Okay so ive had my guitar for a few months now, and i can do alot of crazy things with it and play pretty fast (all the kids i know whove been playing for years get amazed lol) but one thing i cannot do is alternate pick. i mean i can downstroke really fast and stuff but ive heard that alt picking will make the notes sound cleaner. and with fast downstrokes there not always that clean. i can trem pick and all that jazz too.
buttt
with alternate picking i dont know where to begin.
where do you alternate?
is it an order like down on 6th string up on 5th or is it completely random?
Alternate picking is just picking up then down, and repeat. That's all it is, if your tremolo picking, then you alternate picking on one string.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Tremolo picking is not the same as alternate picking. Alternate picking is when you simply alternate between down and up strokes. Tremolo picking also involves alternating between down and up strokes, but you just play as fast as you can without any real regard for time and rhythm.
Quote by The_Sophist
Alternate picking is just picking up then down, and repeat. That's all it is, if your tremolo picking, then you alternate picking on one string.

i know what is it but im asking is there a certain order.
like up on 6th string.
down on 5th?
Quote by metallicaman051
like up on 6th string.
down on 5th?

depends if you're going to play from the 6th string to the 5th string

If your staying on the same string just downstroke on it then upstroke on it, that's it, and if you're moving strings, downstroke on one string then upstroke the other

Or upstroke then downstroke, your choice
Quote by Nevermind1299
depends if you're going to play from the 6th string to the 5th string

If your staying on the same string just downstroke on it then upstroke on it, that's it, and if you're moving strings, downstroke on one string then upstroke the other

Or upstroke then downstroke, your choice

alright thanks just answered my question
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
do chromatics. start slow and slowly build up in speed when you feel comfortable. over time you should improve, it worked for me.

It would be best to do 3nps scales to get the feel of switching strings from down on one string to up on the other.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
TS: Be careful with speed. You say that your speed is impressive, but after playing only a few months, I doubt you're particularly accurate. Speed is a byproduct of accuracy; develop the accuracy first and you'll see the speed come.
Alternate picking is when it doesn't matter how many notes you have to play per string you always pick up/down/up/down.
Recordings or it didn't happen.

Just check Idols of all the people that genuinly think they can sing, but sound worse then a 6 year old.

Word's doesn't cut it.

What's really fast? If you can only do downpicking. Your at least half as slow as any decent player that can alternate pick. Basic math.

My mom is impressed if i play summer of 69 by Brian adams. But somehow I don't think i'm steve vai (lil sarcasm).

Check out Freepowers sig on guitar techniques, or check out the "advanced techniques" section at the other half of MT. You will find ur answer there.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
play three note per string scale exercises up and down the neck. I prefer scale exercises to chromatics because in 3 note per string exercises you get the "up down up" stroke every other string which helps build stronger alternate picking.
Quote by Inferrest
Alternate picking is when it doesn't matter how many notes you have to play per string you always pick up/down/up/down.

and the speed?
Quote by :-D
TS: Be careful with speed. You say that your speed is impressive, but after playing only a few months, I doubt you're particularly accurate. Speed is a byproduct of accuracy; develop the accuracy first and you'll see the speed come.

Not to mention the fact that if you can't alternate pick, you simply can't play fast.
Maybe fast compared to a crippled turtle, but no more.
Quote by metallicaman051
like up on 6th string.
down on 5th?

The certain order is down up down up, it doesn't matter what string you are on or moving to, if you just picked down, then pick up.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Tremolo picking is not the same as alternate picking. Alternate picking is when you simply alternate between down and up strokes. Tremolo picking also involves alternating between down and up strokes, but you just play as fast as you can without any real regard for time and rhythm.

I don't know if I would say that exactly.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
(all the kids i know whove been playing for years get amazed lol)
but one thing i cannot do is alternate pick.
...there not always that clean.

All the kids you know who've been playing for years appear to know nothing.

Start at my sig. Move on from there.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Not to mention the fact that if you can't alternate pick, you simply can't play fast.

I wouldnt exactly say that
Ive jammed with quite a few people and while they alt pick (stuff like all that remains as i lay dying metallica pretty much anything i play)
I will be down picking and going the same speed. Its not hard to go fast nor be accurate with down picking. it just takes more speed in the wrist to move it back up to have the downstroke

Originally Posted by :-D

and to this, not all guitarist learn at different speeds. i never "beginner" songs to say because i jumped straight into metallica and with that slow practice you build up speed. its not hard to do.
=-D is correct, in other words
Sit down, grab your axe, get a metronome set it to a tempo you know you can play at cleanly
a person who is new to alt picking...I would say try at maybe 70bpm or something.
And as you play cleanly at that tempo set and you wanna bump it up, w/e you picked to play at, increase by 5-10bpm, again what tempo you know you can play cleanly, and repeat that process, don't worry about getting insanely awesome alt picking skills, that comes with time and practice. That's how I got down alt picking when I first started playing, I still use it when I feel I am a bit rusty, very effective, I think of it as a game really.
Have patience, you WILL get it.
Yeah i know i dont have a metronome but ive been just sitting down and playing songs.
Alternate picking isnt hard to do my main question in this post was just the

whether or not when you alternate pick if each up or down stroke has a different string. such as 6 up 5 down and if that was always how it was.

since i found out its not then its pretty easy to adapt picking to.

thanks for the help and tips though
When you alternate pick, the only thing dictating whether you do a downstroke or upstroke is what you did last. Not what string, not nothing.

You just did a down? Do an up. And vice versa.
Quote by metallicaman051
i can do alot of crazy things with it and play pretty fast (all the kids i know whove been playing for years get amazed lol)

Something tells me you pushed your technique too hard and now have bad technique...but I'll assume the best.

Just had to throw my two cents in.

EDIT: To answer your question...
Quote by Freepower
When you alternate pick, the only thing dictating whether you do a downstroke or upstroke is what you did last. Not what string, not nothing.

Always listen to Freepower...He is a master teacher. (I wanna move to Dublin...)
Speed is a byproduct of accuracy; develop the accuracy first and you'll see the speed come.

Just gotta clear something up a bit...Not that this isn't true - It's all true, there are just some missing details.

Speed is a byproduct of accuracy, but I consider accuracy to be a byproduct of relaxation. No relaxation, no real accuracy. Also, NO anchoring. (read the sticky 'Don't Make Anchoring Threads!') Anchoring means, no - or very little - true accuracy.

I had better shut up before I start saying false statements...I've been known to do that.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Freepower

yeah i get it now that was just my simple question.
thanks
Quote by Retro Rocker

Exception to the rule, Ron Jarzombek.
Though he's incredible at alternate picking too

+1 I found myself thinking the same thing.