A brief overview before I dive into my questions...

A few years ago I was set on buying a Mesa Single Recto Solo 50 head as a gift to myself after graduating high school. I sold off a lot of my gear because I was getting ready to move and a week before moving I had to take an unexpected drive. On the way back I blew the engine in my car and had to buy another car asap since moving was right around the corner. Obviously, I couldn't buy the Solo 50.

Three years have gone by and I've gone through a few different amps:

- Peavey Valve King 2x12 combo
- Peavey XXL 2x12 combo
- Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo
- Line6 Vetta II 2x12 combo

I was at GC last week trying out some guitars and plugged into a Peavey JSX and then a Mesa Triple Rectifier. When I was playing the JSX I was trying to dial in a sound but it wasn't happening and I couldn't figure out what that sound I was going for was from, until I plugged into the Recto and remembered the Solo 50.

I'm already in the process of selling most of my guitars to upgrade to one or two guitars that I've wanted, instead of a few that I've settled on. The Vetta is a beast of an amp, but there's so much packed into it that I don't even utilize or need. I'm not big on effects or pedals, a wah and an OD and I'm set. I've noticed that the patches I've created with my Vetta all go back to the sound of a Recto. All of my patches are also very basic, OD to tighten up the low end, noise gate (when necessary), and occasionally delay.

To wrap things up... Sell the Vetta II and begin looking into the Solo 50 again? Does anyone here own, use, or have experience with the Solo 50? Anything else you guys would recommend?
You know how popular the mesa rectifiers are, right?

So many famous popular bands use them..

of course it's an amazing amp.
Get rid of that Vetta.
If that's the sound you like then go with it. While I don't personally enjoy the Mesa sound, they're popular and they're definitely reliable, so like I said, if that's the sound you like then grab it.

I'm really surprised that you didn't like the Legacy though, and even more surprised that you couldn't get a good tone out of the JSX. I've gone from Country/Blues/Jazz all the way to Metal with that thing.
You may have gotten the wrong idea from my post. I liked the Legacy a lot, just wasn't the sound I'm after. It had one of the best clean channels of any amp I've played and the smoothest lead channel that can't be replicated. It's very easy to get good tones out of the JSX, not sure where you got the idea that I said I couldn't. I almost bought a JSX combo around the same time I bought the Legacy.

What I'm trying to get at is change my rig yet again or stick with what I have? The search for the tone in your head is frustrating.
I think the Vetta does a pretty decent job of emulating Mesa's, not to mention all the other tones you can dial into it. I used to be a tone nut, too, a while back and tried a lot of different setups. I can tell you the way you play determines a lot of the tone too, not just the gear. I would stick with the Vetta because you just may want more options in the future.
So wait. You write this big long post about how much you want a Mesa. Then ask us if a Mesa is for you.

Then you tell us you've probably played more Mesa's and everything you want comes back to the Mesa sound.

Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by joed56
I think the Vetta does a pretty decent job of emulating Mesa's, not to mention all the other tones you can dial into it. I used to be a tone nut, too, a while back and tried a lot of different setups. I can tell you the way you play determines a lot of the tone too, not just the gear. I would stick with the Vetta because you just may want more options in the future.

The Vetta does do a decent job modeling Mesa amps, but lacks dynamics. I utilize my volume knob a lot. As long as I have some reverb and/or delay dialed in it sounds ok when rolling back the volume knob. Without one or the other, it sounds too thin. That's the one thing I miss about tubes, being able to go from a huge rhythm sound, roll the volume back for crunch, roll it back even more for a clean sound with slight breakup.

Quote by `digitaL.braVo
So wait. You write this big long post about how much you want a Mesa. Then ask us if a Mesa is for you.

Then you tell us you've probably played more Mesa's and everything you want comes back to the Mesa sound.

Played doesn't mean owned. Either I've used them at jam sessions, studio, gigs, etc. Sorry for typing out my thoughts to get input from others on my gear situation, I hope it didn't inconvenience you. Oh and wait, thanks for the contribution.
Yeah my contribution was perfect. You basically told us the Mesa was perfect for you. Then asked us if you should buy it lol.
Quote by sargasm
I must have missed the part where I said that. Thanks for filling me in on what I supposedly said and thanks again for another useless contribution.
I'm already in the process of selling most of my guitars to upgrade to one or two guitars that I've wanted, instead of a few that I've settled on. The Vetta is a beast of an amp, but there's so much packed into it that I don't even utilize or need. I'm not big on effects or pedals, a wah and an OD and I'm set. I've noticed that the patches I've created with my Vetta all go back to the sound of a Recto. All of my patches are also very basic, OD to tighten up the low end, noise gate (when necessary), and occasionally delay.

Then what's the issue, hmm?
Quote by sargasm
I fail to see how mentioning that patches I've created for my Vetta that are based on a Recto or Mark series amp even comes close to saying Mesa is perfect for me. Since you clearly can't comprehend my original post, I'll simplify it. I'm merely trying to weigh my options between keeping my Vetta or getting a new amp, whether it be Mesa or any other amp. That's why I asked for suggestions and comments.

I come to UG to give advice and help others out when they're asking about gear that I happen to have, have owned, or have experience with. The few times I create a thread looking for advice and all I get is someone looking to get their post count up. Give me a break.
So ok wait. You want a new amp. You're thinking of buying a new amp. Well if you get the sound you want out of your Vetta... why buy a new one?

If you are tired of the Vetta, but keep getting the Recto and other Mesa amp sounds out of it... why not... Oh I dunno... buy one?

I can't comprehend? Do you hear read your own posts?

Remember kids. The bigger your post count, the bigger your penis is!
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I can't comprehend? Do you hear read your own posts?

Sadly, you clearly can't. Let me help you by answering all your questions with previous posts I've made.

Quote by `digitaL.braVo
So ok wait. You want a new amp. You're thinking of buying a new amp.

Quote by Guitarmiester
I'm merely trying to weigh my options between keeping my Vetta or getting a new amp, whether it be Mesa or any other amp. That's why I asked for suggestions and comments.

Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Well if you get the sound you want out of your Vetta... why buy a new one?

Quote by Guitarmiester
The Vetta does do a decent job modeling Mesa amps, but lacks dynamics. I utilize my volume knob a lot. As long as I have some reverb and/or delay dialed in it sounds ok when rolling back the volume knob. Without one or the other, it sounds too thin. That's the one thing I miss about tubes, being able to go from a huge rhythm sound, roll the volume back for crunch, roll it back even more for a clean sound with slight breakup.

Quote by `digitaL.braVo
If you are tired of the Vetta, but keep getting the Recto and other Mesa amp sounds out of it... why not... Oh I dunno... buy one?

Like I've said several times already, I'm weighing my options and looking for outside opinions. What's so hard to understand or wrong with asking for suggestions, comments, help, etc. with gear I have and possibly changing my gear?

Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Remember kids. The bigger your post count, the bigger your penis is!

Is that going to make you sleep better at night?
lol... Dude...

You basically said the Vetta emulates the Mesa fine. But not quite good enough. You're very thick. I'll let you fret over this crap all by yourself and unsubscribe.
Quote by sargasm
The valve line 6's I have seen do sound good, but are not exactly the real thing. To be quite honest, the most popular amp at the local guitar center is the line 6 valve modeler.

I am a mesa owner so i may be a tad biased. But if you want the new metal sound, rectifier is like a no brainer. The other amps that interest me now are the jcm 900 kk, but i am considering just getting a 800 and throwing a few pedals at it to get the KK sound.
Guitars
Amps
Dude, that guy is right. You have wanted a mesa, you use your vetta to give you rec like tones, you're thinking about buying a new amp which you will probably use to try and dial up a mesa tone. You could have others suggest to you what their currently GASing for, or you could just submit to your GAS and buy yourself a mesa.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Matt15f
The valve line 6's I have seen do sound good, but are not exactly the real thing. To be quite honest, the most popular amp at the local guitar center is the line 6 valve modeler.

I am a mesa owner so i may be a tad biased. But if you want the new metal sound, rectifier is like a no brainer. The other amps that interest me now are the jcm 900 kk, but i am considering just getting a 800 and throwing a few pedals at it to get the KK sound.

Do you have any clips of your Rectoverb? Are they basically the same thing as the Solo 50 with the addition of spring reverb?
Quote by Guitarmiester
Do you have any clips of your Rectoverb? Are they basically the same thing as the Solo 50 with the addition of spring reverb?

yes, i'll try to send you some clips.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Deep*Kick
Dude, that guy is right. You have wanted a mesa, you use your vetta to give you rec like tones, you're thinking about buying a new amp which you will probably use to try and dial up a mesa tone. You could have others suggest to you what their currently GASing for, or you could just submit to your GAS and buy yourself a mesa.

At least I know I'm not stupid lol. Thanks for reinforcing my point.
Quote by sargasm
Give it a rest. You're not contributing at all, so take your bs elsewhere. Not every single one of my patches are based on a Mesa amp. So I'm considering the Solo 50 again, why make such a big deal out of it? No wonder I don't bother with this forum as much as I used to. The whole ignorant, know-it-all-kid vibe around here gets old fast.

edit: Matt15f - Thanks. Look forward to hearing the clips.
Last edited by Guitarmiester at Nov 27, 2008,
Hey bud. If I'm not the only one who feels like you said:

"I love Mesa's so much. I wanted one for so long, but my life happened and I had to settle with something else. I've tried (list of amps) and now I've since been brought back to thinking about getting a Mesa again. Most of my modeling amplifiers' settings end up sounding like a Mesa. Should I buy one?"

Then I must not be wrong.
Quote by sargasm
Dude just get the mesa! I really love mine, I the only thing ive changed is the effects loop from a parallel to a series, to get a better sound from my delay. If you're using your modeling amp to get just mesa types of sound then you really want a mesa. Modeling amps have great variety and thats why you get them but if you're just using it to get just one type of sound that defeats the purpose. Anyways, it sounds like you won't be happy untill you get a Mesa so......... just get one! I have some clips of mine in my profile, I love the clean sound I get but its taking me some time to tweak the distortion and to set up my mic placement to get the sound I want. So, if you get one and you just can't stand the the drive channel just give it some time, the controls interact differently than any other amp I've owned. The manual tells you all about how the Eq effects the gain and everything else, so i suggest that you read it and then re-read it. Its an amazing amp and since I got it I have not wanted anything else.
`digitaL.braVo - Are you having fun making an ass out of yourself? You're doing a great job, keep it up.

Muramasa - Your clips sound great! What made you chose the 1960A cab over any others? The cleans sound much better than I remember.
Quote by Guitarmiester
`digitaL.braVo - Are you having fun making an ass out of yourself? You're doing a great job, keep it up.

Yes I'm feeling great making an ass out of you.

Buy the Mesa. Move on.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Yes I'm feeling great making an ass out of you.

Buy the Mesa. Move on.

Dude. Just piss off. I don't care how good of a point you think you have, it got old after the second time you kept preaching it, so do kindly f*ck off.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Well, I could have had a Mesa standard cab with the V30s for $900. But I got the 1960a for about $300 on craigslist. The Mesa standard and 1960a are the same size cab but with different speakers, the V30s or G12T-75. I liked the G12 because it had a little more wattage and just a little tighter bottom end (to me atleast) plus I figured that I could add some V30s if I wanted to, maybe do an X pattern of the G12s and V30s. I'd try both cabs out if you can, each has a slightly different sound and it just depends on what you like. I do think that the Mesa cabs are built a little bit better, I had to tighten some screws down on the inside of my cab but nothing serious.
You made out on that 1960a cab. They do happen to pop up on CL often, I'll have to keep an eye out. I had G12T-75's for my Legacy and V30's for my Vetta. The Legacy didn't have much low end, but those speakers did have a tigh sound. The V30's in my Vetta sound much more open and I have to tame the low end most of the time. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to try a few cabs out. I'll most likely look into a 2x12 cab or possibly two 1x12's.
The other guitarist in my band has the single rectifier... lets just say i'm extremely jealous of it (we play metal)
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
I just bought a dual rectifier head last night, its amazing!!! I honestly think alot of line 6 stuff sounds WAY to digital. Like those new tube/modeler amps? I still think they sounded way digital and ****ty. I dunno man, I don't want to hate line 6 (and I'm not an idiot who jumps on the bandwagon) but every time i try one of there products out it disappoints me. I mean, I admit spiders are pretty good for the price, but you can do better. Whatever...enough about line 6.

I was afraid of mesas for awhile,seriously haha, because I had a bad experience where I couldn't figure out how to work a stiletto ahaha. But I tried one out and didn't give the Marshall head I was also considering a second look. There really not as complicated as they seem now that I'm not as much as a noob either. (Dual rectos seem pretty easy as compared to some of the ones with a few extra channels and whatnot.)
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
i was considering getting one a while ago before i settled for the mark. i heard a lot of good things about it, especially from derek (gpderek09 i think?) and he said it had a lot more balls to it than the duals and triples. i'm assuming it was a bit easier to hit the sweet spot on the solo 50's volume-wise.

and keep an eye out for deals, i almost nabbed one for $600 on CL, but already made up my mind on the mark =/
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by SSL27
Dude. Just piss off. I don't care how good of a point you think you have, it got old after the second time you kept preaching it, so do kindly f*ck off.
+1

Although equally TS needs to stop thinking he's right.

To make this ontopic, AB the Mesa you're looking at and your Vetta with its current settings in a store. Odds are if you play at bedroom levels a lot, then the Vetta is gonna be the better choice, but I think it's a no-brainer if you play concerts a lot. If you don't need that versatility you could even go for a single rec and have a nice simple rig.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The Vetta does a pretty good job but you will LOVE the Mesa when you get used to it.
milkmanv1 - Contrary to what people say/think about modeling, the Vetta sounds a lot more alive and doesn't thin out when cranked. Mesa amps do take time to tweak, but it's well worth it. How are you liking the JCM compared to the Stiletto? The Stiletto amps are known to nail the Marshall sound pretty well.

UnsignedRecords - That's the main reason why I was interested in the Solo 50. I don't need 100+ watts, the 50 is more than enough for recording and my gigging situations. You can push them much easier than a Dual or Triple. I'm going to be on the lookout for the Solo 50, Rectoverb, or one of the Nomad amps.

I've heard complaints about the parallel effects loop with most Mesa amps. I'm not big on effects, but occasionally use delay and reverb. How would a Rocktron Expression or TC Electronics unit work with the Recto? I heard that digital processors work better than pedals because of the converters.
Quote by MrCarrot
To make this ontopic, AB the Mesa you're looking at and your Vetta with its current settings in a store. Odds are if you play at bedroom levels a lot, then the Vetta is gonna be the better choice, but I think it's a no-brainer if you play concerts a lot. If you don't need that versatility you could even go for a single rec and have a nice simple rig.

When I originally bought the Vetta I bought it because I needed the versatility. A friend of mine was working on an EP with a local label and asked me to fill in as guitarist at gigs. I was also doing studio work for a local producer, the versatility of the Vetta helped out tremendously. Even though the versatility of the Vetta is a big plus, I don't do as much studio work with him any more, college and work got in the way of driving an hour up north a few days a week for practice and gigs with my friends band. I am moving onto other things that don't require the versatility of the Vetta. So, maybe it is time to simplify the rig again.
Personally, I have played quite a few Mesas, and love them. I am selling my L6POD x3 live bcuz I am so disappointed with the sound wen you really play loud enough to hear th nuances of your guitar... thats just me, but I say go with the Mesa.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
So get the Mesa.

Just don't expect not to miss some of your versatility.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
What about cab options? I'd prefer a 2x12 cab. What are your thoughts on two 1x12 cabs? Most 1x12's I've played sounded honky. Any recommendations?
Haha sorry TC, you miss interpreted me, I did write it a tad misleading though. When I was looking at upgrading from a practice amp I was looking for a tube amp so I was trying a bunch out, like the TSL combo thats a 2x12 (i forget what it is exactly.) and the guy at the store recommended a Stiletto, basically i hated it, I couldn't figure it out at all. So anywho I don't have a stiletto but I got a Dual Recto Last night. I was gonna buy a Marshall TSL60 head for 800, but figured I owed it to myself to try out other stuff, and this mesa was the only other thing in my price range. So I tried out the mesa and didn't go back ahaha.

Oh and for cabs, The 2x12's sound pretty good, but dont expect them to be as loud or push as much air, adding that extra oomph. (But that's a no-brain-er, I don't mean to preach like your a noob ahaha)
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
My friend has a Mesa rectoverb with a Marshall 4x12, its actually the amp i get to play the most besides my ****ty spider and i must say i do enjoy my time with it!
Gear:

Carvin Cobalt-350
LTD Alexi-600
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III 15
Boss DD-20
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss FZ-5
Dunlop Slash Wah
Ok On cabs, The 4x12 sounds a hell of alot fuller, My dad isnt a musician or anything but he said the 4x12 sounded so much better to him. I dunno It obviously sounded fuller and tighter but the 2x12 sounded alright to me.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14