k this is a follow up question to my last thread
so if harmonic minor is 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
and Emaj is E F# G# A B C# D# E
shouldnt that make Em harmonic E F# G A B C D#?
in my other post someone said its E F# G A B C# D..
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
Quote by anonymous564
k this is a follow up question to my last thread
so if harmonic minor is 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
and Emaj is E F# G# A B C# D# E
shouldnt that make Em harmonic E F# G A B C D#?
in my other post someone said its E F# G A B C# D..

Yes that's right.
It's E natural minor (E F# G A B C D) with a restored maj7 (E F# G A B C D#)

EDIT:
Quote by st.stephen
The one the other person posted is the upwards (?) run of E melodic minor scale.
No E Melodic minor is E F# G A B C# D# (it is natural minor with restored 7 like harmonic minor and with the addition of the restored 6.)

The one the other posted is E Dorian 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by 20Tigers
Yes that's right.
It's E natural minor (E F# G A B C D) with a restored maj7 (E F# G A B C D#)

EDIT:
No E Melodic minor is E F# G A B C# D# (it is natural minor with restored 7 like harmonic minor and with the addition of the restored 6.)

The one the other posted is E Dorian 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7.

I was taught that melodic minor was (for example in E) E F# G A B C# D# ascending, and E D C B A G F# descending
Quote by st.stephen
I was taught that melodic minor was (for example in E) E F# G A B C# D# ascending, and E D C B A G F# descending
That's right. The other person didn't say "D#" as well though - so it's not the ascending E melodic minor like you said, rather E dorian like 20Tigers said.

Don't forget that melodic minor is often played the same way ascending and descending. It was just traditionally melodic up and natural down.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