I'm a solo artist and have produced 6 demo's that I think are pretty good and want to get them out there into the music business but dont know what labels to target and what they actually look for.

Can anyone on UG help me out please?
links to companies or contact of any form would be massively appreciated

thanks

my URL for my different sound is here
I dunno, but I shall listen to your music.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by jdmusicuk
I'm a solo artist and have produced 6 demo's that I think are pretty good and want to get them out there into the music business but dont know what labels to target and what they actually look for.

Can anyone on UG help me out please?
links to companies or contact of any form would be massively appreciated

thanks

my URL for my different sound is here

you won't get signed just for having demos. you have to get out and play shows.
that's the number one rule for getting signed. if a band plays tons of shows and is well known in their area, it shows they have work ethic. thus attracting labels - be it big or small.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
I like your music.

Though, your Song Thank You and a really cheesy beginning
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Labels look for talent, and this gos for all labels
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Quote by exiledsoul
that's the number one rule for getting signed. if a band plays tons of shows and is well known in their area, it shows they have work ethic. thus attracting labels - be it big or small.

not necessarily, if you reach the right people. eg. Panic At The Disco, as much as you may or may not dislike them, were signed without playing a show.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Don't bother sending your demo to any majors. First because none of them usually accept non solicited press packages, and second because you're not going to get signed if you don't sound like Hinder. Try smaller indies like Kill Rock Stars or Ecstatic Peace.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by exiledsoul

that really depends, I'm trying to get signed off of demos, I'm an electronic act and will never play live with that. There are several acts like this that have record deals.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Try labels started by people already in famous bands. Some artists start labels because of how long it took them to get signed, and they will usually sign people easier than a really large record label.
Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

I have schizophrenia, I talk to myself,
People startin' to doubt my mental health,
Maybe someday I'll get the help I need,
But till then don't be blamin' mah weed.

*scratches*
I doubt they listen to al music. They get like 100 tapes a day. And with a lot of crap included, I can imagine within they can't be bothered to listen to it anymore. It also shows nothing about urself, or if u can handle work pressure.

Also If a big record company goes well financial wise, they dont' care for new talent. They rather stay with something that will insure income, then put energy into some guy that sent an album, that has no financial securance at all.

The "talent" era is over. Unless you come with a new style of music which is totally fresh and new. But with normal songs, they won't sign u, unless you have contacts or are really lucky that the Music producer listens to ur album when he had good sex the night before.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I doubt they listen to al music. They get like 100 tapes a day. And with a lot of crap included, I can imagine within they can't be bothered to listen to it anymore. It also shows nothing about urself, or if u can handle work pressure.

Also If a big record company goes well financial wise, they dont' care for new talent. They rather stay with something that will insure income, then put energy into some guy that sent an album, that has no financial securance at all.

The "talent" era is over. Unless you come with a new style of music which is totally fresh and new. But with normal songs, they won't sign u, unless you have contacts or are really lucky that the Music producer listens to ur album when he had good sex the night before.

You're only talking about major labels though, and the major label era is fading out pretty fast.

Last.fm
Quote by madbasslover
Just try some of the labels of your favorite artists.

This. If I ever record a decent demo, I'm sending it to Sub Pop ASAP.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
This. If I ever record a decent demo, I'm sending it to Sub Pop ASAP.

They've only ever signed like one artist based on unsolicited demos.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
They've only ever signed like one artist based on unsolicited demos.

Well, what other indie grunge/hardcore punk labels are there?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Well, what other indie grunge/hardcore punk labels are there?

theres a crapload, and sub-pop is more focused on indie singer/songwriter stuff nowadays anyway.

Last.fm
Make friends with tons of bands.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
theres a crapload, and sub-pop is more focused on indie singer/songwriter stuff nowadays anyway.

I consider myself to be more a singer/songwriter with a lost of distortion and three-chord riffs. I know these days Sub Pop is more about guys like Fleet Foxes. But I'll probably just look on the internet and see.

Anyway, to TS; look up some indie labels that are into the stuff you are.
Quote by Cathbard