So i have been listening to and reading about the differences between the classic JCM 800 and the kerry king edition. They both sound great.

My hypothesis is that you could get about the same tone in the 800 with an overdrive pedal and wide band eq? Isn't that what kerry did for all those years?

I know the KK edition uses kt88s, but how much difference is that making?

I have also noticed that the KK head is priced a bit cheaper than the 800...
Guitars
Amps
Last edited by Matt15f at Nov 26, 2008,
Massive difference with the KT88's - they are quite a bit more powerful sounding.

Standard 800 uses EL34's - even to look at, the KT88 is a lot larger than the EL34.

You could get VERY close to a Slayer tone with a standard 800 and a boost w/eq.

If is just the Slayer/thrash tone you want, the KK signature is probably the better option, and it seems to be a great amp - one of the few current production Marshall's i'd buy!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
The Kerry King is an 800 as well, it's not a JCM900KK.

Could you get the same tone with the standard 2203? You could probably get something close enough.

The 2203 is more expensive than the 2203KK because it's a Reissue.

The Kerry King edition has it's advantages though. That beast button is like engaging a wideband EQ with a noise gate. You can get br00talz tones with ease.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Do you think the KK marshall with the KK section turned down would achieve tone similar to the 800 naturally?

They way they are marketing it is that it is basically an old jcm with KK enhancehments.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The Kerry King is an 800 as well, it's not a JCM900KK.

Good correction, thanks.
Guitars
Amps
maybe...
Isn't it a one channel amp ? I forget... All I'm saying is, If you are going to pay that much for a JCM800, why don't you just get a splawn quickrod?
Quote by Matt15f
Do you think the KK marshall with the KK section turned down would achieve tone similar to the 800 naturally?

No.

You'd definately be better using a standard JCM800 to get the Slayer thrash sound, as you'll get close.

I doubt the KK signature would do the natural 800 tone that well, as there's quite a few mods.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Isn't the JCM900 looked down by tone purists because it uses a diode to clip the signal, ie not natural tube distortion? I would go with the JCM800 and an overdrive pedal
sounds like I should pick up an 800, as there are other tones I would like to do with it than just old school thrash. I will definitely pick up an od and eq to get close to the slayer sound though.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
sounds like I should pick up an 800, as there are other tones I would like to do with it than just old school thrash. I will definitely pick up an od and eq to get close to the slayer sound though.

How much are you willing to spend?
Quote by Highwaytohell
How much are you willing to spend?

An 800 plus a pedal will probably do me fine for now. Why do you ask?
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
An 800 plus a pedal will probably do me fine for now. Why do you ask?

Because JCM800s new are meh... The 80s ones are alot better and they go for about 1 grand used.

And also, the clones are a lot more useful than buying a reissue as they are cheaper and/or more versatile.

As Al suggested, either a Ceriatone 2203 clone, or as I suggested earlier, a Splawn quickrod. These Splawns are hot-rodded JCM800 clones basically, and they go for the same price as a new JCM800 head, are custom built, and have very high-quality components. If you want a more stock sound, than the Ceriatone clone will do you fine for cheaper.
Quote by Highwaytohell
maybe...
Isn't it a one channel amp ? I forget... All I'm saying is, If you are going to pay that much for a JCM800, why don't you just get a splawn quickrod?

it's technically a one channel amp, but you can get a mild crunch and then throw on the "beast" switch and start to melt faces. i didn't like it too much because the noise gate didn't cut out all of the background noise, but the distortion was pretty solid.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Quote by Highwaytohell
Because JCM800s new are meh... The 80s ones are alot better and they go for about 1 grand used.

And also, the clones are a lot more useful than buying a reissue as they are cheaper and/or more versatile.

As Al suggested, either a Ceriatone 2203 clone, or as I suggested earlier, a Splawn quickrod. These Splawns are hot-rodded JCM800 clones basically, and they go for the same price as a new JCM800 head, are custom built, and have very high-quality components. If you want a more stock sound, than the Ceriatone clone will do you fine for cheaper.

So a jcm800 is now not useful unless it was made in the 80s??? I am a little lost. I thought the whole idea of the jcm800 was an older school type sound.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
So a jcm800 is now not useful unless it was made in the 80s??? I am a little lost. I thought the whole idea of the jcm800 was an older school type sound.

No you see, the new ones are reissues, they will get close to the original, but not exactly the same sound as one from the 80s. What i'm saying is, the new ones are overpriced, and you could buy a vintage one or a high end clone for a lower price or one of similar quality. Comprendo?
Quote by Highwaytohell
No you see, the new ones are reissues, they will get close to the original, but not exactly the same sound as one from the 80s. What i'm saying is, the new ones are overpriced, and you could buy a vintage one or a high end clone for a lower price or one of similar quality. Comprendo?

ok, and the high end clones are the brand you mentioned eariler?
Guitars
Amps
kt88 make it loud, deffinantly not for home use
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
if your looking into splawns look into the competition. its the single channel version of the quickrod so its like the early 80's jcm's

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by sirlimecat
kt88 make it loud, deffinantly not for home use
Maybe not your home
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
If you want kerry's tone. just get a 1981-83 jcm800, basically the 800's that they made with the drake trannies . throw in some kt88 power tubes & a mxr ten band eq, have a guitar with emg's 81 & 85. there u go kerrys tone. the new 800's are horrible, they dont even sound like 800's.
Quote by Devilman2020
If you want kerry's tone. just get a 1981-83 jcm800, basically the 800's that they made with the drake trannies . throw in some kt88 power tubes & a mxr ten band eq, have a guitar with emg's 81 & 85. there u go kerrys tone. the new 800's are horrible, they dont even sound like 800's.

