Hey guys, I'm Monty and this is my first post here though I've been here many times. I'm very grateful for this huge resource of info.

STORY:
Recently I joined a band which requires drop C tuning and I didn't want to put any of my main guitars through the punishment of being set up in C. So I pulled out my old Jackson King V (late 80's early 90's) and got it set up.

QUESTION:
I've owned this guitar since I was 12 and have many vintage (to me anyway) stickers on the guitar, many of these stickers are not even vinyl or waterproof, just sweating on them destroys them. I want to protect these stickers as professionally as possible so my 'first metal guitar' will be preserved.

So far a tech buddy suggested wiping the stickers with super glue using a rubber glove. I've though of buying a bottle of Gloss enamel type spray. Either of these methods I would mask the guitar and only get the stickers themselves.

So that's my issue, any quick ideas or professional recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how much cash I'm willing to spend on this, but time/effort is not an issue.

Thanks for reading!
-Monty
Last edited by Monty_Python at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by Monty_Python
I've though of buying a bottle of Gloss enamel type spray.

yeah.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
Thanks for the reply, anyone have experience in this subject or at least an educated guess? Thanks!

-monty
Guitar: Original Parker Fly Classics - Flextone HD - POD
Bass: Schecter Studio 4 - POD XT pro
It all depends on the decals/stickers some paints will make the ink run. Some vinyls will react to paint as well and wrinkle. Your kind of in a rut as you have so many different types of stickers that all have different properties.

I wonder if there is a good clear self adhesive vinyl you could cover the top of the guitar with?

I have sealed old magazine, newspapers, comic book pages, money, playing cards and other paper products in bar and table tops using a clear resin but I doubt that will work on a guitar way too thick.
I ended up leaving the vinyl stickers alone and using 'Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Gloss Crystal Clear"

It's not easy to manage even when the guitar it masked off with tape. Sprays unevenly. The final goal was achieved, these sensitive stickers are now protected, does not look very professional; though... which fits the guitar luckily.

As far as non-vinyl-Stickers ink running, only one of them did slightly, and the sticker it beyond paper thin.

Hope these results help anyone trying to do the same thing as me in the future. This was a low budget Jerry-Rig way to fix the problem and it worked but doesn't look pro.

-Monty
Guitar: Original Parker Fly Classics - Flextone HD - POD
Bass: Schecter Studio 4 - POD XT pro