hey my grandfather found this guitar in the basement of his mom's house. there are no markings on it except the word japan on it. its a red and black finish. i htink there needs to be a bigsby tremolo on it. but something from the bridge is missing.. i need help identifying it first then i will turn my attention to working on it
Attachments:
n1188322472_240.jpg
Quote by GS246836
hey my grandfather found this guitar in the basement of his mom's house. there are no markings on it except the word japan on it. its a red and black finish. i htink there needs to be a bigsby tremolo on it. but something from the bridge is missing.. i need help identifying it first then i will turn my attention to working on it

Can we get a bigger picture?
wouldnt let me put the picture in its actual size up said file was too big
Quote by johnro6659
It looks like it could be a vintage TEISCO out of Japan.

John

Yeah, Teisco, my first guess too. Some 70's Japanese piece, at least.

'86 Carvin V220
'92 Carvin DC135c
'06 Fender Strat MIM w/Carvin AP11's
'08 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone LTD ED. SG w/EMG 81/85
Schecter Damien FR
'08 Ibanez Prestige RG2610E
'04 Carvin CT4M
'91 Jackson Professional Stealth Pro

It looks a lot like a '62 Silvertone I got. Does the neck plate have a model number on it? It's got the same odd shaped pickguard and the slider switches for the pickups. Also that bottom pickup looks like the one in my Silvertone. That top pickup is not original and it could've only had one pickup from the factory since it has one silder switch

I would call it a Silvertone

EDIT:

Silvertone guitars were built by Teisco during that time. Here's a line to one that is really similar to yours (and mine).

http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/forsale_gtr-teisco_stdnt.html
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by johnro6659
I remeber when you used to be able to buy those out of the SEARS catalog.

danelectro used to own silverstone and sold them through sears.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
ugh still striking out. its really similar to the teisco though. only markings on the entire thing is japan on the neckplate. the body is pretty thin though thinner than my strat i think.
I would say it is safe to assume it was most likely it was made by Teisco under one of a dozen different brand names and some that were no name brands. Back then Teisco made guitars for just about every brand that came from Japan. I have had several Teisco and similar guitars go thru my hands you could always tell Teisco had built it To tell you the truth they were so cheap $10 to $25 bucks I used them to trash on stage. I wish I never did because some go for big bucks now. I remember two or three I had with 4 pups and a dozen switches, none ever sounded all that great and trying to figure out what switch did what gave you a headache. I don't know what kind of wood they were made out of but it was very light and broke easily. Keep checking Ebay sooner an identicle one will pop up.

John
well this guitar sat in a dirt basement out of a case for at least 40 years. i think its safe to say this wood isnt that weak. i keep coming close but no luck.