I've been fixing up an old Harmony Rocket guitar (circa 1956) that I found in the trash. So anyway, yesterday I put new strings on it, and when I went to tune it, the whole bridge piece that the strings were anchored to ripped out. It turns out that every hole that the screws went into were stripped. Can I just use wood putty? Any advice?

I'll post pics later...
Last edited by kbm216 at Nov 26, 2008,
Fill the holes with toothpicks, epoxy them in, and redrill in EXACTLY the same place.
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Fill the holes with toothpicks, glue them in, and redrill in EXACTLY the same place.

this would do.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
this would do.

Don't do that, that's an incredibly dumb idea.
Fill the holes with epoxy glue (Stronger than wood) then drill new pilot holes for the screws and reattach the bridge.
Pix?
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by evilbeaver22
Don't do that, that's an incredibly dumb idea.
Fill the holes with epoxy glue (Stronger than wood) then drill new pilot holes for the screws and reattach the bridge.
Pix?

This method of fill-and-re-drill has always worked for me on tuners and pickguards. Is it the higher tension on the bridge that makes the toothpicks + wood glue idea impractical?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer