Page 1 of 17
Its almost Thanksgiving, so lets have a nice, many-paged, fun thread.

The title says it all: what opinion(s) of certain gear do you have seems to be contrary to the majority opinion of this board?

Mine:
5150/6505's sound like hell unless they are modded.
Low wattage amps always seem to sound thin
An EQ pedal is not always necessary (the Dano Fish n Chips was ALWAYS recommended about a year ago)
99% of people don't need a noisegate
Boss makes some pretty sweet pedals

okay...go!
Well i actually think some B.C. Riches are nice.

well, my mockingbird anyway... the warlock is still horrible.
Do or do not, there is no try. - Albus Dumbledore
Mine come with answers as well...

You have to crank your amp so dont get a 100 watt high gain amp for metal for bedroom playing or giging because they have mic anyway

1)Metal is mostly preamp saturation with little to no power amp saturation.
2)High wattage metal amps are high wattage for a reason its called headroom. (see above)
3)Tube amps come with a volume knob, so dont be scared of them.
5)Metal and Classic rock are not the same thing, stop telling everyone they need to crank there amps. (see 1 and 2 above)

EMG's suck

1)EMG's have been used in 90% of all metal albums since the early 80's and used by bands that made history. So why in the hell do people think they suck now all of a sudden.

More to possibly come lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Nov 26, 2008,
1) Vox Amps cant be used to play highgain sounds (I've done it)
2) Combos are so much better then Halfstacks (??? A real tube combo is always heavier then a Box or a head, and you never carry both at the same time. And a 4x12 has so much more punch then a combo)
3) 2x12 are a joke... (It looks stupid, and it makes no sense at all. Just buy a combo or a 4x12 instead. )
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
5150/6505 amps sound amazing when not modded
low wattage amps sound thick
an eq pedal is always necessary
99% of people need a noise gate
boss makes some crappy pedals
I think some bc riches suck, but the warlock is amazing
gibson makes the best LPs for the money
metal is mostly power amp saturation with a little to no preamp saturation
high wattage metal amps are high for no reason
emgs are used 90% of no metal albums since early 80's so why do people like them all of a sudden?
metal and classic rock are the same exact thing

j/k
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Tube amps don't make the world go around, people running east on the equator do.

Edit: VK's can't do metal. I see that all the time but whenever I try a VK, it can. Weird... Maybe it's not slaughter a small country, throbbing death metal but w/e...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 26, 2008,
1) VKs DON'T suck.
2) Digitech Whammies don't suck as much tone as people think.
3) If playing a small gig (i.e. 150 people-ish) 15w solid state is enough to gig without cleans. I've done it before.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by OrangeWalls
3) 2x12 are a joke... (It looks stupid, and it makes no sense at all. Just buy a combo or a 4x12 instead. )

*bitchslaps*
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
1. EMG clean tones = way too sterile
2. Mexican strat pickups aren't actually all that bad, their just somewhat low volume-wise.
3. Floyd Roses are overrated like hell.
4. You don't need metal somewhere in a distortion pedal's name to use it for metal, or for that matter a rectifier in a tube amp.
5. Wizard necks are hell.
6. Single-coils can be used for metal.
7. Synchronized trems are not the, as I once saw them called, "enemy of stable tuning".
8. IBANEZ ISN'T ONE OF THE BETTER BRANDS. A good brand to be sure, but in no ways one of the top brands *gets sacrificed by Ibanez players*
9. Bad Monkey's are awful overdrive pedals.
10. Noiseless pickups = fail. Being someone who plays with the "unwanted" tones a guitar makes, I like my cycle-60 hum, thank you very much.
11. DD-3 > DD-7.

More very likely to come.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 26, 2008,
1. A 100 Watt tube amp is too loud for bedroom practice. I use my TSL in my bedroom and it still sounds good. No where near as good as cranked but its still good.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
*bitchslaps*

Now now, that's not in the nature of this thread

I would agree that VK's don't such
But I would also say there is no point buying one to upgrade; it's false economy!
Just because it's cheaper to go used, doesn't mean you always should
Last edited by Mathamology at Nov 26, 2008,
sowwy

uhm... emg's cleans are not all bad. basically any bridge humbucker is gonna have bland cleans.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Half Stacks Are Awesome!

