Hi all,

I know there are already threads like these lurking around, but what the heck...

Basically after playing nearly 3 years I am struggling to make that extra leap in my playing and move forwards and continue to progress.

What is the best way for me to push my playing further and make another leap?

I am mostly getting into blues and jazz right now and I want to become pretty competent in both styles (both lead and rhythm) so I am able to improvise etc.

Can you recommend what I can do to push myself forwards? Any particular theory or exercises or other approaches I should take? Some good songs to learn? (I love playing along to backing tracks and songs)

Help greatly appreciated. Peace
Quote by XtAsY2007
Hi all,

I know there are already threads like these lurking around, but what the heck...

Basically after playing nearly 3 years I am struggling to make that extra leap in my playing and move forwards and continue to progress.

What is the best way for me to push my playing further and make another leap?

I am mostly getting into blues and jazz right now and I want to become pretty competent in both styles (both lead and rhythm) so I am able to improvise etc.

Can you recommend what I can do to push myself forwards? Any particular theory or exercises or other approaches I should take? Some good songs to learn? (I love playing along to backing tracks and songs)

Help greatly appreciated. Peace

Jam with other players help improvising a lot. Especially when you play with players who are much better than you; learn from them!
Quote by Mwoit
Jam with other players help improvising a lot. Especially when you play with players who are much better than you; learn from them!

i completely agree! however given where i am right now its abit difficult. Can you recommend stuff i could do by myself?
Quote by XtAsY2007
i completely agree! however given where i am right now its abit difficult. Can you recommend stuff i could do by myself?

Well, I guess you can always try record yourself over some chord progressions and listen back to yourself. Helps with self criticism and such.

Download Audacity and if you have a wee computer microphone or something (anything that picks up sound will do) and record a 32 bar chord progression or something. Then record a solo over it and listen to yourself play and see what you could fix and such.