Page 1 of 2
i hate it. we just had to boot our lead singer (im the band leader, lead guitarist/bass, depending on which song.)

the bands first incarnation had me on bass and him singing, our original rhythm guitarist got booted (hes good friends with lead singer + me) because we had anotehr rythym guitarist who was better. singer really jsut sat about at practice, and would add lyrics only if we forced him (im the lyricist as well, he refused to write anything and im not bad at writing)

fast forward 2 months, our rhythm guitarist moved, drummer moved, and we fired lead guitarist cuz hes obsessed with booze and drugs (booze is fine, but no drugs).

so i got the other rythym guitarist back, went to lead, found a new drummer (hopefully), no replacement bassist so far....

then our singer gets cold feet (im betting its cuz his new gf is telling him bands are gay). the rythym guitarist (travis), tells him, come to practice or ur out. he says, sure, ill be there.

day of practice, travis calls asks if hes cominng, he says, no, dads out, me and rachel (gf) have a free hosue. then travis says ur fired at the same time he says i quit.

couple days later, hes pissed at me because he thinks my mom told rachels mom taht they were ****ing, when my mom doesnt know who the **** rachel is (she does know theyre ****ing though). so we dont talk anymore when we were good friends.

hes a great signer and great guy, but hes a little arrogant prick as well who likes ****ing around with chicks heads using psychology and **** (hes done it with me a few times too). he only joined the band in the first place because travis (who is like his best friend) asked him too. now we have no singer.

are there any lead singers that are charismatic that dont become total dictators? im covering for vocals rite now because im decent but i really want a seperate singer.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
eh. its good advice, the new drummer ive never met before really, and im gonna try to do something similar for new singer and bassist. me and travis are really tight though, great attitude towards everytrhing. this guys just got me really pissed right now. first, he blames me cuz he cant bang his chick anymore when i have nothing to do with it, and hes a total asshole to the band, which he was never really devoted to like the rest. he sorta wasted our time.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Please learn to type, spell and punctuate.
Also, someone has to take the lead of the band's direction. If the vocals are a standout point, then this will most likely be the singer. Tough tits, you can't do anything about it. If they start becoming a control freak, then make your problems known to them, this applies to any band member, but generally one person will be at the head of the band but if they're good at it, they will take everyone's opinions into account.
It doesn't achieve anything coming on here and slagging him off though.
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
Please learn to type, spell and punctuate.
Also, someone has to take the lead of the band's direction. If the vocals are a standout point, then this will most likely be the singer. Tough tits, you can't do anything about it. If they start becoming a control freak, then make your problems known to them, this applies to any band member, but generally one person will be at the head of the band.
It doesn't achieve anything coming on here and slagging him off though.

lol sorry, im normally a stickler for english and hate using internet speak, etc, but im a little drunk right now and feeling like shti. i understand what you're saying, but thats kind of bothersome to me. if only bands were a completely democratic process.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
lol sorry, im normally a stickler for english and hate using internet speak, etc, but im a little drunk right now and feeling like shti. i understand what you're saying, but thats kind of bothersome to me. if only bands were a completely democratic process.

Yeah, eventually you have to accept that that's very difficult to achieve, the hierarchy normally goes in the order of whoever has the most musical and beneficial input into the band.
In my band's case the order goes: from myself, to the drummer then to the rest, as we're more of an instrumentally-focused band. If you're the main songwriter then you should be able to claim a fair bit of control, just don't go Axl Rose on the band.
It's not even important to have a leader or similar, it's just for the purposes of image mostly.
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Nov 26, 2008,
i love gnr, but i would NEVER do that to fellow friends, etc... its a douche thing to do.

yeah, i write half the guitar riffs, do the solos, write lyrics, and have input on bass because im a bassist. so i guess i do have quite a bit of power, but there was something with everyone that they thought they needed to listen to the singer because he WAS the singer. he's also a fairly charismatic guy.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Lead singers are a special breed. The less they know how to do besides sing (like write lyrics or play guitar) the more they think they are bigger than the band. I don't have any real advice here other than take your time. Maybe spend time singing the songs yourself and concentrating on writing new material. If you're lucky you'll find the right person to sing along the way.

