I've got a guitar that had 0.009-0.042 gauge strings, and I increased them to 0.011-0.048 without a truss rod adjustment, and nothing bad happened. About a year later, I increased it even further to 0.013-0.054 gauge, no truss rod adjustment, nothing bad happened. I checked the numbers from the manufacturer, and from 0.009 to 0.013, the change in total tension on the neck works out to be more than 100% more.

So, is my guitar abnormally sturdy, or can most put up with gauge changes without adjustment?
i go from extra light gauge to light guage or any other for that matter with out much of a problem, but my innotaion is probally off...
Your neck probably is a little more curved than normal, but unless it's affecting anything I'd just leave it alone. If you have a vibrato you'll need to adjust the spring tension and raise the action a fraction.
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
Your neck probably is a little more curved than normal, but unless it's affecting anything I'd just leave it alone. If you have a vibrato you'll need to adjust the spring tension and raise the action a fraction.

Oh yeah, I've done that. I've added a spring to the vibrato, and I've corrected the intonation. No buzz either, it works just as it should. I was just wondering if it's typical of an instrument to be able to handle such an increase, because I hear so many people saying it's a bad idea.