Page 1 of 3
Are there any bass players that, while watching, just kinda make you depressed, because you can't do that? For me it's mainly Victor Wooten, he seems so relaxed while ripping apart my hopes and dreams...
Even though I'm not a bassist (I still play a little bass when I get the chance). Cliff Burton, because he's A: So awesome, and B: So dead. =( RIP Cliff
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
When I heard Portrait of Tracy and Enormous Room I stopped playing for 2 weeks. Sometimes I get depressed and think to myself that I'll never, ever write anything that beautiful in my entire life, no matter how long I try. I gets me bitter, but then I remember that I'm a rock bass player. They'll never rock out like I do.

But I will say that being alone and having no friends is more depressing than a bass player that's better than me

(read that last bit while looking at my avatar)
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I am only inspired to further lengths by most bassists, with the exception of Micheal Manring: the only way I can really make Monkey Businessman sound authentic is with a kajillion dollar bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
To be honest, the most depressing bass player to me is myself on a bad day. I will **** EVERYTHING up and give up on things more and more.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Mainly Michael Manring.

Since I'll never be able to write pieces of music that are as beautiful/touching as he does.
And he makes it looke so simple.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Andy Fraser (Free) so mature for his age.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Mike Dirnt - why did he have to become so boring over the course of making American Idiot?
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by John Swift
Andy Fraser (Free) so mature for his age.

he is a big stupid.

his basslines are cool. but he needs a big can of whoopass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I simply enjoy what they have to show me. I may never amount to them, but that's not something I worry about.

You just have to make the best music you can with the skills you have. Because not all amazing basslines have a stream of fast complicated notes.
It's not that he's good or anything, actually the opposite, but Sid Vicious really pisses me off. Come to thing of it, almost everybody in the Sex Pistols do. I really just want to punch something when i hear "Anarchy in the UK" come on.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Jaco.
The story of how wonderful a creature he was, with such feeling and talent. to be robbed by mental problems and drugs, followed by a career and life cut short from murder.

tragic.
victor wooten and billy sheehan make me want to pack up my bass and amp and call it a day.

but in the words of chi cheng: ill never be as good as those guys, but i can be the best that i can be.
Quote by malaysia_mari
victor wooten and billy sheehan make me want to pack up my bass and amp and call it a day.

but in the words of chi cheng: ill never be as good as those guys, but i can be the best that i can be.

Chi Cheng also said "oh no! *SWWEEERRVVVEEEEE SCREETCCHHH CRAAAASSSSHHHH SMAAASSSHHH!!*"

Now are we all depressed?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Shoulda heard me after Benoit...

But as far as I know he's not in life threatening condition. Serious, but more importantly, stable. I'm sure he'll be OK.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Chi Cheng also said "oh no! *SWWEEERRVVVEEEEE SCREETCCHHH CRAAAASSSSHHHH SMAAASSSHHH!!*"

Now are we all depressed?

add Misha Rosalak to my list...

seriously fitz, awesome name. everyone and their mother is either a Nicolas or a Lopez.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Great bassist inspire me, esp. when I see them live. Though I think to be as good as Stanley Clarke, I'd have to sell my soul and then some.

My downer as a bass player is to get the next plateau feel rather full of myself and then have that moment of realization that I have a very, very long way to go. That happened tonight when I played with a new guitarist who was very very good and I played very very bad.
Quote by the humanity
add Misha Rosalak to my list...

seriously fitz, awesome name. everyone and their mother is either a Nicolas or a Lopez.

It's funny... my mother's name is Nicholas Lopez...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
It's funny... my mother's name is Nicholas Lopez...

so's mine
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Better than a last name no one can spell or pronounce right

Seriously you are all young and have years to get to a good level of playing, so buck up and get back to practicing!
Quote by anarkee
Better than a last name no one can spell or pronounce right

Seriously you are all young and have years to get to a good level of playing, so buck up and get back to practicing!

try having 5 people in your class with the same name.

exactly the same name.

I was Nick without an H half my life.

and I am practising.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

"Great bassist inspire me, esp. when I see them live. Though I think to be as good as Stanley Clarke, I'd have to sell my soul and then some."

Very true Anarkee, Stanley Clarke is one of a few bassist who can play so fast and still keep feeling in the piece.
Any bassist that doesn't play Death Metal makes me sad... Waste of talent, nah kidding but seriously, DEATH METAL FTW
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
John Entwistle. I don't have a piano background thus not having the dexterity and speed. =/

However when I see bassists like...Pete Wentz, it makes me happier.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Quote by anarkee
That happened tonight when I played with a new guitarist who was very very good and I played very very bad.
You probably tried too hard Tams.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by the humanity
he is a big stupid.

his basslines are cool. but he needs a big can of whoopass.

And your point is?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I only get depressed about a bass player when i see a stuck up kid who's room cost more then my house playing a top of the range bass and sucking at it, then blaming the instrument.

But i'm only further inspired when i hear someone better then me. But i'm lazy aswell so it equals out. D:
Quote by DemonicSloth
It's not that he's good or anything, actually the opposite, but Sid Vicious really pisses me off. Come to thing of it, almost everybody in the Sex Pistols do. I really just want to punch something when i hear "Anarchy in the UK" come on.

Agreed. I hate anyone that idolizes that murderer and low-life durg addict.
Quote by Bass First
I only get depressed about a bass player when i see a stuck up kid who's room cost more then my house playing a top of the range bass and sucking at it, then blaming the instrument.

But i'm only further inspired when i hear someone better then me. But i'm lazy aswell so it equals out. D:

Yeah, that pisses me off too. I'm actually dedicated, and take care of my bass, yet all I can get is an Ibanez GSR190, and can't gig to get more because of my little 38w amp, and I can't afford the sound I want, because, beyond having a cheap Ibanez, I can't afford any equipment to go with it (soundgates, pedals, etc). All the money I can manage to scrape together goes to getting me by for new strings.... it isn't fair *cries*
arif from protest the hero, enough said
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
Quote by John Swift
And your point is?

my point is you seem to be stressed out.

take a nap.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Jaco Patorius.

Not because of his skill (I AM NOT saying he isn't good (and this is my opinion)), but because I think the whole..."thing" is depressing what with the noise of the fretless bass and various other factors that I'll sound like an arse because I won't be able to explain...

I'll have fitzy on my back now...
Page 1 of 3