And don't just look for friends. The best friends can make the worst bandmates.
Well singers get LSD usually when the band is actually FAMOUS not now if hes this bad now just wait till you actually make alot of money!
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
booze is fine, but no drugs.

Point of order.
Booze is drugs, it contains an extremely powerful and addictive drug called alcohol.

As for the band, either do the vocals yourself or find a new singer, it's as easy as that.
Not all singers are as bad as the one you've had experience with.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Nov 27, 2008,
Booze and drugs both rule.. C'mon. .Rock'n'roll not that lamearse U2 thingy..

Anyway.. I think your singer was a prick.. to be honest, any guy that is not ALLOWED to have sex with his own frickin' girlfriend, is most likely too immature for anything..

But to the point. Yes, of course there are singers who has presence and great vocals, who are nice personalities. But it often depends on where you look.. Rock often has those pricks, as far as i've noticed, where the old school metal scene usually has nice guys, since, well. Metal is one big family, who share the same values (most of the time), so why be a prick? <.< Try looking around in the more classical metal envoirement (presuming you want a clean vocalist) - try finding another Eric Adams, cause damn.. that guy is has the voice of an ancient Wargod. So has Dio btw.

I suppose thats my answer - i have no clue if it's any good, but meh.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Northernmight

Anyway.. I think your singer was a prick.. to be honest, any guy that is not ALLOWED to have sex with his own frickin' girlfriend, is most likely too immature for anything..

This is simple, and I'm going to agree. The kid is cocky because he's... well he's a kid. If you want a good bandmate around the same age, go looking for a singer who is mature beyond his/her years.
thanks for the support guys, i'm feeling less pissed off right now. i just need to do a little bit of soul searching I guess. Until then I can cover the songs. and to the booze and drugs point, yeah i know alcohol is a drug. My point was that its not something as easy to get addicted to. Like you do coke a few times, and you're ****ed, but you can go to a party or a gig, drink a beer or two, and be fine. a few shots won't kill you. It's when alcohol becomes the point of your life and you need a double shot of vodka by your beside just to function in the morning when you need help.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
My point was that its not something as easy to get addicted to. Like you do coke a few times, and you're ****ed, but you can go to a party or a gig, drink a beer or two, and be fine.

Damn, I need to call some people I know and inform them that they're ****ed.

I do genuinely hate making posts revolving around drugs when the topic isn't really about them, but I find myself compelled.

From: http://www.drugrehabtreatment.com/most-addictive-drugs.html
Despite the difficulty in determining which drugs are the most addictive, Dr. Jack E. Henningfield of the National Institute on Drug Abuse and Dr. Neal L. Benowitz of the University of California at San Francisco attempted to define the most addictive drugs by ranking six psychoactive substances on the five criteria they found most applicable to addiction:

Withdrawal - The severity of withdrawal symptoms produced by stopping the use of the drug.
Reinforcement - The drug's tendency to induce users to take it over and over again.
Tolerance - The user's need to have ever-increasing doses of the drug to get the same effect.
Dependence - The difficulty in quitting, or staying off the drug, usually measured by the number of users who eventually become dependent.
Intoxication - The degree of intoxication produced by the drug in typical use.
Based on the level of dependence, the most common measure for determining the addictiveness of a drug, the substances ranked as follows, from most to least addictive:

1- Nicotine
2- Heroin
3- Cocaine
4- Alcohol
5- Caffeine
6- Marijuana

Here's another set of rankings:
http://www.tfy.drugsense.org/tfy/addictvn.htm

From Erowid:
"To rank today's commonly used drugs by their addictiveness, we asked
experts to consider two questions: How easy is it to get hooked on
these substances and how hard is it to stop using them? Although a
person's vulnerability to drug also depends on individual traits --
physiology, psychology, and social and economic pressures -- these
rankings reflect only the addictive potential inherent in the drug.
The numbers below are relative rankings, based on the experts' scores
for each substance:

Nicotine 100
Ice, Glass (Methamphetamine smoked) 99
Crack 98
Crystal Meth (Methamphetamine injected) 93
Valium (Diazepam) 85
Quaalude (Methaqualone) 83
Seconal (Secobarbital) 82
Alcohol 81
Heroin 80
Crank (Amphetamine taken nasally) 78
Cocaine 72
Caffeine 68
PCP (Phencyclidine) 57
Marijuana 21
Ecstasy (MDMA) 20
Psilocybin Mushrooms 18
LSD 18
Mescaline 18

[Research by John Hastings]

[From: _In Health_, Nov/Dec 1990; eye-balling by Harel Barzilai;
relative rankings are definite, numbers given are (+/-)1%]

What was I meant to be talking about? LSD? Well, covered.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
LSD is at the bottom lol, but im pretty sure that in comparison to one hit of LSD and one of coke, the LSD would **** you up more.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
LSD is at the bottom lol, but im pretty sure that in comparison to one hit of LSD and one of coke, the LSD would **** you up more.

Given that acid is notriously non-addictive, it's not really surprising that it's at the bottom when ranked by addictive potential, is it?

What makes you 'pretty sure' about what you said, by the way? Is it the vague accumulation of half-remembered anecdotes, warnings, ubran myths, playground babble and rumour? Am I close?

If you want to know about LSD and Cocaine, go do them.

I jest, you could just follow these links:
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/cocaine/cocaine.shtml
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd.shtml

Seriously, though, consider acid. Read that first, obviously. But consider it.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

lol and i thought you were half serious about that for a moment.....

no, I didn't mean by addictive potential, I meant by how much they **** you up mentally and physically. I think acid is worse than coke that way.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Acid is more of a mind **** than coke.

Coke just pumps you up.

Also, why the **** is alcohol so high on the list?

I guess it's because it's legal?..

Also (again).. green is fantasticly more addictive than that list seems to think.
Last edited by willieturnip at Nov 27, 2008,
weed isnt a physical addiction like the rest of them, u just THINK you need it lol. which, if ur weak minded, is just as bad
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Maybe it's because it's just so god damn enjoyable .

I'm not weak minded though..I can smoke 20 cigarettes in 5 seconds (metaphorically..) and not even be slightly addicted ..
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
weed isnt a physical addiction like the rest of them, u just THINK you need it lol. which, if ur weak minded, is just as bad

A small number of people do demonstrate a physical addiction to marijuana. Regardless, all mental processes have their roots in the physical. That said, marijuana demonstrate a lower addiction potential than most drugs.

I can smoke 20 cigarettes in 5 seconds (metaphorically..) and not even be slightly addicted

How is that a metaphor?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
A small number of people do demonstrate a physical addiction to marijuana. Regardless, all mental processes have their roots in the physical. That said, marijuana demonstrate a lower addiction potential than most drugs.

hmmm.... I'd think that most physical addictions have their roots in the mental. but whatever, you probably know more about drugs than me
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
hmmm.... I'd think that most physical addictions have their roots in the mental. but whatever, you probably know more about drugs than me

It's not a drug issue, it's a neurological one. The mind is an emergent property of brain activity. All thought has it's origin in a physical process.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
lol and i thought you were half serious about that for a moment.....

no, I didn't mean by addictive potential, I meant by how much they **** you up mentally and physically. I think acid is worse than coke that way.

Well, it's good to know you have an opinion on the matter, but seriously, go read about the subject. I'm not on my own computer, so I don't have the link to hand to prove it to you, but did you know that out of a study of thousands of LSD users, only around 4% said their experience with the drug was more negative than positive? What % of people who've used coke do you think would say their coke experiences were more negative than positive?

I was serious, by the way - if you think you can handle acid, try it.

Quote by willieturnip
Also, why the **** is alcohol so high on the list?

I guess it's because it's legal?..

Why is Alcohol so high on a list of addictive drugs?

...because it's a highly addictive drug when compared to other drugs?

