I just got a used Fender HRdeluxe and it seems to be making a rattling sound. it sounds like a spring rattling around, so first thought was the reverb hitting the tank... that didnt make a whole lot of sense. Second thought is that its the tubes getting ready to go, which i seem to recall reading would cause this. It seemed to only be audible when hitting the D and G string together at most points on the next, especially Dflat and B. Hitting B along on the G string seemed to make it make the noise apparent too. I got the amp for 320, so am ok with replacing the tubes off the bat, but would be worried if there is more to it. I dont think it was just hitting resonate frequency in the room and something in the room rattled because i walked to and away from the amp and it definitely seemed to be coming from the amp. I heard it on all 3 channels. Changing knobs didnt seem to make an effect, except for volume.

Otherwise, it sounds perfectly ok.
It's a common problem with the HRD. It's the tubes rattling inside the chassis. Why they designed it like that I have no clue.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i had the exact same problem once and replaced the preamp tubes, it got rid of it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Do you still have the foam piece in there around the preamp tubes?

Maybe older versions didn't have it, or maybe the previous owner mistakenly removed it.

That saves it
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
i dont have the amp with me right now, but what kind of foam should i use? will anything work, or does it need to be something special; material or shape wise (ie, do i need to cut out a solid block of foam to fit around the top of the tubes?)
Quote by Dan_M_G
i dont have the amp with me right now, but what kind of foam should i use? will anything work, or does it need to be something special; material or shape wise (ie, do i need to cut out a solid block of foam to fit around the top of the tubes?)

it needs to be a special type of foam or else it will most def. catch on fire.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Not sure, but it needs to be something heat resistant since regular foam will probably melt.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
My Hot Rod has foam around the tubes. Should I remove it?

No. The grey foam is there to prevent high frequency oscillations and microphonics caused by speaker vibration. It's there to stabilize the tube, and was added shortly after Mexico started manufacturing HRDs in the Summer of 2002. The foam is also a fireproof material and leaving it in will not cause any damage to your HRD. In fact, removing it is probably a bad idea as I've heard someone report "ringing sounds" after they removed their foam. So leave yours in!

This is just what I was going on

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!