I read the stickie at the top of the thread about the different parts of a guitar (the one with a 10 commandments for guitar) and it said something about active pickups (Emgs I know) but what is it they do? also it said something about them having a 9 volt battery and I was wondering about that, sorry if I should have used the search bar, I'm a noob to any forum outside the pit and inside the pit
They have a higher output than passive pickups, and no hum. They're especially well-suited for heavier, distorted music like metal, and are best used with a high-gain tube amplifier.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Active pickups usually have more output from your guitar and are more responsive than passive (regular) pickups which is why they use a 9 volt battery.
Active pickup such as EMG's run off a 9 v batteries unlike regular pickups. leaving it plugged into aa patch cord when not in use will wear on the battery.active pickups have a specially tuned preamp. whereas passive pickups run off the power of your amp.
Spc. Alex A Colby 182 Sapper Co. ( Boston to Baghdad )
the batteries last forever pretty much, depending how long you play you'd probably only have to change them 2-3 times a year.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by jeremessmore
I play every day for at least 45 minutes, not a fan of buying a guitar and then having to buy batteries for it so yeah, but on the classic black in the musician's friends link they just look like ordinary humbuckers to me

45 minutes a day you'll have to change the battery like once a year.
i say go for it. buy a rechargeable 9v battery. hit ur local paintballl shop(academy) and buy spyder rechargeable or anything
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by devit
i say go for it. buy a rechargeable 9v battery. hit ur local paintballl shop(academy) and buy spyder rechargeable or anything

i know the guitar he's looking at doesn't have EMGs but they're still active none the less so here's a snippet from the emg faq;

We do not recommend the use of rechargeable batteries in EMG systems. Although they are compatible electrically, typically you must fully discharge these batteries to preserve long life, which can be problematic in normal usage.
sif changing batteries once or twice a year is any trouble compared to changing strings every month...

I think active pickups aren't as warm and dynamic as passives, but that's just my opinion, and I think what kinda genres you play will determine which of the two you will go for. Rhythm players commonly love the tight bottom end of emgs, but personally I don't like their scooped-mids tones. Tone is a very personal preference kinda thing though, so play them and i'm almost certain you'll notice the difference pretty quickly, as they tend to (imo) make you sound cleaner and tighter (due to their noiseless function), but this kinda encourages sloppier playing...maybe that's why EMG users often will completely dog out other pups and won't use anything else =P
The picture of the black one on Musicians Friend is of the cheaper VMNTX model. They messed up and put the wrong picture there. They do that sometimes. The VMNT1 models do have active pickups. A 9v battery for active pickups will last 10 to 12 months if you unplug your guitar when you're not playing. That's once a year and if you played alot more you'd still only have to change them no more than twice. What's that gonna cost $5 or $6. It's really not a big deal.
i love EMG`s, they sound f`ing AWESOME for thrash metal, they do kinda cover mistakes up though, since if you can hit the note 1/2 assed it will ring out LOL.

if you can put up with changing strings you can put up with replacing the battery every 6 months.

Oh and i found something out new today, i thought the only actives were EMG`s and Blackouts.
Quote by yenners
I think active pickups aren't as warm and dynamic as passives, but that's just my opinion, and I think what kinda genres you play will determine which of the two you will go for. Rhythm players commonly love the tight bottom end of emgs, but personally I don't like their scooped-mids tones. Tone is a very personal preference kinda thing though, so play them and i'm almost certain you'll notice the difference pretty quickly, as they tend to (imo) make you sound cleaner and tighter (due to their noiseless function), but this kinda encourages sloppier playing...maybe that's why EMG users often will completely dog out other pups and won't use anything else =P

Ummm...no. Just no.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i have emgs in my schecter c1, blackouts in alexi 600 and ec1000
i also have passives in my remaining guitars.

The EMGs are quite metal orientated, as are the blackouts, but the passives are used as much aswell...i use them about the same as actives.

Thru a Solidstate amp...the actives sound like dog turd, but actives+tube amps are sweet

passives work good on SS amps.. so
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
the "=P" was meant to indicate a bit of tongue in cheek on my part in making such a strong comment, don't take it too seriously. As we know, alot of pros play these pickups too and appreciate the way they articulate notes well and their noiselessness, because in a live performance that makes for a more reliable show.

I'm just made the remark to poke a bit of fun, but also to point out that for beginners they may actually result in the learner not having as clean a technique in the end because of that awesome (and as i'm trying to explain, potentially not-so-awesome) feature of the EMGs. I believe some guitarists call this 'false economy', but i'm not an expert on the terms.

I have a guitar with Blackouts, and another guitar with EMG 81/85, and another guitar with SD Invaders, so my comments are valid. Ultimately, I say play whatever makes u happy and keeps u playing.
Quote by yenners
I'm just made the remark to poke a bit of fun, but also to point out that for beginners they may actually result in the learner not having as clean a technique in the end because of that awesome (and as i'm trying to explain, potentially not-so-awesome) feature of the EMGs. I believe some guitarists call this 'false economy', but i'm not an expert on the terms.

I'm trying to say you're wrong. EMGs don't clean up your playing at all, in fact their being so articulate means a learned would probably develop quite good technique as they can hear the flaws in their playing much better. On the other hand they tend to compress the sound a bit so they may lead to a weak picking hand so I guess in a way you're right...bah, hoist on my own petard.

I'll get you yet Eh, Steve!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mikeyElite
45 minutes a day you'll have to change the battery like once a year.

No.

They have a life of 3000 hours, so for 45 mins/day you have theoretically about 11 years of life.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm trying to say you're wrong. EMGs don't clean up your playing at all, in fact their being so articulate means a learned would probably develop quite good technique as they can hear the flaws in their playing much better. On the other hand they tend to compress the sound a bit so they may lead to a weak picking hand so I guess in a way you're right...bah, hoist on my own petard.

I'll get you yet Eh, Steve!

you right the cleaner it is the easier flaws will be heard...kinda makes since if you use that thing called reason....emgs are harder for a begginer to play because it will pick up anything like your finger barely touching a a string when playing chords this will be heard you get something like a fender and put it under distortion i bet there isn't that big of a difference wait i don't bet i know...also about the picking hand i can understand that uselly ppl don't have much problems with there picking hand though..unless your talking about sweeping or insanely fast double picking across the strings.....
Quote by alexxxislove
Active pickup such as EMG's run off a 9 v batteries unlike regular pickups. leaving it plugged into aa patch cord when not in use will wear on the battery.active pickups have a specially tuned preamp. whereas passive pickups run off the power of your amp.

No, passive pickups have a higher impedance (and therefore output) and therefore don't need a preamp before the jack. PASSIVE PICKUPS ARE LITERALLY MINIATURE POWER PLANTS.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
xphyrigidnx - I was talking about common emgs like 81/85 compared to other high output passive pickups, and you're using what u claim is 'that thing called reason' to compare an active humbucker to "something like a fender" single coil??? using chords under distortion?

You quoted a guy who said "EMGs don't clean up your playing at all", then went on to say "you['re] right the cleaner it is the easier flaws will be heard" and then just went on to make a poor comparison whilst making a number of spelling mistakes..Also, use the enter bar, it makes for an easier read.

I stand by everything i've said on page one re:emgs. Since i regularly play a guitar with blackouts in it, a guitar with emg 81/85 in it, and a guitar with sd invaders in it (almost all daily), that's what I observed from my experience so far.