Quote by Shadow_Hawk

Well, unless you believe in some form of dualism (that you have a soul etc.), then strictly everything is physical. I don't believe in dualism, but I still use the phrases 'physically addictive' and 'mentally addictive' because they're very convienient.

Drugs like Heroin Nictoine and Alcohol, for example, produce (varyingly) extreme withdrawal symptoms and so (for this and other reasons) generally get referred to as 'physically addictive'.

Drugs like LSD, MDMA (ecstasy) and Magic Mushrooms, on the other hand, produce few to no similar withdrawal symptoms and so (again, for this and other reasons) generally get referred to as 'mentally addictive' - if they get referred to as addictive at all.

Your coffee is physically addictive, the gameshows you watch while you slurp it are mentally addictive.
Quote by Ed O'Brien

Aiiee. I'm trying to remain straight edge, I'm only 14. I could do without all this persuasion to do acid
Honestly, those little "Frank" books at school are BS. They actually OPENED MY EYES to the fact that LSD really isn't as bad as it could be.
Not gonna take any though. Ruin my social life it will, because most of my friends are pathetic about stuff like that, and the only people who would even consider that LSD might not be so bad are stupid delinquents, at least the ones I know. I think I'll lay off for now.

Lead singers are wankers. It's alright to make a band out of friends as long as the singer isn't one of those friends. For some reason, everybody else gets along fine.
Lead singers can't stand the spotlight being nicked from them. That's why Slash can't seem to find one who'll stick with him
www.erowid.com has the most extensive and impartial advice I've found on the net so far. Try that - if you're 14 you probably should wait few years before you start on the softer drugs and quite a few until you consider something like LSD, so you've got a good long while to read up on them so you know what they're like if you decide to try them.
Quote by Ed O'Brien

Quote by Rock Pig
Aiiee. I'm trying to remain straight edge, I'm only 14. I could do without all this persuasion to do acid
Honestly, those little "Frank" books at school are BS. They actually OPENED MY EYES to the fact that LSD really isn't as bad as it could be.
Not gonna take any though. Ruin my social life it will, because most of my friends are pathetic about stuff like that, and the only people who would even consider that LSD might not be so bad are stupid delinquents, at least the ones I know. I think I'll lay off for now.

Lead singers are wankers. It's alright to make a band out of friends as long as the singer isn't one of those friends. For some reason, everybody else gets along fine.
Lead singers can't stand the spotlight being nicked from them. That's why Slash can't seem to find one who'll stick with him

lol i used to think slash was in the right, (hes the main reason i started to play guitar), but now I'm not so sure. he's lost TWO singers. axl was undoubtedly a douche when he made everyone sign over the gnr name to him, but Slash definetely had some contribution to everything.

and scott weiland? hes a good singer, i like VR and STP, but hes gay. I only need to watch slither music video for proof.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
and scott weiland? hes a good singer, i like VR and STP, but hes gay. I only need to watch slither music video for proof.

Are you serious?
Quote by Ed O'Brien

well its kinda gay... with the tight silver-gold pants, and his typical weiland dance. hes a great frontman, but taht doesnt change that he's acting kinda gay.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I don't think you understood me. Why are you even mentioning that as if it's a bad thing?
Quote by Ed O'Brien

eh. I dont know. I'm not a homophobe or anything, I'm just ardently pro hetero sexual. He's still a good friend frontman.

on a side note, its funny how this thread went off from LSD the disease to LSD the drug lol.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
eh. I dont know. I'm not a homophobe or anything, I'm just ardently pro hetero sexual. He's still a good friend frontman.

on a side note, its funny how this thread went off from LSD the disease to LSD the drug lol.

