EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
yes, dotn get the ibanez
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
the epi is tons tons better than the ibanez.
EDIT: getting your son the ibanez will give him something new and i guess exciting to him but once he gets better he'll realize its not all that great and want a new one.
but the epi is a guitar that can last him for years and years to come.
Are you sure you want a les paul shaped guitar? depending on the age of your son the extra weight normally found in les pauls might be a burden.

Out of those two i would go for the epiphone because i have found their quality more consistent, and i prefer bound necks.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Epiphone SG's are also very good.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291

I have this guitar, and it sounds and feels great.

For the same price, you can get a Fender HSS Statocaster.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039

They are quite a lot of money, but they are mostly cheaper than the Les Paul.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
the quality of the epiphone is far better than the Ibanez, it is also a pretty well made guitar, especially for the price. The extra $200 is easily made up in the tone and quality of the guitar but its really a case of how experienced your son is etc The epiphone will last him longer in my opinion
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
As an Ibanez fanboy... get the Epi.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Its difficult to answer that with the limited details you gave us.

Depending on your son's level (novice or experienced) he may want either. The artcore is good because it has a slim Ibanez neck, and is cheaper. The quality and tonal abilites of the Epi would probably win out against the artcore, however. Also, your son's age and size might make a difference. If he is young and small, he may be best off with the Ibanez due to the small neck. The Epi has a thicker neck, from what I understand, so may be tougher to play. It depends on what he likes, I suppose.

Epi is always a good reliable choice.
actually, you'll be better of with a mim strat.
cheaper than the les paul, yet higher quality than the ibanez.
extremely versatile(and if you get HSS, then its like the most veratile guitar there is).
and if he's young and small, it wont be as heavy, as uncomfortable(strats are double cutaway, great comfort), and the neck will be easier to play because it'll be easier for him to stretch his small hands across the fretboard.
Quote by stratdud39
actually, you'll be better of with a mim strat.
cheaper than the les paul, yet higher quality than the ibanez.
extremely versatile(and if you get HSS, then its like the most veratile guitar there is).
and if he's young and small, it wont be as heavy, as uncomfortable(strats are double cutaway, great comfort), and the neck will be easier to play because it'll be easier for him to stretch his small hands across the fretboard.

The LP is 24.75" scale isn't it? and the strat is 25.5".
I have a guitar of each scale and is far easier to stretch on the 24.75 even though it has a thicker neck.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
TBH If you want an ibanez get an rg not an artcore
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
epiphone has a starter pack too, the epiphone fat 210 (or somthing like that) its a inexpensive beginners guitar, strat bodied and fairly light with a comfy neck. Check that online but I bought it at a local music store and for $250 your get the guitar a 15w beginers amp, picks, a cable, gig bag and a tuner.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
The epi les paul is great, but it is heavy, In my opinion a MIM strat is a great choice, its lighter, cheaper, and more comfortable, great guitar for kids.
i own an Epi SG g400 and have played many LP's are the local epiphone/gibson store (only really stocks those 2 brands) as I have been wanting an LP for awhile.

Quality control is a problem in my opinion with the Epi's. I don't want to generalise about them being manufactured in china, but the fretwork on a fair few of them seems dodgy, like you'd bend a note and sustain it, but it'd just hit another fret (that was high/uneven) and lose sound... I found this a massive disappointment. My SG also had dodgy fretwork. I couldn't find one that played properly without buzzing and didn't have a very high action. Most were setup very high on the bass side of the strings and lower on the treble. Then again I only tried Epi's, no Gibsons (out of my price range)

I also found with my SG that the bridge/saddles used in the Epi's are of poor quality as they are diecast, and the saddles easily develop rattling on my SG. One of the screws is useless now as i think it has threaded somehow, so now won't intonate and I have to either sell the guitar or change over to a Graphtech bridge. The nut on the top of my guitar has also somehow worn down and also needs replacing. I've owned it one year, but play alot (2hrs+ a day i'd guess).

Personally I'd shop around... Agile i've heard make good, affordable LP copies. Ideally, all quality and brand-bashing issues aside, you need to take him to play guitars and see what he likes after playing them both. *shrugs* he might even decide he likes something different altogether, but guitars are very personal like that - I say he should get whatever will make him play the most, regardless of quality, looks, sound, anyhing. but that's just my opinion.

As for brands with better quality, i've since upgraded to two Schecter guitars and I think they have great build quality and the sheer features for the price make them hard to go wrong with. But again, whatever makes him play the most, because once he's passionate enough, he'll be saving up for his own guitars, and that imo is what i'd want for my own son if I had one - the passion.

Oh and on a side note - why does everyone consider a guitar's weight such a big factor?? I'm not a big bloke but i've never had problems with the weight of LP's...imo you will get used to whatever you play, and balance is more important than overall weight (ie should not make you support the neck from dropping when standing). i mean it's not like you have to be able to swing the thing around your shoulders...yet =P
Last edited by yenners at Nov 26, 2008,