I'm not sure if we have a thread like this but if so please direct me to it.

More often than not, when I try to find the tabs for a song I really wanna learn they are either A. Completely off and no where close to the song or B. It's just the intro.

This can be very frustrating when I just want to pick up my guitar and play because I have to waste time looking for tabs and spend time checking to see if their right rather than learning the song itself.

I'm sure many other guitarists out there have the same problem as me so I think this thread should be a way to avoid all that wasted time looking for the right tab.

Basically, if you learned a song from a tab (the whole song, not just bits and pieces) then post it here. Then anyone that comes across this thread will see a list of songs that people have played and learned. therefore they know the tab is correct, or correct for the most part.

This should cut down on the hassle of finding the correct tab and you can get down to just playing.

So post away!
All of them.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Learn 2 play by ear.

But seriously, it also makes you add more of your own style of playing, even when you play it note for note you develop your own style.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by DSchmitty
Learn 2 play by ear.

But seriously, it also makes you add more of your own style of playing, even when you play it note for note you develop your own style.

That's dandy and all but I don't necessarily have the time to just sit and figure out a song like others might. Hence why this thread could help people like me.
Wouldn't this thread be a bit easier if you had people post a link, and than you put that link in the first post?...or is that what you were planning. You weren't exactly clear.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
That's dandy and all but I don't necessarily have the time to just sit and figure out a song like others might. Hence why this thread could help people like me.

That's no excuse, learn how to, with practice you'll get really fast at doing in (to the point where you can play exactly what you hear).
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

What's the point of this ear vs tab debate? both have their pro's and con's, it's a matter of opinion really, and farther discussion of it is pointless.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Use your ears - if part of a tab sounds wrong then it probably IS wrong so try to figure out what it should be.

You might not always be able to do it, but the more you try the better you get at it.

There is no "tab vs ear" debate - you should ALWAYS be using your ears. All those crappy youtube guitarists we laugh at? They suck because all they do is follow tabs and think that by putting their hands in the right place they've played a song...it's pretty much Guitar Hero mentality. If they actually listened to what they were playing they'd realise it sounded like ass and work at it until they got better. Tabs are just a simpler way of notating the song, you still need to be listening to what you're playing to know if it's right or not, moreso than with standard notation as there tends to be less information in tab.

There's little to be gained from people listing the tabs they used, that's just promoting ignorance. If you want to ever be halfway competent playing the guitar you need to have good ears, might as well start using them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by HLrocker
Wouldn't this thread be a bit easier if you had people post a link, and than you put that link in the first post?...or is that what you were planning. You weren't exactly clear.

That was what I meant. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
Quote by DSchmitty
That's no excuse, learn how to, with practice you'll get really fast at doing in (to the point where you can play exactly what you hear).

I do believe it is a very good excuse.
I try and get a feel for a song with a tab, and then if something doesn't sound right, try and work out a little lick or whatever that does...it takes a while sometimes lol.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I do believe it is a very good excuse.

No, it's a pathetic excuse...if you're too lazy/lacking in motivation to put the effort in then guitar isn't for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
No, it's a pathetic excuse...if you're too lazy/lacking in motivation to put the effort in then guitar isn't for you.

I don't have a lot of extra time balancing a job and college to sit and try and figure out how to play something by ear. I've already tabbed out 2 songs by ear and it took a good chunk of my time which I cannot spare anymore.

So for now, I would say it is a damn good excuse. I shouldn't have to use my ears correcting a tab that is accepted as correct. If I just want to sit down and learn a song and KNOW that the tab is correct I should be able to. I do believe that is the purpose of a tab site. To look at the work someone else has done so you don't have to do it.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I don't have a lot of extra time balancing a job and college to sit and try and figure out how to play something by ear. I've already tabbed out 2 songs by ear and it took a good chunk of my time which I cannot spare anymore.

So for now, I would say it is a damn good excuse. I shouldn't have to use my ears correcting a tab that is accepted as correct. If I just want to sit down and learn a song and KNOW that the tab is correct I should be able to. I do believe that is the purpose of a tab site. To look at the work someone else has done so you don't have to do it.

Then pay for your tabs - if you're relying on the VOLUNTARY, UNPAID work of others who've been kind enough to take the trouble to upload wht they've done then you have to take what's there, besides the rating system should give you a pretty good idea if the best tabs for any given song, and there's also the entire Tab Talk forum if you want to ask specific questions.

And yes, you should have to use your ears, whether it's to correct something that's wrong or simply to confirm that it's right...you're supposed to be a musician ffs, and learning to play the guitar isn't just about learning songs. You obviously have the time to train your fingers to do stuff - your ears are just as important.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Then pay for your tabs - if you're relying on the VOLUNTARY, UNPAID work of others who've been kind enough to take the trouble to upload wht they've done then you have to take what's there, besides the rating system should give you a pretty good idea if the best tabs for any given song, and there's also the entire Tab Talk forum if you want to ask specific questions.

And yes, you should have to use your ears, whether it's to correct something that's wrong or simply to confirm that it's right...you're supposed to be a musician ffs, and learning to play the guitar isn't just about learning songs. You obviously have the time to train your fingers to do stuff - your ears are just as important.

But the purpose of this thread is supposed to take away the trouble of sorting threw bad tabs. Why can't you just let me learn tabs how I want to?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I don't have a lot of extra time balancing a job and college and posting on a guitar forum to sit and try and figure out how to play something by ear. I've already tabbed out 2 songs by ear and it took a good chunk of my time which I cannot spare anymore.

Fixed.
Please please please learn to count beats to the songs you learn. When you just play straight from a tab you will not learn the song properly... at all...

Get guitar pro if you can.
+1 for Guitar pro

the sea gull is right, but i also use GP5, it`s HARD trying to learn a song by ear. i`m only now JUST barly starting to beable to pick out notes by ear and it`s been acouple years since i starting playing seriously
If it doesn't sound right from the tab, do that part by ear, if you're too lazy, buy a tab book.

Doing it by ear isn't that hard either unless you're doing a fast song or something.

I've only tabbed one song out FULLY by ear but if you give me something I can do it by ear, it's honestly not that hard, just get to know your instrument better.
I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there's quite few songs out there..

This thread would be ultra long. I mean, all your bass are belong to us long.

The more you search for tabs, the better you'l get at sorting the **** from the sweet.

It's an art. Be patient young one.
Middle of the Hill by Josh Pyke, tabbed by cate brown. You don't seem like the guy to play it but it's quite fun to play for me.
well following the advice of steven seagull..
im a metal guy, but heard a catchy tune on the radio..

used the tabs/chords on this site.

some sounded a bit off, so i corrected...and made a metal version, doing notes during some high pitched bits...

if you use your ears aswell as tabs...you can sort most out yourself.. and no im useless at ear tabbing!!!!!
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Exactly, there's a massive difference between tabbing an entire song by ear and simply filling in a couple of gaps. If there's a tab there then by all use it, if part of it seems wrong then sort it out - I really don't see what's so hard about that, it's just part of being a guitarist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc