I'm stuck in a serious rut guys....and I dont know how to get out of it. I've been trying to learn music theory, but with all my family business goin on, I havent had much time at all to do it...and what little I did learn over the past two weeks pushed me farther down....

Basically, I'm asking for a lil bit of help I'm stuck making generic metalcore riffs, which I hate, I'm sick of metalcore. I'm sick of so much pedalpoint nonsense, and I want to branch into better writing styles, but I need some out there things.

ANYTHING you guys can reccomend to me, be it a certain scale to play with, a new tuning (I've used C standard, D standard, Drop C, Drop D, Open D....new tunings please) a song or somethin, band, I dont care.

(Btw, if you guys could reccomend me something that would push me in the direction of a lamb of god-ish type of thing, I love their sound, but I dont want to copy it, just what they generally do in their writing process or something)

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

You could try to listen to other genre's of music or even other instruments, and try to imply some of those influence in ur riffs.

Joe satriani for instance has taken alot from Saxophone. If u make his lead lines into sax on guitarpro, you will instantly hear it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
why dont u start playing sumthing like the blues...? it can help u learn other metal if used correctly and is just fun..
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
Quote by dreams broken
why dont u start playing sumthing like the blues...? it can help u learn other metal if used correctly and is just fun..

Well, I'd rather not go the path most metal guitarists do, plus, I've played the blues...not really fun for me

Quote by xxdarrenxx
You could try to listen to other genre's of music or even other instruments, and try to imply some of those influence in ur riffs.

Joe satriani for instance has taken alot from Saxophone. If u make his lead lines into sax on guitarpro, you will instantly hear it.

Satch is amazing, and I do listen to other genres

I listen to an assload of different things...but primarily metal. *yeah, yeah, I know, lololol typical metal kid*

Any genres in particular that YOU can reccomend to make my soloing stand out?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

try standard tuning?

it shouldnt really matter. sounds like youre having inspiration problems really. listen to other genres, expand youre musical preferences. id recommend some blues, something that isnt as repetitive or mindless as metal.

and believe me, i used to play LOTS of metal. ive steered clear from there.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by valennic
Well, I'd rather not go the path most metal guitarists do, plus, I've played the blues...not really fun for me

Satch is amazing, and I do listen to other genres

I listen to an assload of different things...but primarily metal. *yeah, yeah, I know, lololol typical metal kid*

Any genres in particular that YOU can reccomend to make my soloing stand out?

I have found that learning Pink Floyd stuff has drastically improved my playing. David Gilmour knows his $hit... and I'm mostly a metalhead myself.
try standard tuning?

it shouldnt really matter. sounds like youre having inspiration problems really. listen to other genres, expand youre musical preferences. id recommend some blues, something that isnt as repetitive or mindless as metal.

and believe me, i used to play LOTS of metal. ive steered clear from there.

Standard tuning got boring for me =/, and yeah...it's more of an inspiration thing...I dont really know what to do to get some inspiration...

I have found that learning Pink Floyd stuff has drastically improved my playing. David Gilmour knows his $hit... and I'm mostly a metalhead myself.

I suppose I'll give them a look. First time I heard them...didnt like them too much, but I'll give em another shot.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Standard tuning got boring for me =/, and yeah...it's more of an inspiration thing...I dont really know what to do to get some inspiration...

It doesn't matter what new gimmick, tuning, or new thing you think is going to save
you if you all you go to is the depth of a mud puddle with everything. The next new
thing becomes old very quickly, and then you're back to being bored, hating and
stuck in a rut. You can keep running around like that, or you can look into the depth
of things which is what holds the interest in anything you might choose.
Here's an exercise that helped me a lot when i was a wee lad:

Pick up your acoustic guitar and sit down with another guitarist or bassist or whatever. Then start playing a basic 12 bar rock blues (V-IV-I pattern) and trade solos using the blues scales while keeping the line going. No effects, no different time signatures, no crazy stuff, just walk the blues at like 70-90 bpm and really dig into it. Its going to force you to create interesting sounding things with seemingly little to work with and thus will open up your mind.

Also (and this could just be my own personal prejudice talking, but) go pick up some Jazz, Classical, funk, and Hip hop records. Best thing I ever did for myself was get acquainted with Mr. Evans, Mr. Chopin, Mr. Hancock, and Mr. Def.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"
How do u mean "stand out".

Just do ur thing; what do u wanna achieve on guitar?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by fusionsan

Pick up your acoustic guitar and sit down with another guitarist or bassist or whatever. Then start playing a basic 12 bar rock blues (V-IV-I pattern) and trade solos using the blues scales while keeping the line going. No effects, no different time signatures, no crazy stuff, just walk the blues at like 70-90 bpm and really dig into it. Its going to force you to create interesting sounding things with seemingly little to work with and thus will open up your mind.

Also (and this could just be my own personal prejudice talking, but) go pick up some Jazz, Classical, funk, and Hip hop records. Best thing I ever did for myself was get acquainted with Mr. Evans, Mr. Chopin, Mr. Hancock, and Mr. Def.

Couldn't agree more with this post!

I'd like to add trip-hop to this list. Try listening to Portishead. No virtuoso stuff, but the feel of their music is amazing. They incorporate classical/hip-hop/prog elements and create awesome melodies, and there is a whole "music bed" from simple stuff that sounds so unique and minimalistic at the same time.

I've felt stuck before too, and I guess almost everyone feels like that at some point. Try to think what you have already learned, how much you have evolved from the "guitar newb" that can't play barre chords and so on. Just give yourself a break, don't push it. I've come to the conclusion that development as a musician/music lover comes not only actively, but passively too.

Enjoy what you are doing and something great will always come out of it.

My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo

If I had friends that played blues, that would be fun.

They all play metal, which is probably why I'm so damn unispired.

I'd like to add trip-hop to this list. Try listening to Portishead. No virtuoso stuff, but the feel of their music is amazing. They incorporate classical/hip-hop/prog elements and create awesome melodies, and there is a whole "music bed" from simple stuff that sounds so unique and minimalistic at the same time.

I've felt stuck before too, and I guess almost everyone feels like that at some point. Try to think what you have already learned, how much you have evolved from the "guitar newb" that can't play barre chords and so on. Just give yourself a break, don't push it. I've come to the conclusion that development as a musician/music lover comes not only actively, but passively too.

Enjoy what you are doing and something great will always come out of it.

I'll give some a listen, sounds interesting.

How do u mean "stand out".

Just do ur thing; what do u wanna achieve on guitar?

Stand out, I dont want to play the same thing everyone else is, I want to do something new, something...interesting.

I want to get where I can write the music I love, and be able to do it without getting stuck in a rut all the time. I'm not there yet....and truthfully, I'm not sure if that's possible, but I'm going to try.

That's the reason I wanted to know what Lamb of God did for their stuff, I love their music, and I'm going for the eery, creepy heavy sound as well.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by X_Op3th_X

Also give Massive Attack a listen - the 'Mezzanine' album is awesome a lot heavier than their early stuff.

When I get stuck in a rut I listen to the radio a lot as I get to listen to music I wouldn't think of listening to