I am having a weird problem with my picking.

For some reason I have trouble with ascending (ascending toward the little E string) picking runs. But my descending picking is probably 30% faster and more accurate, and it feels effortless. I've never trained one more than the other, so I don't know why it like this.

Anyone else have this problem? I don't anchor, and I train both alternate and economy picking.
Yeah i've realized it too.
For some reason its a lot easier to descend im not sure why though.
I anchor though so its a little harder.
I ahve a similar propblem, are you using srtict alternate picking? That helped my ascending speed alot, althouch descedning in still easier and quicker.
its probably your outside picking ... with licks that go from low to high on the strings (low E to high E) you typically start on a down stroke and therefore have to pick "outside" the strings. Reverse the pattern, (from high to low per se) and start with a down stroke, and you are most likely picking in between the strings to start with anyway (and assuming you are alternate picking). I notice this most with riffs of sextuplits (groups of 6 notes per beat) on two strings. Too tired to go into more detail, but youtube some paul gilbert lessons, and he really goes in depth about overcoming the picking barriers. You don't have to like his music, or "shred" for that matter, his master of the fundamentals can be used by everyone playing the guitar for any genre.
I had a feeling everyone wouldn't know what ascending and descending meant.

Ascending is starting on the Big E string going toward the little E string. Descending is the opposite.

So I have trouble picking towards the floor

Even on chromatic runs I still have this problem. Its nothing to do with outside or inside picking.
Analyse your playing. There is 100% something you are doing different ascending than descending hence the problem. Maybe you change the angle of your pick? or something like that. Just totally analyze it..play in front of a mirror if you can, and see whats happening.
Andy
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
Analyse your playing. There is 100% something you are doing different ascending than descending hence the problem. Maybe you change the angle of your pick? or something like that. Just totally analyze it..play in front of a mirror if you can, and see whats happening.
Andy

Yeah whenever I ascend, a lot of the picking motion comes from a pivot motion of my forearm. When descending, its more of a wrist stroke instead of pivot.