So I live on the outskirts of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and they have these schools called the Governors Schools of Excellence. These schools range from international entrepreneurship, to the arts. They are 5 weeks over the summer for 10th and 11th grade students in PA held at various college campuses in the state.

Naturally I want to apply for the school of arts. You have to make it past 3 rounds of the selection process before being selected. These include recorded works and live auditions. 60 out of 400 applicants usually make the cut.

So for the application I'm going for guitar. But I have to choose between Performance, and Composition.

For Performance you have to cover a 2 songs of different genres that display your abilities. I hate learning other peoples songs.

Composition, however, is a song you created displaying all your abilities. Downside, they want a copy of the composition in music notation. I can't read or write music.

With 6 1/2 years playing experience and being the most advanced student out of my teachers' (don't look up my profile songs for reference, they are very old and suck, my playing has improved greatly) which one would benefit me more.

Also, is it possible to be able to at least understand sheet music by January 1st?

Sorry for the impressive wall.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by angus is god
So I live on the outskirts of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and they have these schools called the Governors Schools of Excellence. These schools range from international entrepreneurship, to the arts. They are 5 weeks over the summer for 10th and 11th grade students in PA held at various college campuses in the state.

Naturally I want to apply for the school of arts. You have to make it past 3 rounds of the selection process before being selected. These include recorded works and live auditions. 60 out of 400 applicants usually make the cut.

So for the application I'm going for guitar. But I have to choose between Performance, and Composition.

For Performance you have to cover a 2 songs of different genres that display your abilities. I hate learning other peoples songs.

Composition, however, is a song you created displaying all your abilities. Downside, they want a copy of the composition in music notation. I can't read or write music.

With 6 1/2 years playing experience and being the most advanced student out of my teachers' (don't look up my profile songs for reference, they are very old and suck, my playing has improved greatly) which one would benefit me more.

Also, is it possible to be able to at least understand sheet music by January 1st?

Sorry for the impressive wall.

What exactly do you play?
get your teacher to teach how to write music notation?

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
Once you understand the concept behind reading music it becomes fairly easy with practice.
A month of 6-8 hours of practice everyday will help alot and will probably be enough for you to pass a few rounds of testing.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
well tab it out in Guitar Pro (or TuxGuitar, a freeware equivalent) and it also displays it in standard notation
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
ya but then if I do get in and we have to write in standard notation I'm ****ed. I got this software, but what needed to know was if its possible.

So I should go for composition instead of performance?
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox