Im playing a song in D Major. What minor pentatonic would fit the song? How do i find out?
B flat minor. you have to go down a third below and in the key of d minor b is flat
www.facebook.com/allbutimpossible

Live Arsenal

Guitars
ESP EC1000 FR
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
ESP H1000 Deluxe
Ibanez RG7321

Amp
Line 6 Valve HD 100 Head
Line 6 Spider Valve 412VS 412 Cab

Misc
Shure PGX14 Wireless
Korg DTR-1000
Why are you playing the minor pentatonic if the song is in D major? Use the D major scale. Also (side note), "key signature" is not the same as "key". A key signature is just a notational device.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by shockdoctor92
B flat minor. you have to go down a third below and in the key of d minor b is flat

No. The notes in Bb pentatonic minor would be Bb, Db, Eb, F, and Ab.... all of which would sound awful against a D major.

If you wanted to play diatonically, you would use Bm, as stated above. Those notes would be B, D, E, F# and A.

If you wanted it to sound 'bluesy' then you'd use the D pentatonic minor, which would be D, F, G, A, C. It is those 'wrong' notes that don't fit diatonically into the key of D (in this case, the F and C natural) that make it sound bluesy.

So... it depends on the feel you want.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by shockdoctor92

Relative minors are found by moving down a minor third. D down to Bb is a major third, so Bb minor would be incorrect; that's relative to Db major.