I am in the market for a fender standard stratocaster (MIM). I have seen some with seymour duncan invaders on them. Will these pickups take away from the strat sound? I am trying to get the sound of Hendrix or John Frusciante so I want to be sure that I am not over paying for a guitar that doesnt give me the sound I am looking for.

Thanks in Advanced!

Cheers.
Quote by kckyle
if you want hendrix and john frusciante sound stick with the basic strat pups.

+1

If you want the beautiful clean sound of a Strat then keep it simple and keep it to low output single coils
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
cool thanks guys. That is what I thought but I wanted to be sure.
Quote by DSOTM80
+1

If you want the beautiful clean sound of a Strat then keep it simple and keep it to low output single coils

hm i always though the strats are high output pups, giving away that high cycle of humm
The stock strat pickups I've used in the mexican strats and some of the American strats have been sub-standard at best. Yeah, they are low output single coils, but they totally lack character. Swap them out with some decent sounding single coils and you will find your guitar sings sweetly.
Instead of the duncans, look for some vintage pickups, either fender or boutique. That'll help you nail the Froosh/Jimi tone.
Quote by Taniel_24
Instead of the duncans, look for some vintage pickups, either fender or boutique. That'll help you nail the Froosh/Jimi tone.

Thanks for the tip...I will check them out.
ya there are lots of options out there as far as pickups go, take a look around at some and you may find one you like....
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Quote by kckyle
hm i always though the strats are high output pups, giving away that high cycle of humm

Na man, the 60 cycle hum comes from the fact that its a single coil. I would imagine the higher the output the louder the hum cause it would pick up more interference.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I think the best pickups would be Custom Shop 69s, which are pretty low output and give a very Hendrix sound. Another option would be 57/62, which are also pretty vintage sounding, they came in my Strat stock, and they sound good for Hendrix (and Frusciante, because I believe that he uses Strats from that era, not entirley sure of the year though, I think it's 57 and 62, but oh well); roll off the mids and you get that really nice hollow sound. Well, you get that with most single coils really, but oh well.

Both made by Fender, and they're both awesome. Better than the ceramics that come stock with the Standard Strats, which tend to sound a wee bit more modern than the vintage ones. Of course, Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio give vintage sounding ones, but in my opinion, at least, Fenders sound better.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker

Both made by Fender, and they're both awesome. Better than the ceramics that come stock with the Standard Strats, which tend to sound a wee bit more modern than the vintage ones. Of course, Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio give vintage sounding ones, but in my opinion, at least, Fenders sound better.

What's the answer to everything? BARE KNUCKLES!
Get Bare Knuckles if you want to REALLY nail "that" tone. They're astounding. For Frusciante and Hendrix, I'd try the Mother's Milk set.
That's only if you can stretch to that price; they're amazing, but hell, you can get a reasonably good valve amp for that price!
If not, get what Macker said.

And yes, Duncan Invaders will DESTROY the Strat sound. Take all the qunitessential Strat character, chew on it, spit it out, stomp on it and viciously rape it until it's as broken as Hammett's Crybaby after a world tour.