I just got a volume control/attenuator pedal, but I don't know how to use it. Do I just use it as if it was a normal pedal? Plug it between my amp and guitar? or do I plug it in somewhere else?
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
If its a volume pedal then you just use it as a pedal... if its an actual attenuator then it goes between the head and the cab
A volume pedal and attenuator "pedal" aren't synonymous. An attenuator goes between your amp and your speaker so you can drive the amp hard, but your speaker only gets a small dose of the sound, reducing the overall level. A volume pedal reduces the amount of signal going into the amp. You could turn the amp up to 11 but if you turned the volume pedal down you wouldn't get powertube saturation because the signal going into the amp is weak.

Anyway, I've always put my volume pedal right after my tuner pedal after my guitar. My chain looks like this:

Guitar -> tuner -> volume -> other effects -> amp. But there are other ways to do it if you want.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

But wait... if you put the volume pedal before the preamp, wouldn't turning down the volume on the pedal be like rolling back the guitar volume? You'd loose a little volume, but mainly gain (if you have high gain...) would just drop off until it goes mute?

Well if you run it in the FX loop, shouldn't the volume literally just go down? Since you'd be turning the preamp's signal down, rather than the signal going INTO the preamp?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
But wait... if you put the volume pedal before the preamp, wouldn't turning down the volume on the pedal be like rolling back the guitar volume? You'd loose a little volume, but mainly gain (if you have high gain...) would just drop off until it goes mute?

Well if you run it in the FX loop, shouldn't the volume literally just go down? Since you'd be turning the preamp's signal down, rather than the signal going INTO the preamp?

Yes
Pretty much it.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Can you post a picture or link of what this is?

Because a volume pedal and attenuator are two completely different things. An attenuator in front of your amp or in your fx loop will cause problems and a volume pedal in between the amp and speakers will likely cause an electrical fire
http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUME-BOX-Attenuator-For-FENDER-Tube-Amps-VoodooMan_W0QQitemZ110315382716QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110315382716&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I got that, except I got one for crate tube amps

I'm pretty sure I just have to hook it up as if it was a normal pedal.

Anyways I've been using itand it's not exactly what I was looking for, but for spending only about $10 I don't really regret it. If I turn the knob down it makes my sound very muddy, kind of like queens of the stone age, which actually might be useful in the future.

So it's alright haha
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
That's not an actual attenuator... it's basically a volume pedal.

Attenuators go between the speaker cabinet and the head. (Or between the speaker/amplifier if it's a combo). An attenuator allows you to turn the master volume/gain way up, and then adjust the attenuators volume so it SOUNDS as though it's turned up, but the volume coming out is low.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."