-R you've really got to sit down and get to know it. The learning curve is pretty steep. That's not to say that you couldn't have just disliked it, but maybe it explains your confusion at how normal it sounded.

I don't know.......I messed with it for a couple of hours, and I played it through it's 212 cabinet with custom speakers made in Austin. I'd like to play it more, though, just for the fun of it.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Can you guys tell me how it sounds now? Turn up your volume and speakers as loud as you can.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Last edited by LP51122 at Jan 3, 2009,