If I buy an Xbox 360 premium, does it come with everything I need to connect it to the internet, (except live membership ofc) like cables + modems or whatever?

Also, how long do you think it will be before there is a new generation of consoles which supercede this generation?
I comes with an Ethernet cable (a short one I think) and a built in modem with no wireless though.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
yes and prob like 2 or 3 years + for microsoft and 4+ years for sony nd nintendo
The modem is supplied by your ISP, not Microsoft. It comes with an ethernet cable and a gigabit ethernet card, I believe. Doesn't have integrated wireless, you need to buy one separately.

Edit:
Quote by X\Chazza/X
Well I have a modem I can connect it to (obviously if I'm on the internet now) but would connecting the cable it comes with all I'd need to do?

If your current connection is modem to computer by ethernet, and you want to be connected to the 360 and your computer at the same time, you're going to need a router, so: modem to router input by ethernet. Ethernet out 1 to computer (or wireless if you're on a laptop, in that case, wireless router), ethernet 2 to 360.
Last edited by acersucks at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by ravioli123
I comes with an Ethernet cable (a short one I think) and a built in modem with no wireless though.

Are you serious? It doesn't come with a modem, it's got an Ethernet port in the back of the x-box but thats not even close to the same thing as a modem.

I took two years of networking at a tech school, trust me I know.

But to answer you're question you need:

A) an active DSL or Cable internet connection at you're place of residence.
B) A modem or router.
C) and ethernet cord
D) credit/debit card

I'm not sure if it comes with a trial or not, even if it does you still have to have a credit or debit card.
Quote by X\Chazza/X
Well I have a modem I can connect it to (obviously if I'm on the internet now) but would connecting the cable it comes with all I'd need to do?

yes
Quote by yo_peh
i love you!
have cookie

Quote by RocksAwakening5
^^^ So much win, omg.
Quote by silversoulcage
Are you serious? It doesn't come with a modem, it's got an Ethernet port in the back of the x-box but thats not even close to the same thing as a modem.

Sorry, I'm really tired, thats what I meant lol The network card
Thought the guy wanted to know whether or not the Ethernet was built in
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Quote by ravioli123
Sorry, I'm really tired, thats what I meant lol The network card

haha It's all good, for a second I was like wow are you serious, this kid must be blind or something.
Quote by silversoulcage
haha It's all good, for a second I was like wow are you serious, this kid must be blind or something.

What kind of stuff did you learn at this tech school?
You have to buy the wireless thingy for like $90 if you want to do wireless.

Buy a wii, bro! I can just play for like an hour then go skate or play guitar, instead of sitting at home playing halo with 9 year olds on xbox live all day.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by X\Chazza/X
I have a wireless router which is also wired up to a computer on my desk. It has spare ethernet cable ports so I could probably use one of those. And yeah I think you can get a month's free trial.

TY

You may or may not have to forward or open some ports for your 360, depending on your wireless router. If you get NAT errors from Live, this is probably your problem.

Edit:
Quote by Aaron0612
You have to buy the wireless thingy for like $90 if you want to do wireless.

Buy a wii, bro! I can just play for like an hour then go skate or play guitar, instead of sitting at home playing halo with 9 year olds on xbox live all day.

Just because you have a 360, doesn't mean you'll become addicted to it; I've seen kids who'll die for their wii's. Addiction is platform-independent.
Quote by acersucks
What kind of stuff did you learn at this tech school?

Alot of random ****, programming, wiring, electronics, soldering, setting up intranets, etc.

Why do you ask?
Quote by silversoulcage
Alot of random ****, programming, wiring, electronics, soldering, setting up intranets, etc.

Why do you ask?

Curiosity. I'm a programmer myself; what languages did you learn?

Plus, I've always thought about teaching myself about unix server administration if I ever get the time. Are the lessons OS-independent, or do you guys stick to 1 in general?
Quote by acersucks
Curiosity. I'm a programmer myself; what languages did you learn?

Plus, I've always thought about teaching myself about unix server administration if I ever get the time. Are the lessons OS-independent, or do you guys stick to 1 in general?

VB, Q-Basic, and a little bit of C, programming is not my strong point, I was good VB, but it's pretty easy.

We basically used Windows all the time, I'm a fan of Lenix, sometimes lol. I never did much with servers or anything, people in the class, mainly the second years got to pick things to do and the teacher would help us out with it, it was really cool but it was back in high school.
Quote by silversoulcage
VB, Q-Basic, and a little bit of C, programming is not my strong point, I was good VB, but it's pretty easy.

We basically used Windows all the time, I'm a fan of Lenix, sometimes lol. I never did much with servers or anything, people in the class, mainly the second years got to pick things to do and the teacher would help us out with it, it was really cool but it was back in high school.

That's cool. And do you mean 'Linux'? or is 'Lenix' a linux distro?
Quote by acersucks
That's cool. And do you mean 'Linux'? or is 'Lenix' a linux distro?

Linux, misspell, sorry.
Unless you wanna pay out of the ass for wireless then your gonna need an ethernet cable
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
if you wanna do it wirelessly, then you'll need a router for your pc, and a wireless adapter for your xbox.

Assuming you're not gonna play your xbox in the same room as your computer.

If you are then you should be able to hook the ethernet to your modem, and get it going

also:

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox/xboxlive/default.aspx
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by silversoulcage
Linux, misspell, sorry.

No problem, and I was think of 'LinEx'.