Page 1 of 2
Here's what I've got!
Specs:
Maple value village neck with fir (2x4 wood) headstock.
Fir body (two pieces of rescued firewood joined badly down the center)
Pickups for free out of friends smashed Washburn (I plan on changing these)
Bridge, tuners, potentiometer, beastly switch, and jack plate from ebay store bezdez for $30-60 (I can't remember)
And to top it all off rustoleum paint with a nitrocellulose clear coat (que the oohs and aahs)

I should have it finished by about this weekend

and now for pictures!

Edit: Btw this is my first build, ever.
Attachments:
Guitar 1.jpg
Guitar 2.jpg
Guitar 3.jpg
Guitar 4.jpg
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Nov 27, 2008,
i like the art deco style tuning machines... nice touch
Thank you please.
Damn, you've got the headstart on the rest of us! Some of us have to use Christmas to get parts for this! Gah!

Nice shape though, I want to see how this looks all finished
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
nice leviman you look on track to get this thing finished in no time, well done. What is the headstock shape? Looks weird (in a good way ).
ghetto look :P
i have a 100gbp build going atm...im up to £45 and its all there lol!!! just need neck screws and 2 frets lol
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by guitarcam123
Soft light wood is usually the worst wood for guitars both tone wise and it may warp/ bend

No it isn't. Softwoods are very resonant, that's why they use them for acoustic guitar tops.

And yes, it might.
Ya, I'm aware of that but hey i saved money right? haha I actually started this a long time ago before i knew we had clamps that could span the width of a guitar, so i just kinda set the two pieces of wood together and had lots of glue, then just like c clamped the seams haha. so the body is very wonky (it's also got looooots of wood filler in it hahahah).
I've got a picture of a drawing of the headstock here (don't know if i'll make that logo a reality or not). Also the headstock is kinda disproportionate to the body, the body's quite small and the headstock is huge. haha
Attachments:
Levi Guitar Headstock.jpg
hmm. makes me think elf hat..

im in love with those tuners though
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
the best part about those tuners, $16.50! I've got the neck sealed and ready for clear and i painted the backside of my plexiglass pickgaurd white so it'll be rediculously shiny (like a apple computer). But it may not be done this weekend, I'm going skiing tommarow, ooooh darn. hahaha

Edit: Added pictures of pickgaurd and pickup!
Attachments:
Guitar 7.JPG
Guitar 8.JPG
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Nov 27, 2008,
you lucky bastard. getting to go skiing before me (northern Ontario my ass)

where did you find those tuners? They look sweet

EDIT: That Link hat headstock looks sweet
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Nov 28, 2008,
very nice. You seem to be getting a lot of bang for your buck with this build. I'm loving the dice knobs as well, I did that on some distortion pedals a while back.

Keep up the good work!
do a relic job and make it look vintage
it will look awesome!

have you got a truss rod for the neck, cause using soft wood for a neck its surely going to warp, even with a truss rod, maybe a dual action truss rod?
CobenBlack: well i had started before you even posted the thing about the contest, but it fit the bill so i figured i'd stick it on here.

guitarcam123: its a maple neck, not fir like the rest of it but yeah it's got a truss rod. its actually a really nice neck for the $15 i payed for it lol. and I thought about relicing it but nah, I wouldn't do that to something that's not factory, just wouldn't seem right.
i still say elf hat
looks good though
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I, too, was skeptical with the head stock. But ouch! You proved me wrong. That looks amazing!
I put it together! It plays fine and sounds good too! Should have a youtube video up soon. Thanks for the comments, it looks smoother in pictures than in real life though haha, the finish aint so hot but hey first build right? So what should i call this thing?
Attachments:
Guitar 13-s.JPG
link to video plz
does it sound good?
how much did it cost, look really nice
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
This is looking nice... I've really got to get started on mine

LeviMan, check your PMs, I sent you one with a question since I didn't want to threadjack
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
What a sweet looking guitar! Has a little bit of that vintage Danelectro look to it, very funky.
Dude, me likey. Looks a little like plastic IMO? Kinda 70's ish.

What was the original make of the body/neck?
dandadog: I made the body! the neck is a mystery with my own headstock added on.
Total cost somewhere between $30-$60 after i bought the parts it was 60 something but then they gave me some money back (can't remember how much). I'm working on the video.
Coolcat13: I didn't get the Pm.

I got the video up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV1fnBFa498
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7b9W9nWxAc
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Dec 1, 2008,
this is inspiring. its good to know that:
poor(?) wood choice +
poor craftsmanship (body gluing) +
questionable design (headstock) +
cheap parts (neck/tuners) +
first build =/=
poor results

that thing looks sweet, headstock and all.
i want to build a guitar but i worried that it would turn out horrible, nothing would fit, it might fall apart under string tension, it might look horrible, etc.

you have soundly laid my fears to rest. not only can anybody make a cool guitar, it doesnt even have to cost alot.

this guitar turned out great and it is clearly MUCH more than simply the sum of its parts. congratulations. best 100gpb build ive seen so far.
I like that you actually made it all yourself, a real build instead of a customization or modification

How were bezdez as far as quality and service? I've been looking at them, and of course I'm not expecting perfection for those prices, I just need something workable, ya know?
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
as wonky and wobbly as that is, It's a thing of beauty, and I hope you're proud of it!

Sounds decent, and intonated pretty well considering not changes were made! Great job!
------

Shwiggity.
Page 1 of 2