Is anyone else like this?

I mean, I can learn songs EASILY when someone takes the time to show me where my fingers should go, or how fast I should strum, or how many pull offs I should do... rather than reading a tab or a piece of sheet music & having to figure it out myself.

I just memorize it better that way. So usually now I watch YouTube tutorials & that, but it's really limited because it doesn't have EVERY song like UG does.

But is this a normal step, and will I grow accustomed to tabs in the future?

I really suck when it comes to Scales... are there any guides out there?... it'd be good if someone could give me a link or so, because then I know that it's correct!

(I usually stumble upon guides that are totally wrong and I don't notice it until someone tells me...)
Quote by Diesk88

I really suck when it comes to Scales... are there any guides out there?... it'd be good if someone could give me a link or so, because then I know that it's correct!

Try Google mate.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
there are some pretty good lessons on this site. I have learned loads from them in the few months i have been playing, and i am very happy with my proggression. I agree that i remember it easier when someone teaches me how to do something, but i dont find it very difficult to figure it out by tab. if your having troubles listen to the song while reading the tab so you can actually hear what/how your supposed to play instead of just guessing.

hope this helps a little but seriously look at the lessons here and they can possibly help you a ton.
Just learn by ear, slow it down in Windows Media Player, there's a plugin that comes with it to adjust the speed, look for it in options.

For scales:
http://www.guitarists.net/scales/index.php

I recommend it, but also learn how they are constructed and how they work so you don't look like an idiot (so also you learn the theory because you will need it down the road for modes, triads, arpeggios, etc.).
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

That's a bad habit to get into - what that means is you're relying on being spoonfed information rather than developing your own ears and getting used to reading tabs. You only get better at those things by doing them, if you avoid them in favour of the "easier" route then they'll never improve and you'll never be able to learn anything for yourself.

Of course it's difficult at the beginning, all new skills are - things will get easer, but only if you work at them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I really like this site for the various modes. Remember - these are modes of the major scale, not scales in and of themselves. They are indeed different, but in practicality, they're very, very similar

MadTaco
Like what SSeagull said, its a pretty bad habit, for me i listen to the songs and play the tabs, usually i watch videos on people doing covers but thats just it, you really need to learn how to play tabs, its quite important, try an easy song and learn it with just the song and the tab, like One by Metallica, minus the solo, it shouldnt be too hard.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by DSchmitty
Just learn by ear, slow it down in Windows Media Player, there's a plugin that comes with it to adjust the speed, look for it in options.

For scales:
http://www.guitarists.net/scales/index.php

I recommend it, but also learn how they are constructed and how they work so you don't look like an idiot (so also you learn the theory because you will need it down the road for modes, triads, arpeggios, etc.).

Thanks, never knew about the slow-mo. :]

And thanks a lot for the scales buddy!, really helped.
Quote by steven seagull
That's a bad habit to get into - what that means is you're relying on being spoonfed information rather than developing your own ears and getting used to reading tabs. You only get better at those things by doing them, if you avoid them in favour of the "easier" route then they'll never improve and you'll never be able to learn anything for yourself.

Of course it's difficult at the beginning, all new skills are - things will get easer, but only if you work at them.

Thanks, I'll take that into consideration, I don't want it to become a bad habit.

Thanks to everyone who replied, definately gave me an insight!

Appreciate it.
Just remember to take things slowly - obviously if you're trying to learn some insanely tricky piece it's going to be damned difficult to see what the hell to do.

However if it's just a realtively simple song that, and this is crucial, you already know well then you shouldn't have too much trouble making sense of the tabs. The more songs you learn the better you get at matching up the tab, what you do with your fingers and the sound you end up making...and eventually you can pick up songs by ear and often forego tabs completely.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com