Or you could just get the Kerry King head, which in the end will not be that much different to what this guy thinks.
the kk jcm800 sounds like a hot rodded reissue, & the reissues dont sound like jcm800's. plus buying the original 800 will cost u like 1000, then the mxr ten band eq is 120, tubes will cost 70- 100, thats wat 1200. you really wanna spend 2000 on the kk jcm 800 or the reissue jcm800, wen you can get the real deal for 1200.
You have to pay for a guy to put the valves in.
You'd be lucky to get an 800 for 1000.
Plus if you buy a KK you'd have a warranty of sorts with it, but what happened if you get ripped off with some ****ty old 800 that blows up the first time you turn it on?
The KK also comes with a gate built in, very nice feature if you're using it for high gain and high volumes.
Quote by rank-n-file
You have to pay for a guy to put the valves in.
You'd be lucky to get an 800 for 1000.
Plus if you buy a KK you'd have a warranty of sorts with it, but what happened if you get ripped off with some ****ty old 800 that blows up the first time you turn it on?
The KK also comes with a gate built in, very nice feature if you're using it for high gain and high volumes.

and it will still be cheaper then a ***ty reissue. trust me man Ive been using jcm800's for years now. most of the 800's i had cost me 900-1000 bucks. I always see them 1000 or so. kerry him self doesnt use his sig amp, he uses his 1982 jcm800 with the kt88's. have you play ever played an original 800 & a reissue 800? its a night & day difference.
Last edited by Devilman2020 at Nov 27, 2008,
Why would he want to confuse himself with all this hassle when he could just get a much simpler head?
I've played the KK head and the orig. 800 with the vertical inputs, both sounded similar, the KK had more gain and saturation to my ears.
Both were absolutely amazing.
have you ever tried them out while theyre cranked, the original sounds better at higher volume & even at low volumes the original sounds better. over all original jcm800's = win, rissues jcm800's = fail
Quote by eurotrashed
Isn't the JCM900 looked down by tone purists because it uses a diode to clip the signal, ie not natural tube distortion? I would go with the JCM800 and an overdrive pedal

erm... am I the only one who noticed this?

read carefully.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Devilman2020
have you ever tried them out while theyre cranked, the original sounds better at higher volume & even at low volumes the original sounds better. over all original jcm800's = win, rissues jcm800's = fail

Yes, that's the only way to test out a valve amp.
Even tho i favored the orig. over the KK, the KK is a very nice amp.
Slightly off the point from the Marshall - but i swapped the EL34s to KT88s in my Orange - made a MASSIVE difference!
It has that "more balls" sound - like an EQ put in front of the amp - it just feels more powerful - as previously mentioned!
Kerry does use his signature heads... He's had a few of them in the studio to, but i'm not sure if they made it on the albums.

The KK head does Slayer pretty well, and its not far off an original 800. And its not like there wasn't a huge variance in the sound of the original ones - its possible to get a reissue that sounds better!

I'd certainly go for the KK signature if your only looking thrash and metal tones.

If you want a more classic sounding 800 for hard rock/hair metal etc, definately try for an original, or a Splawn! Ceriatone's seem good too, but i've no experience.

I already have an 800 and i'm looking at getting a Splawn head too, as they are particularly nice!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by mck_776
Kerry does use his signature heads... He's had a few of them in the studio to, but i'm not sure if they made it on the albums.

The KK head does Slayer pretty well, and its not far off an original 800. And its not like there wasn't a huge variance in the sound of the original ones - its possible to get a reissue that sounds better!

I'd certainly go for the KK signature if your only looking thrash and metal tones.

If you want a more classic sounding 800 for hard rock/hair metal etc, definately try for an original, or a Splawn! Ceriatone's seem good too, but i've no experience.

I already have an 800 and i'm looking at getting a Splawn head too, as they are particularly nice!

Best post in the whole thread.
too everyone saying that a JCM 800 is 900- 1000 HAHAHA, ROTFFLMFAO..... i wish i really do, theres a Marshall JCM800 2204 50 watt head at the music store i use, $1400.

so ya, i`d buy it if i could since i use a MXR 10 band anyway.

JCM800 $1400
MXR 10 band $150
Noise gate $150

so like $1700, the JCM800 2203 KK is $1900, i`d probly just go with the Kerry King sig.
Quote by Slayerdeath
too everyone saying that a JCM 800 is 900- 1000 HAHAHA, ROTFFLMFAO..... i wish i really do, theres a Marshall JCM800 2204 50 watt head at the music store i use, $1400.
Stores sell used stuff at rip and run prices. You can get one for less than half that on Ebay.
These go to eleven...