So today i was at band practice, playing out of my Peavey Valveking head through my XXX cab as usual. We had played for about an hour, and everything was good, until in the middle of a jam, i lost all sound.

We quit playing, and i notice that no sound whatsoever was coming out of the cab. I thought maybe that the cable in the back was faulty, so i put it on standby and replaced the cord. Everything was fine for about 10 minutes while we played until agan, I lost sound. But this time, the head was making a slight whislting sound and i could actually hear my playing very faintly in the head.

I quickly put it on standby and then shut it soon after. MY bandmates think it could be the tubes, but i dont know. The power amp tubes seem to be at their normal glow. What could possibly be wrong with it and how much could a repair or tube change cost?
Well, how long has it been since you changed your power tubes?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
probably well over a year. What really scared me was the whistling. I thought if the tubes were bad, the glow would change color?
Hmm...
Well, i'd just take it to a tech to get it checked out. By what i'm hearing, it SHOULD be the tubes. If they are the problem, it doesn't cost too much to get them replaced.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Kenster13
probably well over a year. What really scared me was the whistling. I thought if the tubes were bad, the glow would change color?

they shouldn't?

just because the power tubes are still lit doesn't mean they are functioning. The only part of the tube that should be glowing is the heater filament.
i am waiting for the day when i read. "Solid state amp problem"

i honestly would not know, ask a music store.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Tubes go faster if you run it at high volume alot. So a year in a band situation is normal for the power tubes to be replaced.
alright, ill be most likely taking it to a tech this weekend. Hopefully it is just the tubes and not something like a transformer.

Since i dont know anything about tubing an amp, how much would it cost to have a tech replace the power tubes. And would the amp have to be biased, etc?
cost would be up to the tech, it depends on how much they charge, and what tubes they choose.

i would say shop around a bit, but tube amp techs are hard to find...

and a good tech will check the bias when the tubes are installed to be sure the tubes are within their operating specs...
im a blues man, but a good man, understand?