I need some GG&A help.

I have a Crate v33-212, and while the cleans are good, the overdrive channel...it's bad.

My main problem with it is that it's VERY dark, and I can't seem to solve that, even by boosting the treble via an EQ, and the treble dimed on the amp itself. I'm very frustrated.

My question(s) are:
1) How can I solve this? Or can I even solve this?
2) Is there anyway that I can get EL34's in the amp (it comes with EL84's stock)? I really like the early breakup that the EL34's have.

While I'm at it -
I recently bought a Marshall GV-2 Guv'nor pedal. The crunch that this thing has is great, but there's not enough gain for my liking. While I was on the Guitar Center run that eventually spawned the GV-2, I got rid of my Metal Muff because it sounds way too tinny and lifeless for me in front of my amp.

So, another question:
What's a good distortion pedal that I can get Iron Maiden style metal with (that is full-bodied, I don't want tinny crap again)? I've looked and saw the Marshall Jackhammer has a lot of gain and a similar crunch to the GV-2 (read good reviews, don't know if anyone has it here), but what would you guys recommend? I'm perfectly fine with going boutique, I just want something that I can work with. (I'll do an OD as well if I can get the brightness of the overdrive channel solved.)

I'm very frustrated because I can't work with my OD channel at all, and I can't find a pedal to replicate the Marshall DSL100 as closely as possible. Thanks in advance!
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Last edited by Idiosyncracy at Nov 27, 2008,
why would you wanna replicate a DSL?....anyhow i tried the V33 and found the OD channel very dark too played with a les paul...then i tried a strat and it solved the problem
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Otsugua713
why would you wanna replicate a DSL?....anyhow i tried the V33 and found the OD channel very dark too played with a les paul...then i tried a strat and it solved the problem

TBH, I want to replicate the DSL because it's the amp that my favorite guitarist, Dave Murray uses. I'm not trying to copy his sound, but I want that Marshall high-gain crunch without dropping $3k that I don't have on an actual Marshall.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
try this pick up a maxon od808 & these settings

Maxon od808
overdrive - 0
tone - 5
balance - 10

Crate v33
gain - 6 to 8
treble - 8 or 9
mid - 10
bass - 2

I can always get some good maiden & priest tones outta this amp
Last edited by Devilman2020 at Nov 27, 2008,
I'd try changing out the preamps to something brighter sounding. Tung-Sols are a fairly bright sounding preamp tube.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, i'd give some different (brighter) tubes a shot.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
so Tung-Sol's can help the brightness issue, what about pushing it into Maiden territory? Should I just do the Maxon 808?
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
For pushing it into Maiden territory, a maxon 808 would be a good idea.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'm reasonably sure Dave does not use DSL's. Recording, (as far as I know) he uses old 800's, and most recently on tour he was using JVM heads.

JVM heads info based on an interview here on UG a while back.

and I also suggest EQ pedal (if you have FX loop, best success there) and OD.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
trust me, my idea works. just try it. I believe dave was using the dsl's in the early & mid 2000's
Last edited by Devilman2020 at Nov 27, 2008,
Yeah, the Rock in Rio era sound is the one that I'm trying to get close to, so I'll definitely try out the Maxon.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Apparently once the speakers have been "Broken in", the excess low-end is lifted... I also own a V33 2x12...

And I have an eq pedal to take care of a lot of the low end... BUT... without the EQ, I use these settings for a good crunch:

Treble: 8
Mid:6/7
Bass: 1-3
Gain: 3-5
How does the Guvnor work in conjunction with the amp distortion?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The speakers have a lot to do with it. Throw in some Warehouse Green Berets or Weber Silver Bells, or some Celestion CL80's.

Also, it's a dark voiced channel by nature. If you don't like it, then you don't like it. Doesn't make it bad.

The settings I use on mine are mids-10, bass-4, treble-6.5, boost on, presence on, gain at 5, boosted with a Digitech Screamin Blues. It gives me a good 'rock' tone.
i have a V18 and i just got an EQ pedal and use it as a boost as well and it seems to do pretty well!

Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
Quote by steven seagull
How does the Guvnor work in conjunction with the amp distortion?

The Guvnor works well in the sense that it adds some extra gain and doesn't darken anything moreso than it already is w/o making the OD channel overly muddy, but it's noisy as all get out. Other than that, the Marshall-esque crunch and tone that they're known for and that the Guv'nor can provide is completely lost when using it conjunction with the OD channel.

At the moment, I'm using an old DS-1 that I have as a level boost only so I can get some extra grit and crunch, so my chain is Crybaby ---> DS-1 ---> Guv'nor, but it adds a BUNCH of noise and colors the tone of the Guv'nor alone just barely enough to be noticeable and annoying.

And yes, I know I'm picky, but I know what I want and don't know how to get it '

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, should I just put all 4 of my power tubes back in and buy the 50 watt Weber MASS attenuator and see what I can get with everything cranked? I haven't even gotten to crank anything on the amp, but I don't know if it will help anything, but if I can get some brighter preamp tubes to help the OD channel's throatyness, then I might just need to get an OD pedal and stop worrying about distortion altogether. Does that sound reasonable at all?

One more edit: If I ended up getting the MASS, would the Guv'nor provide any more gain when cranked, or does that simply turn the volume up on an already dimed gain level?
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Last edited by Idiosyncracy at Nov 28, 2008,
Sorry for the double post, but here's my update -

So I go to Guitar Center to look into the Maxon OD808, when I decide to get bold and try out the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. Comparing them side by side, the Maxon definitely sounded GREAT, but the "High" control on the CM-2 definitely solved a lot of the throaty-bassy-darkness that the v33 has for an OD channel. I decided to get it (85 bucks, woot for 15% off at GC)

I bring it home to fiddle with it, and I found a good NWOBHM (particularly Iron Maiden) sound with the amp's overdrive channel and the CM-2:

Amp:
Gain - 8-10 depending on the level (8 right now, increase as level increases)
Level - Since I'm in my bedroom and it's 11:02 p.m, so my level is right at 1
Treble - 9
Mids - 10
Bass - 6-7 (mine's at 6.5)
Reverb - 1.5 (for fun)
Engage Boost and Presence switches.

CM-2:
Level - 3 (mine's on the 2nd dot after 3)
Gain - 10
Low - 4 (mine's on the 2nd dot after 4)
High - 9 (mine's on the 3rd dot after 9)
The Classic/Modified switch should be set to Classic

-I personally have a Crybaby from Hell before the CM-2 for lead boosts.
-If you roll your guitar's volume knob back, you can lessen the grit that the OD provides, so you can go pretty much from Blues - Rock - Metal all with your guitar's volume knob with the above settings.

It's a pretty good sound IMHO, and I think it helps brighten up the amp's overdrive channel enough to not sound too top heavy, but not being too dark and throaty.

I hope this helps someone else in the future!
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1