Page 1 of 2
Seriously I dunno if it's just that it sounds that bad or that I really REALLY suck. Could be both, but I don't sound ike this on my friend's amp. As soon as the distortion comes on I start playing worse. 90% of the time I now play unplugged. Just wanting it is demotivating.

Wtf do I do? I can't get any decent tone out of it. I also cannot afford a new amp.
Get a job, save, and buy a used amp. Help yourself.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I have a Spider 3 and I love it. Just mess with it a bit. And if you can't find something you like, go through the presets. There are some pretty good ones in there.
Spiders arent great but they arent that bad either.
the whole bandwagon on hating spiders here is really stupid, i bet half of them either havnt played one, or just didnt give the spiders EQ a chance.
mess with the EQ
LOL not strat dude again!
xD
there arent wagons of anything!
they just are bad amps!
i dont hate them or love them
but u could do better for the price dont u think?
maybe people are ignorant and maybe never even played one.
but cmon they realle arent good ampsxD
cheers mate!
see if u can sell it for just enough to get a micro cube trust me if u can do these ur tone will be so much better but still not half as good as tubes
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I was forced to play this pawnshop special guitar and another one from sears through a sears amp at my buddys dads house, i sounded like garbage and got down in the dumps about it lol. Peaople always say the gear dosnt make the guitarist but I sound a hell of alot better on my gear lol.

ps. guy above me, how do you like that blues jr?? can it be quiet enough for bedroom playing/ very dicrete practicing??
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Last edited by MOOSE_CCR99 at Nov 26, 2008,
Hearding your line 6 eh? Does it keep running off into adjacent fields?

Count yourself lucky its not an MG, those bitches can jump fences like you have never seen...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Nov 26, 2008,
My Line 6 Spyder II HD 150 sounds great. I have used it for about two years now and it performs great at home and on stage. I have even lent it out to friend who use it onstage with no complaints. I think you might have to try playing with the settings. I get a great sound and nice distortion from mine. I like a lot of distortion but you can play it with so many settings. I never use the presets though I adjust everything to my specs.

My old Marshall MG100 couldn't even come close to sounding as good no matter what I did except for when I sold it, it made the best sound as it was rolled out the door. The kid who bought it unloaded it as well and got a Johnson amp.

John
Quote by Absent Mind

Count yourself lucky its not an MG, those bitches can jump fences like you have never seen...

"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by Absent Mind

Dude, that's righteous.
Tell me more, brotha-man.

Line 6 has some good amps.
Spiders are not of them.
They are good for practice when don't have anything else.
Still, first chance you get, jump ship and get another amp.
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
I was forced to play this pawnshop special guitar and another one from sears through a sears amp at my buddys dads house, i sounded like garbage and got down in the dumps about it lol. Peaople always say the gear dosnt make the guitarist but I sound a hell of alot better on my gear lol.

ps. guy above me, how do you like that blues jr?? can it be quiet enough for bedroom playing/ very dicrete practicing??

yeah there quiet enough for bedrrom playing, but loud enough for gigging.
used to have one, but got traded it in because i couldnt get good metal tones out of it(what a surprise, a BLUES junior doesnt have good metal tones!!!)
Quote by stratdud39
yeah there quiet enough for bedrrom playing, but loud enough for gigging.
used to have one, but got traded it in because i couldnt get good metal tones out of it(what a surprise, a BLUES junior doesnt have good metal tones!!!)

haha thanks.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
sell the spider III, get an Epiphone Valve Junior mini stack.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by gstacey1
see if u can sell it for just enough to get a micro cube trust me if u can do these ur tone will be so much better but still not half as good as tubes

not a micro cube D= microcube doesn't have EQ, it's better to save 50$ more and buy a Cube 20x
i have never heard much to nothing bad about the spyder III especially for the price....i have a fender stage 180 and i can't take it past two without a distortion pedal and with a pedal i can't get it past one.. the speaker it has with it don't take a lot of abuse....but i add 2 stacks onto that i tell you what for a 200$ used amp bought from a church musician that thing screams....wanting the mesa boogie.....if only i could save money....
get a amp dog they're related to sheep dogs but they're really good for hearding amps
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I was like that for a bit with my Fender Frontman 15G. I just played unamplified usually.

But now I have a Roland Cube 30X, which is awesome.

Sell your amp and try to pick up a used Vypyr 15 or Micro Cube.
Check ebay.
My guitarist got the spider 3 150 and it took us 10mins to dial in a good clean and good distortion tone, all amps and pedals need to be adjusted to create a tone you like. All that you need to do is just sit down and work on the settings, most of the time it's because there is a lack of mid range and too much low range so try that and don't crank your gain passed 8.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
When I started I had to use a Marshall ms-4 those tiny garbage 1 watt amps, i had no money to buy any other amp, where I live things are really really expensive, your little spider amp costs nearly 400 dollars here (yes the 15 watt version), around 8 months later i managed to buy a cheap multi effects pedal which i used as a headphone amp and it sounded heavenly compared to the Marshall ms-4, a couple of months back thankfully i got Guitar Rig , playing on the crappy Marshall thing helped me in a way I guess. But yeah I know how you feel, i felt like quitting loads of times, maybe you could sell it when you get some money and buy a Peavey vypyr it costs only 99 dollars i think.
EDIT: Damn it I've never had a proper amp.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Last edited by the_wayward_one at Nov 27, 2008,
The only real amps worth buying in that price bracket are Roland Cubes or Vox Valvetronixes.
I have one and I reckon they're fine for the price and for how I use it - bedroom practise. Just go with what everyone else said and play around with the settings, buy a new amp or just deal with it.
If you're playing bad, it'll show more on a better amp. Spider's are pretty forgiving in terms of hiding your mistakes in a sheath of digital distortion.
What guitar are you using?

what strings are you using and how old?

Have you changed the PUPS in your guitar?

Have you made any mods to guitar?

Is your guitar in tune??

Check out the Line 6 website forums were Line 6 engineers hangout.

Learn to use your Spider it should sound decent with distortion.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
i was under the impression that a spider is an amp? is it a guitar now too?
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Oh well, at least the Spider III is better than an Epiphone LP Special II (About $150 dollars, only had mine for 11 months, and it's falling apart) and an Epiphone Studio 10S amp ($20-30 dollars. Sounds terrible with distortion, cleans aren't too bad, though.)
No, the Spider is an amp.

If you know how to use it and the settings on it, you can get a good sound out of it, I'm sure that's what was meant.
im still getting the spyder 111 after reading this...i mean its not a tube amp so you can't expect godly sounds....
honestly, spiders arent that bad.... just take sometime and make some of your own settings for it. Im not saying there great but they get bashed to much. I have one and I use sometimes.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Seriously, if you want a good SS amp, get a Peavey Vypyr or a Roland Cube. Say what you want about Line 6, the Spider doesn't match up to those 2 amps.
im sure the spyder 3 goes louder then the cubes saying they are small as hell they wouldn't fill my room with enough noise.... i don't like to hear my pick when i play. and the cube probably all the way up sounds distorted with that one small speaker.....especially if you play that little thing outside your sound would escape you. maybe if to get a hihe up one but i see no use in getting any amp under 100 watts...
just save up money for a carvin X100B. they're awesome, full tube for ~600. plus they have a built in attenuator that goes from 100 wats to 25 watts.
Page 1 of 2