So I've been doing a lot of research and I've heard from some people that I shouldn't go with a Crate gt-3500H halfstack. All the reviews from harmony central/ug/musicians friend were really good, but every mention of it here on the forum calls it a POS.

So I read that it would be better to go with a combo tube, than a SS half stack. My question is: what combo should I go with?

It needs to be around the $400-500 range. I really like that bugera 333xl 212, but it's a bit too much and I can't find it any cheaper on craigslist or ebay.

Should be able to:
get a good death metal tone
play a small gig

thanks
I'm a stupid jackass.
save a little more till you can get the bugera. you'll be happier in the end that you didn't settle for something else if that's what you really want.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
If you like the Bugeratone, try the 333combo, or the 6260/62combos... there should be cheaper... or try the peavey valvekingcombo...
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by mikeyElite
save a little more till you can get the bugera. you'll be happier in the end that you didn't settle for something else if that's what you really want.

This.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Keep checking craigslist, what city are you searching? There may be other amps that you don't realize are just as good for what you play.
you dont necessarily have to go the tube route either even though its the preferred option on this site. the vypyr and ad50 are better than the crate gh for much less $$$, itll handle small gigs, and give you decent tone. even in the used market $400-500 isnt much in terms of finding a tube amp capable of doing high gain well. if you want tubes your best bet would be to save up some more cash
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I'll probably just go with the 333xl 212 then. I'll wait a few more weeks, maybe one will show up cheaper used. Keep the suggestions coming though, I haven't fully made up my mind.
I'm a stupid jackass.
If you see a used Randall RG50tc on craigslist, try it. It's a good budget tube metal amp. They go for around $400 used. Just another suggestion.
Quote by gregs1020
If you see a used Randall RG50tc on craigslist, try it. It's a good budget tube metal amp. They go for around $400 used. Just another suggestion.

It got really bad reviews on harmony central.

Also, can somebody explain to me why the crate gt3500h is a bad choice?
I'm a stupid jackass.
Last edited by killthekingx at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by killthekingx
It got really bad reviews on harmony central.

I take all reviews with a grain of salt. Your opinion is what matters most. People say the MG's are great on HC's reviews - what does that tell you. One guy reviewed an amp I have (and love) once, saying it wasn't even good enough to use for a extension cabinet, I lol'd. The rest were pretty spot on, but I'm a fan. Just make your own conclusion. Try a VK 112 as well - it's got a love/hate following but again, I liked it.

Edit: on the crate, same as above goes, your opinion matters most - but down the road as you get an ear for tone - you may regret it.