LSD is immaculate

Now listen
This guy is a prick... His girlfriend is a bitch for not supporting his need to be musical, and he's obviously not doing much. Find a bassist who can sing. or... Find another guitarist, and you sing and play bass. It's not that hard to sing, I suck at it, but I do it anyways. I personally think the concept of having a lead singer just doesn't work these days, they get too cocky. Fire him.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
i hate it. we just had to boot our lead singer (im the band leader, lead guitarist/bass, depending on which song.)

the bands first incarnation had me on bass and him singing, our original rhythm guitarist got booted (hes good friends with lead singer + me) because we had anotehr rythym guitarist who was better. singer really jsut sat about at practice, and would add lyrics only if we forced him (im the lyricist as well, he refused to write anything and im not bad at writing)

fast forward 2 months, our rhythm guitarist moved, drummer moved, and we fired lead guitarist cuz hes obsessed with booze and drugs (booze is fine, but no drugs).
I almost stoped reading here because you're obviously an immature twat. I would rather a stoner than an alcoholic in my band. Stoners are less violent, not physically addicted to their vice (no chance of them stealing stuff for weed) and can be quite clear headed if they're vape users or sativa users.

Unless your bandmate is a dangerous crack or meth addict (this is more of a safety thing, they're a damn dangerous breed) there is nothing wrong with drug use. Even heroin addicts are fine, as long as they don't steal stuff and can play fine high.

Stop being a pussy and stop kicking players for non-musical reasons.

LSD? Possibly, but it's perfectly warranted. When people go to see a band, you think they're going for your pussy riffs? You think they're going so as to hear your "face melting" solo's? No. They're going to see a singer. You're only there to make the singer sound better, not the other way around.

You want a singer that's not going to overpower you? Hey, lets face it, this is about YOU not being in total control. Learn to sing, it's really not that hard if you write easy melodies within your range
Only 1 in 500 report withdrawal symptoms (statistic found somewhere on totse or erowid). These are normally the people that start when they're under 16.
Quote by demonofthenight
I almost stoped reading here because you're obviously an immature twat. I would rather a stoner than an alcoholic in my band. Stoners are less violent, not physically addicted to their vice (no chance of them stealing stuff for weed) and can be quite clear headed if they're vape users or sativa users.

Unless your bandmate is a dangerous crack or meth addict (this is more of a safety thing, they're a damn dangerous breed) there is nothing wrong with drug use. Even heroin addicts are fine, as long as they don't steal stuff and can play fine high.

Stop being a pussy and stop kicking players for non-musical reasons.

I think that when you start skipping 3/4 of all practices we set up weeks in advance to go get high, then there's a problem. I don't have a problem with weed or alcohol as long as it doesn't interfere with the band, I do both, but once it does get in the way, it either needs to go, they need to calm it down, or they can leave. In the end all types of substance use, alcohol or drugs, can affect the band, both physically on stage with their playing, or mentally how they work together. And not all alcoholics get violent, while I'm fairly certain (although have no experience with this) that hard drug users will start to steal **** to support their habits and get violent when you tell them to quit.

And yes, people listen to the song for the vocals and lyrics, that is very true, but it doesn't mean that lead singers have the right to become douche's to their bandmates because they are more important.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
And not all alcoholics get violent, while I'm fairly certain (although have no experience with this) that hard drug users will start to steal **** to support their habits and get violent when you tell them to quit.

Please, go and read about drugs a litte - www.erowid.com or something.
At the moment, you're flailing around in the dark, half-hitting the mark sometimes.
If by 'hard drugs' you mean the likes of heroin (coke/meth), then yes, you're right - I read an estimate a while ago that reckoned that each heroin addict (in the UK) costs the country about £45,000 a year in theiving, potential police time etc...
Quote by Ed O'Brien

Quote by Damascus
Please, go and read about drugs a litte - www.erowid.com or something.
At the moment, you're flailing around in the dark, half-hitting the mark sometimes.
If by 'hard drugs' you mean the likes of heroin (coke/meth), then yes, you're right - I read an estimate a while ago that reckoned that each heroin addict (in the UK) costs the country about £45,000 a year in theiving, potential police time etc...

yeah that exactly what I meant by hard drugs. And I'll follow that link, I have a lot of preconcieved ideas about drugs, most of them arent true probably, but the seriouso nes probably are.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The best advice I can give you is to start filming it all and sell the idea to MTV as a reality show/teen-angst soap opera.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Page 1 of 2