I would take them over a combo any day, the elitist low watt, boutique, high power tube saturation amps would never work for me, I use ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY ALL TUBE WATTS for pub gigs to outdoor gigs to large venues, with at least a 4x12, sometimes more, and it always sounds absolutely brilliant.
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by UnsignedRecords

*bitchslaps*

You've got a Mark IV there and you're plugged into the Valve Junior?!?!
I'll add another:

Jackson, ESP, and Ibanez all feel very cheap. Almost like very expensive toys...
Quote by OrangeWalls

While I respect your opinion, I submit this to you:

Behold my dry rig of awesome.
Quote by Mathamology
Now now, that's not in the nature of this thread

I would agree that VK's don't such
But I would also say there is no point buying one to upgrade; it's false economy!
Just because it's cheaper to go used, doesn't mean you always should

still funny tho - i think a 212 would be the way to go.

311's - 'my mommy won't let me get an amp off craigslist because she said it is probably a drug dealer'....wut?
Quote by colin617
While I respect your opinion, I submit this to you:

Behold my dry rig of awesome.

Your EQ settings on that Mesa make me cringe
Halfstacks are overrated.
Original Floyd Rose's aren't worth the extra cash.
Valvekings DON'T suck, they are perfectly fine budget amps.
Boss pedals are actually good.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

1. I would prefer a Digitech Screamin Blues over a Bad Monkey any day.

That's the only one I can think of at the moment
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by thellamaking

yeah cuz class A is 100x better n00b...
Quote by littlephil

you wouldn't if you heard it
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

mgs are perfectly fine for PRACTICE amps
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Everyone saying EMG's have awful cleans is the thing I hate the most. The 81 does have awful cleans but alot of the others have pretty good cleans. The 85, 89, 60 and single coils all have good cleans and the 18v mod makes them even better.

And BOSS pedals aren't as bad as alot of people say. They're not the best you can get but they're not the worst either. Some of them are pretty good.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79

And BOSS pedals aren't as bad as alot of people say. They're not the best you can get but they're not the worst either. Some of them are pretty good.

Yeah, its only the distortion/ovedrive pedals that suck, unless they're modded. The other effects and such are good
Quote by littlephil

It works. You have to understand how the graphic and parametric EQs work together on a Mark series to see why I have the EQ set that way.
Uhm, idk. I still think that 2x12 look like... dont know, a bench?^^ But of course the sound can be awesome... And i'd love to have a MesaBoogie...

Another one: Multieffects are much better then everyone says... (okay, only the high end MultiFX)
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by UnsignedRecords
yeah cuz class A is 100x better n00b...

i still have so much to learn...

Quote by thellamaking

Exactly.

*bitchslaps*

Contrary to what most people think, Ibanez doesn't make superstrats only.
Line 6 Spider Valves aren't the same thing as normal Spiders
5150s are more versatile than most people think
Tube amps aren't the answer to everything *flameshield up*

I'll come up with more later.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by colin617
It works. You have to understand how the graphic and parametric EQs work together on a Mark series to see why I have the EQ set that way.

Got any clips?? I just wanna hear it
1) You DON'T need a 4x12 to push serious low end
2) You DON'T need a tubescreamer to put in front of your amp for uber tight, metal awesomeness
3) Marshalls can, and WILL, do Metal quite well (tube marshalls, like the JCM800 series and the JMPs especially and I dont just mean metal like Priest, I mean even modern stuff, unmodded and without a boost)
4) Boutique is most definitely NOT the best way to go (although in a lot of cases it can sound better)
5) Boss actually does make good quality, reliable pedals that sound good
6) Distortion from a pedal can actually sound good (sometimes better than a tube amp's natural gain *gasp* )
7) You don't need to be the next Yngwie or Vai to make good music (seems like a lot of guys on here put waaaay too much emphasis on technical ability as opposed to overall musical ability)
The Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz (or 59) set is overrated. People don't look into other Duncans or Dimarzios because the pickup says 'Seymour Duncan'.

