Page 1 of 2
I'm just starting out myself, and it's actually a fun and exciting time learning something I always wanted to. I picked up an acoustic about a month ago or so, and my addiction led to me picking up an electric over the weekend. I've got some of the basics down, but I still find myself looking up endless information to help me as I go...sometimes leading to information overload, but hey, it can't be bad to get as much info as possible I figure.

I visit guitar forums each day, have a few books, a few guitar tab books, and about 30 or so guitar tab pages saved on my bookmarks on my pc, that I fumble and practice through on a daily basis. It's kinda funny, when I go into a guitar center, (or any music store) to try out an amp, or pedal, and the fella hands me a pick and guitar to try out, I turn down the volume as I can only play chords at the moment to try anything out....or I even just ask them to play something to get a good idea of the product. Every now and then a light kinda goes off in me head when I finally 'get' something I have been working on, and it is a great feeling, and it's what keeps me pushing along, even though it sounds like a dying animal at times when I try to play something...

I'm sure others have been where I am right now, and I look forward to getting better a little each day....
to be honest i really miss the days when i was just starting out. I learned so much in the first 6 months its unreal. Im thinking about learning Piano or bass just to have the same experience again.
Its good to see your playing real guitar instead of guitar hero. Yeah I remember when I first played '7 nation army' not the most original for a first song choice.

even though it sounds like a dying animal at times when I try to play something...

Lol... Ah I know the feeling well....
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Actually, I just started playing a few months ago. I've been rockin' out on an acoustic I call Jessade and we have the best of times. In fact, I'm buying myself an electric guitar this Christmas, and I couldn't be more excited, because electric is something I've always wanted to do (I'm a rock/metal guy). I love how you just get better the next day, it's great.
Yea. I thought one giant open chord was cool with overdrive all the way up.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Awesome Hoggle, keep at it. I like how you're not afraid to ask the employee to demo the product so you can really hear it. Most wouldn't have the balls to do that, its an ego thing.

Its nice to get those light bulb moments, it keeps you motivated and makes you feel like its all worth the effort and you're getting somewhere with your playing. Best thing I did when starting out is download Guitar Pro 5 and PowerTab software so I can hear and see the song being played from tabs such as on this site. Helped me out quite a lot.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I actually do remeber it was a day like any other, until a guns n roses video started playing on my tv and I said HOLY **** thats what I want to do, havent stopped since.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I think the first song I learned to play on guitar, not bass, was either Santa Monica by Everclear or Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana. On bass the first thing I learned how to play was Zero by the Smashing Pumpkins... that's how long ago that was.

I remember having a really hard time learning to play guitar, especially learning to write songs. I found a CD with like 17 songs on it that I wrote when I was 13 or 14 and have yet to put it into anything to listen, cause I'm'a scared about how bad it is.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
i started this year in february, the first song i learned was Fade to black - Metallica.. i think i'm doing well i can do pinch harmonics, i can improvise pretty well , i can sweep, my teacher says my alternate picking and downpicking speed is pretty good.. im happy with myself
I've been playing guitar for about a year but i've not relaly practised as much as i should so i'm still fairly 'new' at least to solos, i know alot of like "framework" of songs i guess, just not solos. the feeling when something sounds right, you get ecstatic it's the best. Jimi hendrix inspired me to pick up a guitar. he's still inspiring me. i'm watching woodstock now...his improvisation....i love it
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by Julz127
Its good to see your playing real guitar instead of guitar hero. Yeah I remember when I first played '7 nation army' not the most original for a first song choice.

