i've been thinking about starting a label to put my bands music out (when we record) but i'm not sure if its worth it. I know Danzig did it when they released Misfits ep's but do cd's have to be released under a label. or could we just record, make cd's and sell them?
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
You dont need a label to sell CD's. But getting a real label helps tremendously. It kinda defeats the purpose if its your label, since its the same as just making your own CD's.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
The difference between self releasing a CD and starting your own label to do so would be that there would be a contract when you sign to your own label. And thus, if anyone was to invest in your label, you'd be contractually agreed to work for them too.

You could form a co-operative with other local bands to start a label to release your own material but that might be a bit complicated.

Tbh, I would just self release, no contracts to forfil, no problems when investors come along.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
The difference between self releasing a CD and starting your own label to do so would be that there would be a contract when you sign to your own label. And thus, if anyone was to invest in your label, you'd be contractually agreed to work for them too.

You could form a co-operative with other local bands to start a label to release your own material but that might be a bit complicated.

Tbh, I would just self release, no contracts to forfil, no problems when investors come along.

This man writes truth.

This man also gets a cookie.

This man shall enjoy his cookie as well.
the only help a label does is distribute contracts and payout artists based on that contract....you should stick to the good work of DIY, do it yourself! no need to worry about anything,

whats the point of officially making a label? its worthless unless you have major connections for public relations, production, recording, pressing and distributing, as well as being involved in a wide network of promoters, merchandise management, artist management etc. And if you do have those connections, keep them and use them, no need to make things complicated....if you lack any of these things, you'd probably want to get yourself involved with an established label. otherwise, you can do it all on your own,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
thanks, i wasn't quite sure but i think i'll just go ahead a stick with the true punk style and do it myself
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")