View poll results: Guitar?
Gibson Explorer
22 65%
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNT1
12 35%
other (specify)
0 0%
Voters: 34.
My first thoughts were either a black Gibson Explorer with a white pickguard or a Dean Dave Mustaine VMNT1, I'm saving and haven't decided upon a guitar for certain and wanted first hand experiences, advice, ideas, etc. I play somewhere between lead and rhythm, rock, blues and old school metal (metallica, maiden, priest, megadeth)
Gibson guitars are very versatile and you can't really be disappointed when choosing one, so I'd go with the Gibson, seems safe enough especially considering the price range. Still, I don't really know Dean guitars, so I can't really tell. I know Michael Angelo Batio plays on Dean guitars I think though, so it's probably excellent.
Oh and by the way I forgot to say, if you have any way to try them both before buying, do it then make your choice. It has always been the best thing to do when buying a relatively expensive guitar.
I would say the explorer.
I have an esp explorer and although quite different it is a nice guitar, and then a friend of mine has a nice epi explorer.
Seeing as im poor i dare not touch a gibson explorer for fear of dropping it haha.
but id say the explorer because gibsons are quite the versatile guitars. are they worth the cash there charged? no but there still good guitars.
The Mustaine guitars are the only Deans being made with a D-shaped neck. It feels kinda like those thin Ibanez necks, but with a little more beef to it. The Ibanez necks hurt my hand after playing for awhile, but the Mustaine shape feels pretty good.

Both guitars have Grover tuners. The Mustaine is a string-thru where the Explorer has a tailpiece. And the Mustaine has more color choices. They both look great, but the Exlorer is a classic icon in Rock/Metal. The decision is up to you man. They're both pretty sweet guitars.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
ESP eclipse ftw
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by Flux'D
The Mustaine guitars are the only Deans being made with a D-shaped neck. It feels kinda like those thin Ibanez necks, but with a little more beef to it. The Ibanez necks hurt my hand after playing for awhile, but the Mustaine shape feels pretty good.

Both guitars have Grover tuners. The Mustaine is a string-thru where the Explorer has a tailpiece. And the Mustaine has more color choices. They both look great, but the Exlorer is a classic icon in Rock/Metal. The decision is up to you man. They're both pretty sweet guitars.

I think I'm going for the Dean because from what you just described it sounds like it has the same neck as the explorer, and I like Ibanez necks haven't played one for an extended period of time though. Also because the Dean is $600 cheaper and I'm trying to experience different guitars, all depends on how it plays though
They both play pretty well. Neither one really has an advantage over the other. It all depends on style and which feels better to ya. If you're not used to a V-shaped guitar, you might like the Explorer better.

Also if you like the Explorer shape, try looking at a Dean '79 Z. You can get them in solid Black or White and also with a Flamed Maple top if you like those. Plus it only costs around $500
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Sam Ash carries them I think. I know Musicians Friend doesn't though

Something else to consider. If you like the Explorer shape with a Flamed Maple top, try looking at a Hamer Standard. It's nothing like the original Standards from Hamer but it's still a good player. I think they're around a grand
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I was talking about their websites haha. I'm not sure if they would stock them in their store or not
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

So now I've done my research and found that the guitar I was gunning for because it cost nearly $600 less, has active pickups, so that is out because I don't want to pay for batteries for my guitar, so can anyone reccomend a guitar within the price range of $700 (or less ) to $ 1,170? no active pick-ups and no floyds
Quote by jeremessmore
I've tried the Gibson but I don't think the guitar center by me has a VMNT so it'd be kinda hard to try

try sam ash
last time i went they had the whole dave mustaine series
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.