1. Ask him if he is willing to wait a sec for the metal and learn the basics (if he's not, boot him)

2.Teach him to tune the damn thing (with a tuner or whatever)

3. Teach him some basic open chords (like Cmajor or Dmajor) and then put them into context with a song (greenday woks with simple chords like that)

4. Get him to start improing using notes from the chords he now knows (lots of bands like the Violent Femmes did this! take a look at Blister in the sun... the main riff is just the main notes from the C and G chords that play over it)

5. teach him the wonders of power chords!

6. give him some scales to do some slomo shredding over

7. while your doing all this... get him to suggest songs to learn

Since he's your friend, I've skipped the bits that might cause arguments (like reading music or doing theory) This plan is pretty much only preparing him for metal... add other **** if he wants more.
I'm sure theres other **** ive missed, I might edit it a bit later
Basics, as said. Everyone has to start with those, rather they want to end playing technical death metal, indie rock or blues. Any type of music begins with the same ideas.

That's more than a large enough task to begin with. I've given a lot of lessons and that takes an exceptional amount of time. It's a completely new way of thinking for those who haven't ever studied music.

Anyway, it's cool that you're helping out your friend. Best of luck.
My Rig:
Schecter 006 Diamond Series (Discontinued) Flat Black
Jackson JS30RR Metallic Blue
Line 6 Spider II 210
Boss TU-2
Sennheiser E835-S

Current Top 3:
Between the Buried and Me (Always)
The Faceless
Murder By Death
Every single one of you has missed out the best, most important advice for a newbie:

1. Teach him to hold a pick properly.
2. Teach him to pick downstrokes.
3. Make sure he can play them whilst stopping unwanted ringing strings.
4. Add a scale into the mix, maybe the open G Major scale.
5. Do this making sure he relaxes both hands, and his right hand is spread evenly and thumb position is correct.

Once he gets this down pretty cleanly, then you can add alternate picking, metronoming etc to the mix. Don't forget to teach him the notes on the guitar and get him to learn notes say up to the fifth fret - trust me this will save lots of time later.

If you teach him all this BEFORE he learns to play anything significant, he'll always have a natural instinct to play correctly.
Last edited by Inferrest at Nov 27, 2008,