Sorry about the OMG in the title, but these kinds of threads are done to death.
For a while, I've been playing on an old 12 string and a really old beat up Applause. I would like a fairly cheap acoustic, compared to what people spend on them(Around $300 -$500) I really like the sound of the Epi Hummingbirds and the Ibanez Exotic woods. I don't really like the look of "plain" wood all that much. Has anybody had much experience with the exotic wood series? I like a deep, kind of mellow tone, not to bright.

Thanks in advance.

One of the Ibanez Exotic wood series.

Epiphone EJ-200
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

look into an Alvarez, I've got one and I love it. It's got the nice deep tone you were talking about and their not expensive pending on the model you get, obviously. Their great sturdy guitars as well, mine never comes out of tune and It's taken a beating over the few years I've had it, it's been dropped down stairs, knocked against walls, even dropped into a mud puddle haha and it still plays great. Check some of em out.
Out of the ones I've played, low end Ibanez acoustics are flashy but generally don't sound as nice and aren't nearly as worthwhile in the long run.

In your price range look for a solid top guitar. Definitely try out a cedar top and a spruce top - from your description you might prefer cedar.
omg
omg
omg
omg
omg
omg
omg
omg

you would buy some of the worst sounding guitars just for looks?

their tones are meh. yamaha and alvarez are better options, and don't look for the flashy ones if you want it to sound good, flashy + low budget cheap guitars = bad sound. also the exotic wood by ibanez suck. none of it is solid wood, it's all laminate.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by about
omg
omg
omg
omg
omg
omg
omg
omg

you would buy some of the worst sounding guitars just for looks?

their tones are meh. yamaha and alvarez are better options, and don't look for the flashy ones if you want it to sound good, flashy + low budget cheap guitars = bad sound. also the exotic wood by ibanez suck. none of it is solid wood, it's all laminate.

I didn't say flashy or they had bad sound. I've played them a lot in various stores. I personally think they sound. I was just wondering if those certain guitars had any flaws.

▲ ▲

Quote by OzarkMDaredevil

I didn't say flashy or they had bad sound. I've played them a lot in various stores. I personally think they sound. I was just wondering if those certain guitars had any flaws.

lol, no thats my opinion sorry. i didnt mean it to sound like i shoved or interpreted words differently into your mouth.

they are just too much money for how poor they sound. they look cool but sound meh. many beginner yamaha guitars are way better.

main flaws in ibanez acoustic guitars (electric guitars are OKAY, SO GO AWAY YOU ELECTRIC PLAYERS WHO HAVE BEEN SAYING IBANEZ IS GOOD) include...

poor quality construction
weak tone (in mine and many others opinions)
poor quality control (not sure what people mean by that)

basically tone is what you look for then comfort. can't really gauge comfort, for person to person it's different. after those two requirements are satisfied then you can go for the looks.

and a flaw in general for guitars is that if it's cool looking and has those awesome inlays, usually those things are reserved for high end guitars. if you're okay with looks and sacrificing tone (as well as a little-lot bit of comfort) then go ahead for the ibanez, but i like the tone i get from my ordinary looking guitar.
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Anybody ever played this?

I played it for a really long time today in a local shop, and everything seemed to fit well. I don't know bout it's construction though.^^

▲ ▲

ask yourself if it was comfortable and if you really like the sound. that's all that really matters.

(my advice is though, is to say away from ibanez.)
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I like how we all said to stay away from Ibanez and yet he's still probably going to buy an Ibanez Acoustic.

Seriously man, check out Alvarez, you won't be disappointed it's in the same price ranges as Ibanez and yet the sound it far superior and the quality is way better, not to mention the sound and lifetime. Follow the previous links I posted and check them out. Seriously. Do it.
guitars without all the paint and clear coat sound better cause the wood can vibrate more freely .. i played the humming bird and i like it its cool .. but the epiphone masterbilt series is much better ..all solid wood and i believe the dr500m is 450 ? or was it 550 .. either way lot of bang for your buck .. go try one
take it easy man .. its just a thread
We're not trying to be anti-Ibanez, it's just that you can get so much more for the money.

Try a Takamine GS330S (I still think cedar might do you some good). Then a solid spruce top in the same price range. Compare tones.

And then an Epiphone Masterbilt if you can. Compare the sound quality, build quality, comfort and overall polish to the ones you've been looking at and report back here.
How are Dean's acoustics?

I don't quite trust the people who made the acoustic flying V.

Also, what about Gretsch acoustics? I've played hollowbodies before, just not their acoustics.

▲ ▲