Lol... Ah I know the feeling well....

did you ever know that feeling so well that you started to question if learning is really worth it?
Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
I've been playing guitar for about a year but i've not relaly practised as much as i should so i'm still fairly 'new' at least to solos, i know alot of like "framework" of songs i guess, just not solos. the feeling when something sounds right, you get ecstatic it's the best. Jimi hendrix inspired me to pick up a guitar. he's still inspiring me. i'm watching woodstock now...his improvisation....i love it

you should definetly watch the 10 minute video of voodoo chile at woodstock,just watch where he makes the whammy sound,so spacy and otherworldly...
i started electric guitar this yr in january and have really progressed alot (imo) due to an almost insatiable hunger to learn and understand the new things i'm doing better. It has been so rewarding to see my own progress, and I am at a point now where I'm still shocked that I'm beginning to be able to play guitar close to what I had hoped for (maybe because I had a previous musical background in piano and drums). It really is a blast and I only wish this enthusiasm for learning and desire to expand my guitaring vocabulary never ends.

I've heard other guitarists say things like "Some people have it, others just don't", and personally I believe if this statement does apply, it applies to the passion for playing, learning and expanding on what we already know. As i'm sure many of you are aware, guitarists (self-taught or otherwise) can stop the learning process at many, many different levels, and back when i was younger I thought I could play acoustic guitar cos i knew the basic chord shapes and how to transpose them. I laugh at that idea now, and leave that kind of playing to guys who just wanna impress chicks by strumming out acoustic diddy's (great tactic, but chicks who dig heavy rock n metal r gonna be freakier anyway - i'd rather synyster gates my way into a chicks thong than jack johnson myself a handjob lol). I have other good friends who play guitar but don't seem to even share half the interest. I really think it helps to be an optimist of sorts when starting out.
I remember I came home with that Squier Starter package thing, ripped it open and looked at the guitar with such confusion. "Why does this instrument have strings and metal strips instead of colored buttons and a strum bar?" Just kidding. The first song I learned was Smoke on the Water, I felt so cool when I could play that riff and then in two weeks I had the solo down.
Gear:
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender G-Dec Junior Amp
ZOOM G1x Pedal
i got a guitar when i was 11 (fifteen now) i didnt play it for 2 years. it just sat in my bedroom collecting dust. then one day i was like screw this im bored. i picked it and started playing it a little bit more and more, i eventually got back into playing cuz i wanted to look cool. then i got serious about my playing so almost two years ive been going pretty strong.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
what got me to play guitar was my cousin he showed me a video of a guy named michael angelo batio :O!!!! (song no boundaries) and i was like o ****! i hope i can play like that one day...and well today i can finnaly sweep fast and play solos ! got guitar around 12 or 13 played then stoped..picked it up at 16 again lmao and hopefully ill learn no boundaries thats also why im looking for a good guitar with 24 frets!!!!
hah, I remember when I first started playing.

My dad gave me his old acoustic with a defected neck because it was so old. The action was so friggin high, I couldn't play past the 7th fret. I still can't to this day, but it was obviously more difficult when you first start out.

I also remember how all the songs I played sounded like ****. Specific reason: my tuner was set wrong without me noticing. Instead of being set as 440, it was set as 461 or something, and I'm just like "How come when I play Fade to Black, it doesn't sound the same as when James plays it? :<"
i prefer present day learning to when i was starting out. back then i didn't really do ****. all i did was try to learn songs and i learned them badly. now i'm playing jazz and different genres i thought i'd never be playing.
i started playing when i was 7 so thats been around 12 years..started out playing my dads acoustic alvarez...then started playing a fender strat....then a ibanez rg that had a tragic life....i love learning to play guitar you can play for 50 years and still learn new things on it everyday....a sea of endlessness.
Quote by DSOTM80
Awesome Hoggle, keep at it. I like how you're not afraid to ask the employee to demo the product so you can really hear it. Most wouldn't have the balls to do that, its an ego thing.

Its nice to get those light bulb moments, it keeps you motivated and makes you feel like its all worth the effort and you're getting somewhere with your playing. Best thing I did when starting out is download Guitar Pro 5 and PowerTab software so I can hear and see the song being played from tabs such as on this site. Helped me out quite a lot.

