Ok, so the band I started a month ago almost has a full line up now minus a bass player. I have put adds out on criegslist.org, along with other sites, and even asked around, but still no luck on finding a bass player in my area.

The only other idea I have is to post flyers in my local cd/music stores. If this fails, should I try and make a guitar player I know into a bass player?

I'm honestly running out of ideas here and would appreciate help in any way.
I had this exact same f*ckin problem. Bassists, and good ones mind you, are probably the hardest part of a band to come by. They're extremely elusive, like bigfoot or a hard working black guy.

Basically my advice is ask anyone and everyone you know who's even slightly interested in music if they play bass, know someone who does, or knows someone that knows someone that plays bass. You basically gotta be like a broken record with this.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
I'm a bass player and your best bet if advertising doesn't work, just get your band to put in for a starter bass and find a guitarist willing to play bass.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
As an adequate bassist myself, I've never had this problem. But I can imagine that decent bassists are hard to find because I'm in six bands now.

If you really need a bassist then you should ask everyone you know if they possibly know someone who might know someone else who plays bass. Or you'll have to look out of town for one.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
If you have a keyboardist you could pull a Doors and just have him play the basslines with his left hand ala Ray Manzarek.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
If you have a keyboardist you could pull a Doors and just have him play the basslines with his left hand ala Ray Manzarek.

This is a good idea.

If you're in school step into one of the music classes and check out who's hittin the low notes (playing bass), most school bands have a bass player.

If not, I'd check out some Coffee Houses, Bar Gigs or maybe a Fair. You can usually find a dude and hang out with him for a bit while he's not playing. Get to know him, phone # and you're in. Finding a bass player is like picking up a chick in these cases .

Good luck, lol
Quote by FFTLxx
I'm a bass player and your best bet if advertising doesn't work, just get your band to put in for a starter bass and find a guitarist willing to play bass.

I wouldn't do that, because a guitarist playing bass isn't the same as a bassist playing bass. Guitarist don't think the same way a bassist do. Also, if the person wanted to play bass they would be playing bass in the first place instead of guitar.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Quote by Helloween_rox
Bassists, and good ones mind you, are probably the hardest part of a band to come by. They're extremely elusive, like bigfoot or a hard working black guy.

This is an ignorant, racist comment that has no place on this thread or on this forum.

At any rate, reported.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by BHowell
This is an ignorant, racist comment that has no place on this thread or on this forum.

At any rate, reported.

Really, a good racist joke is hard to come by though. I see no harm in it, as white jokes exist too.