What are the differences between overdrive and distortion pedals? The reason I ask this is because I have only used distortions, and have never used an overdrive, and I can not find the right sound. Should I go with overdrive pedals?
Ok, technically, overdrive is a type of distortion, because distortion in general just refers to clipping.

But in most cases, for pedals people just use this strange and random jargon which leads to...

OD - Soft clipping
Distortion - hard clipping
Well that depends on your situation. What's your amp?

Generally, if you are using a pedal over a clean channel, you're going to need a distortion pedal to get those sounds. If you have an already distorted sound, you can use an OD to get that bit of extra gain and tighten up your sound a bit.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Well that depends on your situation. What's your amp?

Generally, if you are using a pedal over a clean channel, you're going to need a distortion pedal to get those sounds. If you have an already distorted sound, you can use an OD to get that bit of extra gain and tighten up your sound a bit.

ok, thanks! I will try out an od, and see if it works for me.