I actually download the trial version of Guitar Pro 5, and I really like it. I'm thinking of purchasing the full product once the free two week period is over. I find it as an additional learning tool to better hear how a tab should sound.
My parents got me a beat up strat for my 12th birthday, which I played until I was 15 and bought a bass guitar which I played until a year later when I bought a Dean MLX. Really not a lot has changed since I started playing; I can't play chords still, and I can't really name the notes on a guitar. I have taken the Metallica approach: Play what sounds cool without knowing much about the music. The only learning tool I've ever used is this website, which has gotten me from fumbling through Seven Nation Army and Iron Man to playing Raining Blood and Amon Amarth songs with confidence. And for that I give thanks, thanks to UG and thanks for everyone who posts tab here.
I remember I bought this banged up Dean XM from my friend for $60 and my first songs were Iron Man, Sunshine of Your Love, and Smoke On The Water (typical, right?).
Now I've been playing for over a year, self taught, and I'm a lot better and learning theory and trying to solo with feel. I play lead guitar in my churches Youth Band and I really miss the days when learning was easier, but I guess this is all part of learning.
Wish I could say I am good already. A week in, and still having trouble with kryptonite, ditched the tabs and learned the chords. Guitar is fun though, and I can't wait to be able to play some metal with an electric, soon as i'm half decent that is.
I started playing about 2 years ago, I was so happy when I finally nailed a few open chords :P
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Here's my story

At the age of 12 i got an classical nylon-string guitar. I learned som chords like D and A7. The guitar teacher stopped teachning, and i stopped playing.

4 years later at the age of 16 i have played guitar for a while and after a summer camp i was inspired to play real guitar, picked up my accostic and bougth my electric guitar after some weeks.

And 6 months after that (now) i play guitar, maybe 6-7 hours when its a weekend or a vocation. I'm addicted :P
started playing dec 2007 (2 years ago)
got kicked from basketball team and decided not to waste time
so i picked up the electric guitar (ibanez gio RG170dx)
i started christmas 07 and hav been hooked since and can see myself being hooked till im an oldman and my fingers lock up from arthritis....i would have never thought that one year after struggling with simple things i would be able to play Master of Puppets lead from start to finish. I love looking back and seeing how far uv come becoz its the biggest inspiration to continue and strive for goals
I still remember the day that I touched a guitar wanting to learn it. Some guy taught me how to play the C scale. I even remember the color of the chair I sat that day! lol!

And it was 5 years ago and I was 14 years old then.
Last edited by YA89 at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by Hoggle
I actually download the trial version of Guitar Pro 5, and I really like it. I'm thinking of purchasing the full product once the free two week period is over. I find it as an additional learning tool to better hear how a tab should sound.

Dude, download Tuxguitar. It's free, and it opens both powertab and guitar pro.

EDIT: I can't truly remember how or why i wanted to play. I do remember the first thing i really learnt was a ****ty version of love me tender by Elvis. It's not been until the last 2/3 years i've started taking it seriously, and now being able to play Gilbert, Satch and more and more technical stuff is really satisfying, Especially when you go through the periods of thinking you're not improving, and then you look back and see that you've improved dramatically.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Jan 16, 2009,
i'm probably gonna get some flack for this but two years ago guitar hero and a manga called BECK got me starting playing guitar.

i'm just amazed that there was a time when i couldn't get a C chord to come out of my friend's cheap acoustic...
i remember i was rather lazy about playing guitar when i started, i would barely practice or learn the songs my teacher gave me, and if i did i struggled through them. i didn't get serious about playing until my teacher told me to go to a guitar clinic paul gilbert did, and ever since then i have been practicing guitar non-stop.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

I was lazy I only played like once a week if that and didnt really learn anything obviously. I even left my strings on for over a year! and I never tuned it which probably explains why my ear sucks now.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by JessicaGonzo
to be honest i really miss the days when i was just starting out. I learned so much in the first 6 months its unreal. Im thinking about learning Piano or bass just to have the same experience again.

I didn't learn anything in my first 6 months. I didn't even learn how to solo until I switched teachers about a year after I started playing. My first teacher was horrible. All he did was teach me parts of crappy U2 songs. I've learned more in the last 4 months with my newest teacher than I learned in all my time before that with my previous 2 instructors(4 years). My technique has improved exponentially and my ear for strange chord combinations has become far more accepting. It just depends on the teacher IMO. But I do wish I could play more than just guitar and piano.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I remember when i insisted on fretting with just my index finger. And when I triumphantly nailed Wipeout. My first guitar teacher was a complete idiot, so I didn't learn much for the first year or so. But yeah, there were some good feelings.
ah... the days when i learned black hole sun... 'tis a faint memory in my mind, but it twas just a short time ago. i don't particularily miss those days, i was easily frustrated at my suckiness.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
I started playing guitar when my dad bought an acoustic guitar from Costco. It was an alright guitar, but I didn't play it much. I started getting serious about it when I got my first electric guitar one summer. I completely ditched summer school (tried to find excuses to leave early) just to play the thing. Picked up some few pieces of gear along the way and now I'm here.

I'm getting nostalgic about it
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I wanted to get chicks so i put on some strings on my fathers old 1988 steel stringed acoustic and learnt Seven Nation Army and Smoke on the water, after a month i found playing alot more fun that i thought and i bought myself a crappy electric and a MG.

Was a big sabbath fan so i learned Iron Man, Paranoid, Sweet Leaf and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath thought it was so cool.

Now i bought myself a new electric and rather improvise and try to create own stuff rather then learning other peoples songs, except from some Led Zeppelin.
I began playing when a friend taught me a couple of chords (G,Em,A,C), and i was soooo excited that il be shreading in no time. Well, my parents didnt let me buy an electric because i should "learn the basics" on my dads acoustic. Well, that put me off for about a year when i had just flat out bought an electric and a ****y amp. My parents noticed it after about 3 days. I got better with it in 2 weeks than i did in a whole year with the acoustic. Its been two and a half years now, and while i used to learn simple rock songs, i now mostly improvise because i want to create original music. The ironic thing is that, because i got much better with playing the electric, that i now often play my dads acoustic and actualy have fun doing it.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I started when I was in 7th grade.

I already played Violin since I was pretty young (I think 3rd grade) so I had a musical background.
I was about to switch to Viola becuase the school orchestra needed more (at the time they only had 1, so after I switched we were up to a full 2 viola players! WOOO)
and since I'm a bigger guy getting a bigger instrument made sence.

So in the process of learning to read the Alto Clef (instead of Treble like a guitar and violin and many other instruemtns, the Viola is one of a slight few instruments to use a different notation set up. just for those of you who did not know I figured I'd throw that out there. Look it up if you're curious)
I was also picking up a guitar.

I decided I wanted to and my dad said "well you're aunt plays guitar, maybe you can talk to her about it and we can start getting you Guitar lessons"

so the next time I was at my aunts house (I beleive it was for my cousins birthday) I asked her.

She sat me down with one of her acoustics and taught me how to play a D chord and a G chord (wow I'm amazed I remember all this stuff haha)

That night when we went home I went home with that Yamaha acoustic guitar.
I remember learning how to play things like the intro to Spiders by SOAD
Johnny Cash's Hurt
(I HATED The F major chord when I first started, it took me months to play it right)

about a year later I gave that Yamaha Acoustic back to my aunt becuase I got my first electric guitar, a Yamaha Pacifica.

Oh those where the days.
When a cheap guitar and a little amp made me happy.

then I got too into BIG FANCY STUFF OMG LOTS OF PEDALS

and now I'm back to a couple hundred dollar guitar, an amp, and 2-3 pedals.

Ahh I love teh guitar.

Thank you TS for bringing back memories.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Page 1 of 2