1) You DON'T need a 4x12 to push serious low end
2) You DON'T need a tubescreamer to put in front of your amp for uber tight, metal awesomeness
3) Marshalls can, and WILL, do Metal quite well (tube marshalls, like the JCM800 series and the JMPs especially and I dont just mean metal like Priest, I mean even modern stuff, unmodded and without a boost)
4) Boutique is most definitely NOT the best way to go (although in a lot of cases it can sound better)
5) Boss actually does make good quality, reliable pedals that sound good
6) Distortion from a pedal can actually sound good (sometimes better than a tube amp's natural gain *gasp* )
7) You don't need to be the next Yngwie or Vai to make good music (seems like a lot of guys on here put waaaay too much emphasis on technical ability as opposed to overall musical ability)

1. Agreed
2. True, but if it makes the tone tighter and more awesome, why not?
3. Agreed, tried a Schecter 7-string through a JCM 800 RI and it sounded awesome.
4. Tone is subjective, quality/reliability isn't though.
5. Agreed
6. I have yet to see one (I don't think it's impossible though)
7. 'Good' is subjective.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by colin617

+1

Mesas (especially the older ones) are probably the weirdest amps to EQ. where you might think putting a ton of low end in your sound will get it heavy, it can sometimes actually be putting your bass knob at 1 that makes the heaviest sound. Or that more treble and mids will make it brighter and cleaner, sometimes rolling them off completely will actually warrant the cleanest and brightest sound. I'm constantly at fits with my DC-5 head and it's EQ settings. What sounds good playing by yourself may actually sound TOO midrangy with a full band (trust me, this actually happened!). Plus, Mesa's are insanely midrangy, hence the consistent scoop on a lot of Mesa users EQs.

btw, what Mark is that? a III?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
+1

Mesas (especially the older ones) are probably the weirdest amps to EQ. where you might think putting a ton of low end in your sound will get it heavy, it can sometimes actually be putting your bass knob at 1 that makes the heaviest sound. Or that more treble and mids will make it brighter and cleaner, sometimes rolling them off completely will actually warrant the cleanest and brightest sound. I'm constantly at fits with my DC-5 head and it's EQ settings. What sounds good playing by yourself may actually sound TOO midrangy with a full band (trust me, this actually happened!). Plus, Mesa's are insanely midrangy, hence the consistent scoop on a lot of Mesa users EQs.

btw, what Mark is that? a III?

Yeah, i've never actually played with one, but i know they're very mid heavy, and i've heard they're difficult to EQ.
Quote by colin617

+1

Alot of Mark series guys run them that way...
I'll disagree with the general consensus of this thread that the general consensus of this forum is that Boss pedals suck. Think about it if you're confused.

Oh, and to add to the discussion:
The TS808 is an overpriced piece of junk.
I actually don't think Spider III is as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, they're somewhat overpriced, and you sound like you're playing inside a tin can, they don't make your ears bleed with their tone.

Also: I'm not too fond of JB humbucker since it sounded very trebly and thin, but, to be fair, I was not using it for it's usually recommended purpose (heavier rock or metal).

Oh, and I tried a Boss ME-50 multieffect. It actually sounded pretty good. The reason I wouldn't get it is because I really only want 4-5 effects maximum (OD and Fuzz, Wah, Phase, Delay), and I'd rather get ones of high quality that I'll keep for a long time (which is why I bought a Budwah, and I'm saving to get a EHX Polyphase).
Saint Louis Blues
Last edited by The Picker at Nov 26, 2008,
The things below are posted frequently but arent true.
Ibanezes are only good for metal.
Mg's and spiders are the worst amps out there (they're **** but not that bad as practice amps)
Valvekings suck
Getting a bad trem like an edge 3 will kill everything thats good about your guitar (bad trems aren't that big a deal)
After upgrading your amp you should then upgrade your pickups (usually not necessary)
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
-I personally love MG's. I don't give a sh!t about what other people say. I like my MG.
-Get an Epiphone guitar if you want an SG or a Les Paul. They are just like the but the pickups are a tad-less as good. Unless there is a specific Gibson you need, Epiphones are the way to go.
-One of the best things about playing punk is that there is no extra things you need to do with equipment. Just get a guitar you like, get an amp you like, make your sound, and then you are all set to go.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.